Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Southwest

Subject: Looking for Austin area group rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Pen
United States
Austin
TEXAS
flag msg tools
I am fairly new to the board game hobby, been collecting for the past 3 months but I've been hooked thanks to my friends in West Texas, I've been living in the Austin area for about a year and am very serious about joining or creating a game group with like minded people who love board games. Please message me if you would like to get a session going or anything like that, I also live fairly close to Emerald Tavern which is a small but very nice game store that I frequently go to and could be a possible meet up place.

danceN2oblivion
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
danceN2oblivion wrote:
I am fairly new to the board game hobby, been collecting for the past 3 months but I've been hooked thanks to my friends in West Texas, I've been living in the Austin area for about a year and am very serious about joining or creating a game group with like minded people who love board games. Please message me if you would like to get a session going or anything like that, I also live fairly close to Emerald Tavern which is a small but very nice game store that I frequently go to and could be a possible meet up place.

danceN2oblivion

Emerald isn't a good place to find a game, most folks play with who they planned to meet there. Some meet up groups do meet there, so you can watch for them.

Great Hall is on N. Lamar near Half Price Books. They have different gaming on different days. They are having their annual auction on Sat 15th at noon. Won't be room to play, you can chat with folks and buy some bargain used games.

Sundays at Silver Grill isn't too far from you and they play 2:00-close (9/10?) I'll be there at 2:00 for a game or 2.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timur Tabi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Search on meetup.com for various Austin gaming groups. There is one that meets regularly at Emerald Tavern. However, it appears that might be changing, since it looks like ET wants to charge $80/table to make table reservations, which would kill any meetups there.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam Houston wrote:
danceN2oblivion wrote:
I am fairly new to the board game hobby, been collecting for the past 3 months but I've been hooked thanks to my friends in West Texas, I've been living in the Austin area for about a year and am very serious about joining or creating a game group with like minded people who love board games. Please message me if you would like to get a session going or anything like that, I also live fairly close to Emerald Tavern which is a small but very nice game store that I frequently go to and could be a possible meet up place.

danceN2oblivion

Emerald isn't a good place to find a game, most folks play with who they planned to meet there. Some meet up groups do meet there, so you can watch for them.

Great Hall is on N. Lamar near Half Price Books. They have different gaming on different days. They are having their annual auction on Sat 15th at noon. Won't be room to play, you can chat with folks and buy some bargain used games.

Sundays at Silver Grill isn't too far from you and they play 2:00-close (9/10?) I'll be there at 2:00 for a game or 2.

Can you describe the auction more?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Hendrix

Leander
Texas
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is the guild on BGG that is in the Austin area that meets usually once a week at various member homes.

https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/1105
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What games have you acquired and what types of games do you prefer? I have a regular Tuesday night group here in Round Rock and I currently have one regular seat available. We typically play medium weight Euros that take 1-2 hours. Start time is 6-630 and we usually play until about 10.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pen
United States
Austin
TEXAS
flag msg tools
I've posted most of the games that I own on my account, but the most recent games that I've acquired are Cosmic Encounter, Tragedy Looper, Twilight Struggle, Skull, and Alchemists. Honestly I will play anything, as I said in my earlier thread I am somewhat new and am willing to play any type of mechanic, theme or genre of game. So far what I've play that I would say that I prefer though is either dungeon crawlers, co-op, and 1v1s like battlecon and twilight struggle
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pen
United States
Austin
TEXAS
flag msg tools
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. my work is near N. Lamar so I'll check out the Great Hall out in the next few days
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian K
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't miss out on Wonko's on Wednesday evenings at 7:00 until an often late night closing.

Look for the 'Central Texas Boardgames' group on meetup.com
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
tabicat wrote:
Search on meetup.com for various Austin gaming groups. There is one that meets regularly at Emerald Tavern. However, it appears that might be changing, since it looks like ET wants to charge $80/table to make table reservations, which would kill any meetups there.


Lordy? $80? Any links/discussions of it online?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timur Tabi
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fenners wrote:
tabicat wrote:
Search on meetup.com for various Austin gaming groups. There is one that meets regularly at Emerald Tavern. However, it appears that might be changing, since it looks like ET wants to charge $80/table to make table reservations, which would kill any meetups there.


