Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi everybody,

I am working on a deck Event Cards for Cthuhlhu. My main motivation is multiple :
- whereas with all expansions, a lot of units come in the game, it appears to that in a first stance, it will complexify the game because you have to master a little bit each independant monsters, units and spellbooks. One easy solution is to introduce these new features one by one in subsequents games but it can take a long time to have all your players feel comfortable. So i develop this deck to help introduce new units easily : they come by event possibly (but not only in fact).
- i wanted to enforce the myths flavour of the game. Adding units, monsters, and spellbooks, nice but i don't have to make a zoo so my events cards introduces new units and monsters with some special rules and texts to help to tell us the true story of the end of the world.
- i want to introduce some events more linked to the weird ambient of the cthulhu mythos.
- i want to have event cards that doesn't imbalance the game but provides players with hard choices.
- i want more fun !

To play with these cards :
1) Two phases ared added :
- An Event Phase before the Gather Phase : Only one thing to do : Draw a card and apply its text (see 2) below) ;
- A final Event Phase after the Action Phase : apply Final Event Card text of each active Event Card ;

2) No Event Card phases the first turn of the game
3) On Each card :
Lowest DP means the player with the lowest doom points amount manage the effect of the card. If tied players with lowest DP amount, first player chooses who between the tied player will manage the effect of the card.
Highest DP : Same thing but the player with the highest doom points amount chooses
Second lowest : straightforward
Vote For XXX : Except if otherwise stated, each player has one vote and first player breaks the tie. Vote are done following the current order of the turn and when the vote begins, no bargain are allowed (to avoid unlimited bargains or if you prefer, let one minute and then First player votes and no more bargain).
4/ The number of active event cards is limited by the fact than you cannot have more than X active Great Old Ones event cards in the same turn with x being equalled to the number of players minus 2.

I will correct cards below to clearly specify which cards are Great Old Ones event cards (it's straightforward if you know the mythos but some cards needs some precision. For example, Daoloth's impossible Tesseract is NOT a Great Old One Event card)

Last but not the least, when the first round of the PBF league will finish, i will launch a special PBF with this cards !! To enlist, post here, i will create a classic table with the 4 factions of the core game and one with all the seventh factions)

My deck is now composed of more than 10 cards : I haven't yet finish the deck but you can see below a sample of three almost finished cards :

Images are taken from varied sources and will be changed if necessary (i am absolutely not and illustrator).

i wait for comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arturo Cavari
Italy
Bolonga
FI
flag msg tools
Maybe on earth...
badge
...maybe in the future
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds cool!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Farris
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
There is a duck in every game. You may not see it, but it's there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just gotta split hair. bokrug is the doom that came to Sarnath, not the avenger, unless it committed suicide immediately after destroying the place. Perhaps Destroyer of Sarnath would be more apt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is a very good start. There are a lot of interesting things it can add to the game.

My only real concern is that most of those cards are extremely wordy and may put off some players.

Adding some simpler ones would help like:
GOOS have their combat reduced by 3 this turn.
Monsters have their combat increased by 1.
Cultists can not move this turn.
Players pay 1 extra to summon a monster this turn.
Players lose 1 doom point if they build a gate this turn.

That way every turn that there is an event there is not a huge amount of reading added.

Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
three things :
1°) Some cards are directly adapted from Independant monsters and GOOs that are present in the official expansions of the game. My idea is at the same time to stick to this and to introduce some effect that aren't too much near from a simple twist of the rules.
2°) bring some funny effect that come down to a real adversity to any players and also stick closer to some weirder aspects of the Mythos.

yes, they are wordy but not more than rule for official independant monsters and GOOs. It makes also players to think about how to manage this events just like the expansions maps Yuggoth and Dreamlands do.
For example, look at my new Ubbo-Sathla devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Storm
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep...too wordy. Too 'fiddely'.

Streamline and simplify both the action and the text, otherwise I LIKE the attempt at game modification and variance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calvin chow
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it... Might want to consider adding a die roll to see if an event is triggered that round--maybe a kill or pained result on one die?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nunez
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Did u create those cards or borrow the images from another game? Cool I ideaI was heading in a similar direction, outside events,regarding area desecrated by KiY.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mikenunez wrote:
Did u create those cards or borrow the images from another game? Cool I ideaI was heading in a similar direction, outside events,regarding area desecrated by KiY.

