Subject: No space for more building? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Howard
United States
Bentonville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I know that if a palace cannot be expanded anymore due to lack of space, you can start a new palace of that color without someone claiming the first palace....but what if there is no more space left anywhere on the board to place a new building?

Do we return all buildings of all players back to the box? Or do we go into freestyle mode, where anyone can place a building anywhere on the board, including next to or adding on to already completed buildings?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take a stab at this one. You are not allowed to add on to completed buildings except with stables, and you must play your stables, even if it will only benefit an opponent. You are not allowed to build "next to" another building as a space between them must always exist. If you have pieces left and no legal placements then your game is over. Other players continue to place pieces to the board until they have none remaining or no legal moves exist for them, and then their game is over. This continues until all players have exhausted their possibilities.

I hope this helps.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Howard
United States
Bentonville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Thank you very much for your reply. I was leaning towards that way, but others in my group interpreted the rules differently.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
mbmbmbmbmb
There is no indication in the rules that a "freestyle mode" exists. So why invent it?

If you cannot play Palace tiles you have to play the other tiles.
Leftover palace tiles are removed colour by colour from the game as soon as all players have taken a palace of this colour.

If somehow you managed to end up with only unplayable palace tiles behind your screen (which never happened in our games) your game is over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our first game, this happened to us. One player had a grey building that could not be placed even though all players had not yet claimed grey. She discarded it and moved on with her other pieces. Got us wondering if we mathed something wrong, but I don't think we did. It was in the last few turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imtiaz
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamegrunt wrote:
If you have pieces left and no legal placements then your game is over.

I would say only his turn is skipped; his game isn't over. He can place his pieces (e.g. stables, rooftops) on a future turn when space has been created for those.

The rules state that a player cannot take any further turns when he has no components left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sine_square_x wrote:
Gamegrunt wrote:
If you have pieces left and no legal placements then your game is over.

I would say only his turn is skipped; his game isn't over. He can place his pieces (e.g. stables, rooftops) on a future turn when space has been created for those.

The rules state that a player cannot take any further turns when he has no components left.

Interestingly, the rules make no mention of passing as an action. I'm having a problem imagining a situation when palace buildings would be temporarily unplayable. Specific colors are played until all players have claimed a palace of each of the four colors, at which time remaining pieces are removed from the game. If a player has claimed a purple palace (as an example), but has purple blocks remaining in his or her supply, and no other pieces left, then that player would be compelled to play the purple on a purple palace being constructed, or start a new palace. Of course, he would be starting the palace for a player who hadn't as yet claimed a palace of that color.

I can't imagine a circumstance when the other types of pieces would be temporarily unplayable. Walls, merchants, and stables would always seem to be playable, whether or not their placements benefit the active player.

Therefore, how would a player's turn ever be "skipped?"

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imtiaz
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamegrunt wrote:
I'm having a problem imagining a situation when palace buildings would be temporarily unplayable.

Me too. If it's only palace buildings you're left with, and they're unplayable, your game is over.

Gamegrunt wrote:
I can't imagine a circumstance when the other types of pieces would be temporarily unplayable.

Rooftops and stables can be temporarily unplayable. Imagine that all purple palaces on the board have been claimed. You have no purple building blocks, but you're yet to claim a purple palace. You'd need an opponent to seed a purple palace on the board before you can claim it by placing a rooftop.

You may be temporarily unable to play a stable on the board because all possible stable spots have already been taken. Of course, a stable must be adjacent to a palace building, and can't be played by itself. What if you've exhausted all buildings? In this case, too, you'd need an opponent to seed a palace on the board before you can attach a stable to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.