Huzzah! Four Battles of the American Civil War Vol. 1» Forums » Rules

Subject: Removal of Advance Fire marker rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state that a unit with an AF marker cannot fire in the Arty or Small Arms Segment, but the AF marker is removed at the end of the Small Arms and Action Segments. I was surprised the marker wasn't removed at the end of the Arty Segment.

Do you remove an AF marker from artillery at the end of the Small Arms Segment or is the AF only removed from Small Arms units?

Also, I assumed cavalry could charge other cavalry although the charge rules say that only infantry can charge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dengel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
you are correct about removing ADV FIRE markers from Arty, remove after the Arty Fire phase (though I don't think it makes much of a difference).

For the cavalry, see 4.3.3, page 6 of the Standard Rules (actually, review the entire section).

Finally, regarding Cavalry retreat from Assault (4.3.6), the exact sequence is:

a. Retreat the cav 3 hexes
b. check morale
c. if it fails and was in good order, Disrupt it.
d. if it fails and was previously Disrupted, it Routs and suffers an O hit. It does not retreat again, however.

Cavalry may retreat from other Cavalry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard,

The problem is that 10.1.2 states "Only infantry may charge."

That creates confusion when earlier rules allow for cavalry charges.

10.1.2 should probably be incinerated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dengel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Perhaps rather than removing 10.1.2, it should be reworded. Something like,
"Eligible infantry may charge any type of enemy stack, whether artillery, cavalry, or infantry. Eligible cavalry may only charge other cavalry (see 4.3)." Hopefully, this clears up the confusion. I can see I need some additional errata.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Clark
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing Huzzah recently, and I've been working up a Rules Reminders sheet to help me during play. It is at 3 pages at this time (normally I like to get these type of aids at 2 pages so that I can print front & back on a single sheet for quick reference during play).

In my current version, I've got reminders to remove Advance Fire markers at the end of the Artillery Fire and Small Arms segments. I've also got a reminder to remove them at the BEGINNING of the Action segment as a way to eliminate stack clutter (since AF markers mean nothing to friendly units in this segment). That's not a big deal...could just remove at the END of that segment.

Also, while the rules are inconsistent with regards to cavalry charges, I thought that Charges in the game represent Bayonet Charges (rules section 10 labels them as such). Did ACW cavalry ever conduct bayonet charges? While dismounted, didn't they fight entirely defensively, with some 1/4 or so of the men holding the horses? Did they even equip bayonets?

If a cavalry unit wanted to charge, wouldn't they mount up and use sabers? If so, maybe also amend the start of rule 10 to reflect this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dengel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the questions.

Cavalry and Artillery are rather more abstracted in this game than is infantry. That was purposeful on my part to keep the rules brief and the game "simple." Cavalry can only charge other Cavalry. This represents mounted operations against enemy cavalry. It can't Charge or Assault infantry since cavalry was rarely used this way (ok, I can hear the howls of protest, but really, Cavalry charges against infantry or artillery was a relatively rare occurrence). So Cavalry fighting cavalry is "sabre" combat, as you say. The Charging cav does get the +1 charge bonus. That bonus was less for the bayonet than for raw momentum.

At any rate, in volume 1 (and the upcoming volume 2) cavalry has little or no say in the outcome of the battles. This will change as I produce other titles (working on Honey Springs when taking a break from the Wilderness). Expect additional nuance to accommodate more complex cavalry operations in the future.

Use the "new" version of 10.1.2, posted above. Hopefully that clarifies. Also, I've worked up a version 2.0 of the rules to include all errata previous posted, as well as some additional clarifications regarding Cavalry retreat before combat and answers to other rules questions. Jon Compton (OSS) is busy getting this together, so please stay tuned.

Finally, I'd really like to see your help sheet when you're done. I'd be happy to make some recommendations and maybe to even re-format it to the 2-page optimum limit. A word document is preferred, though I can do a .pdf as well.

Thanks,

rad
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Clark
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard, thanks for the reply. In case you hadn't noticed, I've started an AAR for Iuka on ConsimWorld in the Huzzah! folder.

If you see me (inevitably) making mistakes, please let me know!
:-)

I've edited my rules reminders to two 2-page sheets: a Rules Reminder (currently at 1.5 pages) and a Rules Summary (additional rules stuff) also at 1.5 pages. I've printed each on 1 sheet double sided for quick reference. I do have it in old doc format and plan to keep tweaking it until the Rules Reminder is up to 2 full pages.

I'd like to wait a while before uploading here at BGG, but would happily send it just to you to look at (esp. to look for errors or misinterpretations that I've made).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin S
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ClashFan wrote:
I've also got a reminder to remove them at the BEGINNING of the Action segment as a way to eliminate stack clutter (since AF markers mean nothing to friendly units in this segment). That's not a big deal...could just remove at the END of that segment.

I think AF markers meaning nothing in the Action segment is only the case if the -2 advance fire modifier doesn't apply to fire in the Action segment, and I can't see that in the rules. If an infantry unit is marked with an advance fire marker from a previous advance fire, and then wants to fire again in the Action segment, shouldn't the -2 technically still apply? So it would make a difference whether you removed the markers at the beginning or the end of the segment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dengel
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The ADV Fire marker DOES apply. So remove it at the end. See 8.4.6, page 12 of the Version 2.0 rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.