Lordy? $80? Any links/discussions of it online?


http://www.meetup.com/Boards-and-Brews/messages/76763006/
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TabletopToday wrote:
Here is the guild on BGG that is in the Austin area that meets usually once a week at various member homes.

https://boardgamegeek.com/guild/1105


Folks put the games they'd like to sell on the online list. The store auctions them off on March 15th starting at noon. Seller gets to set the opening bid/minimum. Money goes to the store. Seller gets a store credit, with no expiration date. Like trading your old games for new games, and the buyer gets a bargain with no shipping fees.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
tabicat wrote:


Thanks, tabicat!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my wife and I will drop by Emerald tomorrow night. Sorry to hear about that awful reservation charge.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan, drop me a line the next time you hit Austin. Would love to meet up with you!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chargetheguns wrote:
I think my wife and I will drop by Emerald tomorrow night. Sorry to hear about that awful reservation charge.


I was there for the first time two weeks ago and bought 3 beers. It is a nice venue.

As I understand it, they have had 'trouble' with freeloaders who just want to show up, buy nothing, and use the game space while people who would pay money at least for food and drink, can't find a table.

I'm not sure this approach will be successful but I wish them well. It is a fairly unique venue that I'd like to see flourish.

Their policy on 'first come first served' tables and drink/food requirements are certainly reasonable imo.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sduke wrote:
chargetheguns wrote:
I think my wife and I will drop by Emerald tomorrow night. Sorry to hear about that awful reservation charge.


I was there for the first time two weeks ago and bought 3 beers. It is a nice venue.

As I understand it, they have had 'trouble' with freeloaders who just want to show up, buy nothing, and use the game space while people who would pay money at least for food and drink, can't find a table.

I'm not sure this approach will be successful but I wish them well. It is a fairly unique venue that I'd like to see flourish.

Their policy on 'first come first served' tables and drink/food requirements are certainly reasonable imo.



they may be doing this instead of just saying they don't want groups. They can fill the tables with paying customers every evening.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ik ben een kleine boefje
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
2006/2011 (Amsterdam - Maastricht - Apeldoorn - Den Haag -Delft) Vijf jaar dat ik ga nooit vergeten.
badge
Warning: Very handsome user.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in the Arboretum area, in Jollyville Road with Morado Circle. I mostly play Android Netrunner and magic, but would play any other game too, specially I am very fond of eurogames. Problem is that most of my free time is during the morning time, since I am currently working during the afternoon and evening hours as well as many weekend. Anyway if you want to play Magic, Android Netrunner or anything you have during the morning time consider my place as yours, you would be very welcomed.

We can also try to have some games in the Dragon Liar, I have been a few times and was cool. Emerald is fantastic too, but 80$ per table. Ouch.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gelete wrote:
I live in the Arboretum area, in Jollyville Road with Morado Circle. I mostly play Android Netrunner and magic, but would play any other game too, specially I am very fond of eurogames. Problem is that most of my free time is during the morning time, since I am currently working during the afternoon and evening hours as well as many weekend. Anyway if you want to play Magic, Android Netrunner or anything you have during the morning time consider my place as yours, you would be very welcomed.

We can also try to have some games in the Dragon Liar, I have been a few times and was cool. Emerald is fantastic too, but 80$ per table. Ouch.

if you just walk in there is no charge - yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ik ben een kleine boefje
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
2006/2011 (Amsterdam - Maastricht - Apeldoorn - Den Haag -Delft) Vijf jaar dat ik ga nooit vergeten.
badge
Warning: Very handsome user.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah ok, so you have to pay only in case you make a reservation. Well it makes sense in case of a no show... I understand the reason. Then this spot is as good for me as used to be before, also I use to visit the Sherlock pub which is next by, and it is quite close from my place.

Thanks for the info Sam.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
they may be doing this instead of just saying they don't want groups.

Or at least groups that fill the store but don't buy anything. Perfectly understandable, imo.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Richbourg
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
This is Kyoshi, our adopted Shiba Inu.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's certainly full here tonight.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Grabert
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Central Texas' biggest board game convention! Every August!
badge
Board Game Bash; Austin, TX; www.boardgamebash.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Brandon. Welcome to the Austin board gaming scene. Austin has a large and active board game community, so you won't find a shortage of public game nights.

In addition to the other nights mentioned, come on down to South Austin Game Night. We meet on Tuesdays from 6 to 11 down at Tribe Comics and Games on S. Lamar. The store has about 10 gaming tables, and they're usually full of people playing stuff. It's a great crowd.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Stevens
msg tools
New to the BG scene, but am looking for people to play with in Austin as well. I am interested in meeting up with a group at emerald if possible! Please PM me on here if you want to possibly meet up this weekend!

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gurrry wrote:
New to the BG scene, but am looking for people to play with in Austin as well. I am interested in meeting up with a group at emerald if possible! Please PM me on here if you want to possibly meet up this weekend!



Usually room in my Tuesday night game in Round Rock. Geekmail me and we can discuss if interested.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.