I borrow the images from various web sites. Again i not only wanted event cards but Thematic event cards that enforces the feel to be in the Mythos. My ideas are not so orginal, some cards are just adaptation of rules coming from the official expansions, and it's sometimes difficult to concatenate/adpat these rules in a short version. I will comment and change also the current cards to fix them in order to :
1/ shorten the text when possible
2/ make them playable and fun.

For example, Atlach-Nacha is only interesting if it comes soon in the game and it then represents a true threat to all players : they will to counteract against Atlach-Nacha to stop her, but it will be a matter for players heading the game in DPs. After the earlier game, Atlach-Nacha doesn't have any chance to have time to waive her (his ?) cosmic web and so the event becomes pointless.

Another challenge is to decide how to mitigate arrival of events to avoid a accumulation of events that burdens the game. The game "Chaos in The Old World" have a similar issue and manages it quite well by capping the number of active events. But here, my events are big ones and i don't necessarily want to see them fade away "because room has to be done".

A first solution is to have an equilibrium between permanent events introducing neutral and hostile GOOs (like Atlach Nacha, Ubbo-Sathla etc.) and smaller "instant" ones like "Last Stance of the Fallen race" above". Maybe a final deck can have one half of Permanent events with one half of Instant Events...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
harri laaksonen
Finland
turku
flag msg tools
i really like the idea of event cards introducing neutral monsters and goo's. that way you could start with none and then have the event cards bring some in as the game advances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I will update soon the cards with some improvments and rewording and with some new cards : more little twists of rules than GOO's event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it quite much, but yes: let's try to have a few text as possible on the cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Pitpipo wrote:
I like it quite much, but yes: let's try to have a few text as possible on the cards

yes, the trick is to complete the cards with a mini-rulebook to put there rules common to all event cards.
Another topic is to reduce the "riot" effect so that not too much cards apply at the same time

Also, i use a card Editor dedicated to Magic The Gathering, it produces nice cards but it also constrains strongly in the design... I am Going to develop a little cards editor under Excel.

Last but not least, propose me ideas of new cards. :goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Three more cards :

Cthulhu FTaghn !

Any objective comments to improve this very appreciated !!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I add the rule that you cannot have more active GOO event cards than the number of players minus 2. Simply when a third GOO event card appears, there is no additional event for the turn.

I will correct cards below to clearly specify which cards are Great Old Ones event cards (it's straightforward if you know the mythos but some cards needs some precision. For example, Daoloth's impossible Tesseract is NOT a Great Old One Event card)

Last but not the least, when the first round of the PBF league will finish, i will launch a special PBF with this cards !! To enlist, post here, i will create a classic table with the 4 factions of the core game and if asked one with all the seventh factions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Storm
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simplify. One of two sentences max, like 'the stars are not right' example. Too wordy and too much additional dice rolling will add more time to turns ect. Try for another design that doesn't look like MTG, otherwise I'm still liking your idea, here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
i work on higher definition of image and custom cards no longer like MTG. for the text, my purpose is to introduce more thematically units from the offcial expansions, some from un-official and some new ideas...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
ppayes wrote:
Simplify. One of two sentences max, like 'the stars are not right' example. Too wordy and too much additional dice rolling will add more time to turns ect. Try for another design that doesn't look like MTG, otherwise I'm still liking your idea, here.

Remember that these cards are also highly based on the neutral units existing in the expansion and so their 'wordy' feature just come from the fact i want to adapt these rules into event cards so that the introduction of neutral units is more natural thematically speaking than the actual official rules that look like more a slave or market with units working like mercenaries than trully neutral units...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Gourion
France
Paris
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi verybody,

i post here the new version of my event cards deck. The updated rules will be posted soon. The cards have been updated in taking into account the remarks and the conclusions from test games (and one with the DVM minis !!).

All goes toward rules lot simpler to ease the flow of the game:

The cards:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.