Subject: Two annoyances... Cards and being a new collector rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David SL
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hey all,

I've just launched into X-Wing with gusto, collecting the Scum and Villainy faction. I used to be completely ambivalent about X-Wing, I found the ships all too boring and samey, and when my friend started getting heavily into it I lamented that our game time would be shared with his and his friends full commitment to this system. Then, more recently, I played it a couple of times, and I really enjoyed it. The waves released have really improved the game, making each side very interesting and varied. And then Scum and Villainy was announced, a side that genuinely appeals to me. My other two friends collect Rebels and Imperials, my closest friend owning both. Finally I was able to join the game and actually be excited about it, finally I was able to be unique!

This is where my first annoyance comes in. My friends loves my ships, and he is talking about buying some as well. OK, fair enough, I knew this would happen, but I've tried explaining to him that I'm only going to collect this faction. I'm not buying other ships, so don't really have the option to switch around except with him from time to time, which is fine. His passion for collecting 'my' side is making me feel a little less enthusiastic, as silly as that sounds.

But my main grumble is this, and the geniuses at FFG have created something of a catch 22 here (which is great for them) - without collecting other factions, I cannot fully utilise my faction. I can't get a lot of the neutral cards that my friends have. I can't have all the upgrades and modifications that they have without buying 'their' ships.

Ok, so the first complaint is silly, I know that. I love the game, and my friends are so passionate about it that it's actually fun to sit and watch them play, and discuss cards and all that jazz, plus it gives me more social time with them so it's all good. But the second grumble is a real complaint about the product, why can't there be card packs to buy separately??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Stone is the name and Art is my game!
badge
What number are we thinking of? 69!
mbmbmbmbmb
if you are just playing with friends proxy the cards, the only reason you need the cards is tournament play, if you go to tournament, borrow the cards you need.

most of the squad builders tell you all of the cards and what they do, work from there to make your lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One problem solved, compliments of BGOrion:

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/104497/catalog-all-upgrade...

Regarding the second problem - there are going to be times when two of the same factions face off, this is allowed even in tournament play. It's not really thematic but the one good thing about Scum and Villainy is that this isn't necessarily out of the realm of possibily when it comes to them; there are certainly going to be times when they butt heads. If you want your S&V to be a little different then your friends, all you have to do is add a little paint to your ships in spots to make them different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lee
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb

You can always trade upgrade cards with your friends, esp. those who collect ships of a certain side (rebel, empire).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Nopa
United States
Addison
Texas [TX]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can buy some upgrade cards online, either through ebay or other sources (search Team Convenant, who also sells excellent acrylic alternatives to FFG's OP/Tournament acrylics)

Not ideal, but it is a workaround to buying a huge collection.

As for me, I buy everything, as I enjoy playing all sides and am not tied to theme or side entirely. But, I hear you, and sometimes wish FFG would sell just the cards, and sometimes just extra dials/ship templates separately. (for instance, I have plenty of Z-95's... now I have about 10 of them...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're not playing in a tournament, then just 'proxy' the card. In other words, find an image of the card, print it up and just use it. The only time you actually need the physical card is if you're playing in a tournament.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Paul
Germany
Offenburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can find all Cards in English online. Just google it
(I don't know if I can post the link here). So if you don't find it, just mail me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Waspinator
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Short answer: FFG wants you to collect the entire product line. This is not a game designed around buying only one faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for proxy. 9 times out of ten, we will play without any cards, just printed lists from one of the online squad builders. Makes for faster setup/cleanup too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The upgrade card situation is a bit BS from the FFG part though so I agree with the complaint.

Someone asked FFG if they'll ever sell card only expansions in the future and the answer was pretty much "won't happen".

Thankfully the situation is not as horrible as it could be and they are remedying some of it slowly. You don't have to buy A-wings anymore to get Push the Limits for TIE Interceptors and you don't have to buy Shuttles anymore to get Advanced Sensors for B-wings.

Personally I find it offensive that C-3PO costs $90, and the long awaited TIE Advanced fix costs $100 (though thankfully will include 4 copies of all the T/A upgrades).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hipsu wrote:

Personally I find it offensive that C-3PO costs $90, and the long awaited TIE Advanced fix costs $100 (though thankfully will include 4 copies of all the T/A upgrades).

