Popular Tags: meeples [+] scoring [+] [View All]
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was playing H&G the other day and for some reason my mind froze at a time when a player was placing a tile, scoring the tile, and then wanting to place a meeple. We were suddenly unsure if that was legal.

But then I realized that it was a just a question of turn order. But please, correct me if I am wrong:

1) The player MUST place a tile.
2) The player MAY place a meeple on a feature on that new tile.
3) The player then scores for any feature completion due to that new tile... and removes their previously placed meeple.

Is this correct? Can you place AND score for a previous placement on the same turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Hunters and Gatherers is unique among Carcassonne games in that it has an extra rule to prohibit the scoring of the Meeple just placed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Skadar wrote:
Can you place AND score for a previous placement on the same turn?

Maybe I'm just not understanding your question as this is all you do, score Meeples previously placed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, Steven. If you place a tile with a forest and river where the forest segment completes a forest where you previously placed a meeple, you can place a meeple on the river and score the forest. I think that's what you were asking.

Sorry, Eddie, but H&G does allow you to place a meeple and score it immediately. I looked it up just to make sure. The City is one that prohibits placing a meeple on a feature you just finished with your tile placement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sodaklady wrote:
You're right, Steven. If you place a tile with a forest and river where the forest segment completes a forest where you previously placed a meeple, you can place a meeple on the river and score the forest. I think that's what you were asking.

That is exactly what I was asking. It's tough to describe, but you did a great job of it.

And apotheos, as Mary mentioned... you can place a new meeple, score it, and remove it on the same turn in H&G. In this case, you are handling a single Meeple... on and off in the same turn.

My confusion in my original post came from the handling of two meeples in the same turn. In our particular game, it seemed "wrong" because the player proceeded in the wrong order. He scored for his previously placed meeple, removed it, and then wanted to place a new meeple on the new tile. It just threw us off for a moment, even though technically it's the same, whichever happens first (the scoring or the placing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
sodaklady wrote:

Sorry, Eddie, but H&G does allow you to place a meeple and score it immediately. I looked it up just to make sure. The City is one that prohibits placing a meeple on a feature you just finished with your tile placement.

Today I am wrong in so many ways.

Well, did you all know in H&G and only in H&G when a feature has two discreet parts on one tile - say two forests - if you connect both to a completed forest then they each add 2 points to the completed forest.

Now I've added something to the thread. Except I'm only half remembering that and it's probably wrong too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilja Preuß
Germany
Karlsruhe
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skadar wrote:

My confusion in my original post came from the handling of two meeples in the same turn. In our particular game, it seemed "wrong" because the player proceeded in the wrong order. He scored for his previously placed meeple, removed it, and then wanted to place a new meeple on the new tile. It just threw us off for a moment, even though technically it's the same, whichever happens first (the scoring or the placing).

It's not the same when you have no meeples left at the start of your turn. Then you get one back, but can't place it on a tile before your next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mary Weisbeck
United States
Black Hawk
South Dakota
flag msg tools
"Blow up the damned ship, Jean-Luc!"
mbmbmbmbmb
apotheos wrote:

Well, did you all know in H&G and only in H&G when a feature has two discreet parts on one tile - say two forests - if you connect both to a completed forest then they each add 2 points to the completed forest.

Now I've added something to the thread. Except I'm only half remembering that and it's probably wrong too.

Yeah, so a tile can score twice. I don't play that way because it just feels wrong somehow. We always score 2 pts. per tile, not per segment. Besides, it's easier to remember. I hope the rules police won't break down my door! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
apotheos wrote:

No, that's right. In H&G (and only H&G) scoring (for rivers and forests) is by segment, rather than tile (as it is in "regular" Carcassonne)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't play that way either. We score by tile, not by segment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
BLASPHEMERS! You wanna score per tile, you go play regular Carcassonne with all the other hellbound heretics. Here in H&G we score by segment, as the Good Lord intended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sodaklady wrote:
Yeah, so a tile can score twice. I don't play that way because it just feels wrong somehow. We always score 2 pts. per tile, not per segment. Besides, it's easier to remember. I hope the rules police won't break down my door! laugh

Knock knock. Rules police. Open the door now!

heh

My experience with the series began with C:H&G and when we play regular Carcasonne, it feels wrong to score only two points per tile. It's hard for me to remember that you only get two points per tile, instead of the usual two points per segment. I'll admit it's not a wrong enough feeling to make me want to change the rules of the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.