Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess this is my own fault - I loved the video reviews and the theme, used to play Deadlands, etc. I got the game and realized it's a pre-built deck game. My gaming group doesn't do that sort of thing.

We played the first game last night, and looked in the rules for 3 pre-built deck designs, which we used. But that seems to leave out a lot of the cards and it felt like some of them weren't that balanced.

Is there a variant or better set of pre-builts when you just do regular, non-prebuilt games? I don't mind if the decks end up being a bit unbalanced (like if you have a rules where you got X cards plus y random cards). I just need something other than a pre-built deck option.

My group plays a lot of Sentinels, so the concept of a faction deck is fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can make your own decks, or you can use decks someone else made. It's your choice. There are tons of them available on doomtowndb (dtdb.co), so if you want to just pick out four decks from there you can do that.

I have no idea what you mean by "regular, non-prebuilt games" but I hope this helps. I'm also have a hard time figuring out what you mean by "pre-built". To me, "pre-built" would describe a game like Yomi where you are given a fixed deck (one that's been built for you ahead of time). Doomtown lets you use custom decks, whether you made it or someone else did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Satkowiak
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he means that they're not into games where you have to "pre-build" a deck in order to play (i.e. Magic, etc.).

The best way to approach this would be find a way to build four "static" decks using the cards in the box. As David mentioned, dtdb.co has a lot of deck ideas. You can also just start with the cards in the instruction guide and then substitute or add-in cards from what's left in the pool in order to make a set of four distinct decks that you just keep together all the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah - I don't want to take time to pre-build a deck. That would imply everyone has the game (I'm the only one who does) or everyone spends time between game nights obsessing over it (nobody does).

I think using 4 pre-built decks is fine, one for each faction. Maybe even make them pre-built but leave 9 cards open, and then have people randomly draw them from the remaining ones just to mix it up a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casper jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I believe that with a standard Core set, you can have any two of the four decks suggested build at the same time and it's pretty fast to build the decks from those lists and the decks give lots of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
platypus
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
It is probably a bit soon to have draft/sealled variants as the card pool is still small. But I expect we'll soon be able to do something like that. I have some pending algorythms that generates limited card pool to build a deck for another game. I'll have a look at those to try to find a decent way to generate (hopefully balanced) sealled/draft packs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We played on Saturday the first time. I loved the game, although the rules book was hard to follow. We played with three players using the the three decks listed in the rules, and they were ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
They suck! I've found the game really dull with them, none can shoot which lead to shootout that can end in a high card agasint a full house and then if you brought more than one dude your basicly out of the game.

Go to DTDB and choose 4 decks!

OR build 4 yourself once and for all. The easiest way to do that : Choose 3 values with thematic cards for each faction, fill them as much as you can, and then choose a few extra cards.

Exemple : A-2-8 for law dogs! You choose 4 actions (clubs) in each value, 4 deeds (diamonds) in each value, for goods (heart) you pick those that really seems interesting and playable and go to four of each value IF IT seems reasonnable. Then for dudes, same as for goods, you pick those who think you'll be able to play in those values. Then you choose your starting poss, those can be any value you wish since they'll be on the board at the start of the game! Just make sure to keep a little money and income. AND you fill out the rest of the deck with usefull cards (Cheating punishment if you lack some, usefull actions or goods offvalue). Try to go with 38-40 cards at least from those 3 values (A-2-8) + your starting poss + usefull specific cards.

For Law dogs : A-2-8
Sloane : 3-5-7
Fourth Ring : 10-Q-K or 10-J-K or 10-J-Q

For Morgan I really don't know... should look in your cards or on DTDB.

Those deck might not be the best POSSIBLE decks, but they are all fairly good, simple to make AND balanced! They all shoot kind of equal and have a good strategy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Satkowiak
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rocconteur wrote:
Yeah - I don't want to take time to pre-build a deck. That would imply everyone has the game (I'm the only one who does) or everyone spends time between game nights obsessing over it (nobody does).

I think using 4 pre-built decks is fine, one for each faction. Maybe even make them pre-built but leave 9 cards open, and then have people randomly draw them from the remaining ones just to mix it up a little.

That's probably not a bad idea. Make up a number of decks with a bunch of open slots, then have a draft style system to finish the rest. As someone said, the card pool there is pretty small to choose from, but it could work. Perhaps keep the drifters and a number of deeds/action cards in the pool.

I don't know if you've seen any of the expansions, but they would certainly add some more options for you. The saddlebags each include four copies of twenty new cards with a spread across all of the outfits.

The problem is that figuring out how to build four fairly decent decks to play with in this fashion takes a certain amount of invested time as well. But it could be worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you do a draft or whatever to finish the last few deck slots, you might try to ensure that you're drafting off-value cards.

Reason being that if one deck is shooting on 8's (for instance) and other players end up drafting most of the 8's then their shooting structure is weakened significantly.

Doomtown decks are not as amenable to swapping out cards as most games due to the poker structure, effectively there is one chunk of cards that you probably can't easily change (the poker structure), and then a "free" section that behaves more like a conventional card game that CAN be swapped out more easily, although of course they might still synergize with your deck's intended strategy. For instance, removing a Hex from a Huckster deck might be questionable, and adding one into a deck without Hucksters makes no sense at all except as a hate-draft against someone else to deny it to them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Romeo
Canada
Chicoutimi
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmb
Draft won't make it due to :

Poker structure really affected. Especially with newer players that are suceptible to go into shootouts more than they need to, it can lead to dramatic shootout results and insta-end of game, which is HIGHLY UNPLEASENT and kill the game for you.

Cards are too specific to certain strategies than in other games. Hex needs a huckster oriented deck OR at least as a secondary strategy. Same thing with Gadgets, cant be played without mad scientist, also Jobs that really wont ever help you. Even deeds that suit more your opponent (like the one which can make a dude go into any shootout, I played this deed once against sloane with a Ramiro Mendoza and a shotgun, Ouuuu mymy I regretted!! Was always in check of having mendoza coming to any shootout).

Card pool too small! You can't really draft between hexes yet, or gadget yet or jobs... If you want to use those, you really need to include the ones you need.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Bicycle format? It cuts down on the deck building time and detail while still giving an interesting game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's possible to filter four decks out of dtdb without using more than four of the same card.

That is assuming you've got two core sets and all the expansions. The more expansions there are released, the greater the total card pool is, the easier it is to find four decks on dtdb you can use.

Or, build them yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Satkowiak
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scrapyardarmory wrote:
How about Bicycle format? It cuts down on the deck building time and detail while still giving an interesting game.

This is absolutely not a bad idea. It's just not terribly possible right now.

For those who may not know, Bicycle format means that your 52 card deck cannot have more than one of any suit and value (like a regular deck of Bicycle playing cards). This eliminates Cheatin' from the rules (which renders certain dudes highly ineffective), but it does make the poker structure largely irrelevant as you are simply trying to find a card to fit each slot that somehow works with the outfit.

The problem is that the card pool hasn't grown enough yet to make this possible for four workable decks. For example, currently, even with all of the expansions, there are only a few options for the king of hearts: one is a hex, one is a gadget, and the other is a goods card that turns a Dude into a Huckster. None of those are terribly helpful. It could still work, especially if you don't plan on fielding your king cards very often, but still.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.