I have to be honest, I fail to see how this is an "offensive" policy by FFG...I just see it as business. At the end of the day we are not compelled to buy a particular product from them. It's a matter of personal value. I had no intention of playing the Rebel Transport but I wanted the unique X-Wing and pilots for it. It was worth it to me even though the Transport, as I expected, has never seen play and is a decoration on my shelf. I passed on the Tantive IV because the upgrade cards weren't personally worth it to me. At no moment along the way did I think "FFG is offending me"...the choice was mine. Let the marketplace decide. If the Raider bombs FFG will change their policy...if it does well they won't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Smith
United States
Unspecified
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidSL wrote:

But my main grumble is this, and the geniuses at FFG have created something of a catch 22 here (which is great for them) - without collecting other factions, I cannot fully utilise my faction. I can't get a lot of the neutral cards that my friends have. I can't have all the upgrades and modifications that they have without buying 'their' ships.

If you're playing for fun with your friends I am not sure I see where the issue lies. I only play with my sons and my students at school(run a gaming club) so being a "completest" has never concerned me. I passed on the Tantive IV and I don't have C3P0...it has never once ruined anyone's fun that that card isn't on the table as there are still a plethora of ways to build all three factions. If you and your friends are playing friendly games, then the "current meta" probably is of no concern.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's just with friends, then I agree with everyone else. Either borrow their copies or just print out some of your own. I find printing them and then gluing them to some cardboard (like a cereal box) gives them some feel like a real card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miikka Sohlman
Finland
Lahti
flag msg tools
I live in the city of Gulf, on the shores of Lake Water. This fun fact has nothing to do with this badge you're pointing at.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heychadwick wrote:
If it's just with friends, then I agree with everyone else. Either borrow their copies or just print out some of your own. I find printing them and then gluing them to some cardboard (like a cereal box) gives them some feel like a real card.

Hmm, I've never had to resort to glue when proxying. I sleeve all my cards and I have spare mini cards around like extra unique cards, and of course proton torpedoes. Slip the printout and the spare together into a sleeve and it looks and feels like a genuine thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Reynolds
United States
mankato
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hipsu wrote:
The upgrade card situation is a bit BS from the FFG part though so I agree with the complaint.

Someone asked FFG if they'll ever sell card only expansions in the future and the answer was pretty much "won't happen".

Thankfully the situation is not as horrible as it could be and they are remedying some of it slowly. You don't have to buy A-wings anymore to get Push the Limits for TIE Interceptors and you don't have to buy Shuttles anymore to get Advanced Sensors for B-wings.

How on earth would they make a profit selling you just cards. I have never understood that argument. They are in this to make money and the minute it stops making money they will stop producing it.

This is far and above the cheapest Miniature game you can get into. Between pre-orders and store purchases I bought at least 2 or more of every scum ship for less than 200 bucks. Most of the ships are available for less than 20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon NyD

Denver
Colorado
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be noted there is another outlet now to pick up single cards: The tournament kits for stores each quarter have made an interesting change. Instead of Alternate Art for the participation prize they are now (spring 2015) packing an alternate art Push-The-limit upgrade card! The cool thing is you don't even need to own PTL to use the new card in your list.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2014/12/10/retail...

I also agree with everything above. Play casually and print them, borrow them from friends for official tournaments, or just go buy the cheaper expansions. eBay everything but the upgrades, you'll make 75% of your money back.

Besides, there are tons of winning lists that don't use C3P0. Get creative and learn to fly better! (You bet I went there)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, it isn't $100 for C-3PO. It's for the Tantive IV, that happens to come with C-3PO. Just because you don't happen to play epic doesn't mean it's not a valid form of the game. Same with the Raider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Garman
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heychadwick wrote:
Also, it isn't $100 for C-3PO. It's for the Tantive IV, that happens to come with C-3PO. Just because you don't happen to play epic doesn't mean it's not a valid form of the game. Same with the Raider.

This would be a valid argument if the cards that came with epic ships were only useful in epic play, or at least if they were also available in a non-epic-ship package. C-3PO in particular is used almost exclusively on the Falcon, but the only way to get the card is to buy an epic ship. If they had put C-3PO in the Falcon package or even the Outrider, no one would complain about it. No one is really complaining about having to buy a Scyk for the mangler cannon to use on Ten Numb, for example. The problem is that you have to buy something big that you don't care about to get something very small that you do care about.

The TIE Advanced title has the same issue. For the many people who have no interest in epic play, there is no reasonable way to get these title cards. The only option is to buy a large, expensive miniature that they know they will never use. Or proxy it, of course, but that doesn't work for tournament play. To add insult to injury, the big epic ships (which some people buy so they could use the cards in tournament play) aren't usable in the tournaments themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.