Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bennie Guardado
United States
Wilmington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need a general consensus from the community here. I'm on the fence and figured I would leave it up to you guys to help me decide.

The board game store in my town is closing and they have been placing different games on sale for awhile, however; today was the start of their blowout sales. So, I picked up a lot of games that have been on my to get list. Depending on your taste, I got some good deals. Here is my final haul:

Nexus Ops - $35
Merchant of Venus (Second Edition) - $48
Catacombs - $33
Catacombs: Dark Passageways - $4
Catacombs: Cavern of Soloth - $14.40
Catacombs: Horde of Vermin - $10.40
Escape: Illusions Expansion 1 - $12
Martian Dice - $4
Yomi - $50
Jaipur - $15
Total after tax: 248.61

Out of all the games on the list I only got one on a whim. That was Yomi. It is the complete first edition set with all ten decks and two play mats. Brand new still sealed. As stated above, I got it for $50. When I got home I shopped online to see what it would cost to get all these games brand new. I do this to see how good of a deal I got. What I noticed is that the Complete First Edition Yomi sells for a pretty nice price. Anywhere from $100 to $300.

So, this is where I want some help. I started thinking that maybe it would be worth just reselling Yomi to recoup a good portion of my cost making it an even better deal for my other games.

What are your thoughts? Is there really a market out there for Yomi? (Just because someone puts it up for $300 doesn't mean it is really selling.) Did I get a good deal on a great game and I should keep it? Is selling not even worth it after fees and shipping? Anything else?

Poll
What should I do with Yomi?
You got a great game! Keep it!
No one is buying Yomi. Keep it.
Selling isn't worth the hassle. Keep it.
You got an awful game! Sell it!
You could sell Yomi quick$!$ Sell it.
You got an awful game! Burn it!
Selling for $100 to $300? BAHAHAH!
      47 answers
Poll created by AcaelusTitan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to play it, keep it, if not, sell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am not sure, but I think that is was reprinted, so that it WAS worth a lot, but now the reprint brought the price down. I could be confused though, that has happened before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bennie Guardado
United States
Wilmington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't mind playing it but if I could make a good investment out of it, I would. That's why I am on the fence and why I am here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rullman
Sweden
Solberga
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check ebay completed listings to get a better view of the price it is going for there. Can't say anything specific about the game though as I've never heard of it before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
AcaelusTitan wrote:
I wouldn't mind playing it but if I could make a good investment out of it, I would. That's why I am on the fence and why I am here.

It sounds like you would prefer to sell it in order to recoup the cost of the other games somewhat. You'd be interested in playing it, but only if it's not worth selling.

The obvious course of action, to me, would be to sell it. Put it up at a price you consider worthwhile. If it doesn't sell at that price, then try playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this board game pricing utility. It graphs boardgame geek market transactions for any game. Looks like Yomi is selling for about $80 currently.

http://www.spielboy.com/#

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
it sold for 80 three days ago on ebay.

Don't just use amazon for your pricing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bennie Guardado
United States
Wilmington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djn1981 wrote:
Check out this board game pricing utility. It graphs boardgame geek market transactions for any game. Looks like Yomi is selling for about $80 currently.

http://www.spielboy.com/#

Thanks, this was an awesome tool. I appreciate the help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bennie Guardado
United States
Wilmington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:

Well, I looked around at other places as well. That's why I had a range in my head of $100 to $300. I wasn't aware until today that you could look at completed listings on ebay which will be an awesome gauge of value. Thanks for looking for me though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bennie Guardado
United States
Wilmington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stewi wrote:

It sounds like you would prefer to sell it in order to recoup the cost of the other games somewhat. You'd be interested in playing it, but only if it's not worth selling.

I am actually leaning towards keeping it now. At an $80 sales price, and after ebay takes its share, plus shipping I would basically break even. Plus I have spent a little more time reading and watching reviews. For $50 it looks like I am going to get enough game out of it that I should just keep it. Thank you for your input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
The problem in the equation is people. Eliminate that, everything works.
mbmbmbmbmb
AcaelusTitan wrote:
Stewi wrote:

I am actually leaning towards keeping it now. At an $80 sales price, and after ebay takes its share, plus shipping I would basically break even. Plus I have spent a little more time reading and watching reviews. For $50 it looks like I am going to get enough game out of it that I should just keep it. Thank you for your input.

It's a fun game, for $50, I'd keep it. (I paid full price for my copy!) The rules are pretty simple, it's easy to teach, and there is some moderate skill involved. If it doesn't feel quite like a real combat, it's close enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AcaelusTitan wrote:
scifiantihero wrote:

Well, I looked around at other places as well. That's why I had a range in my head of $100 to $300. I wasn't aware until today that you could look at completed listings on ebay which will be an awesome gauge of value. Thanks for looking for me though.

I need to keep this in mind for the wife. She's frequently assuming that asking price on ebay = value, and I kind of disagree with that assessment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bennie Guardado
United States
Wilmington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, I am new to collecting games. This was a good experience that helped me get a better idea how to assess value.

Also, I decided to keep Yomi. Even if I sell it on ebay, after thier cut and shipping I probably wouldnt even net $15. The game looks interesting enough and I have already used the mats for Star Realms. The health counters work so much better than the cards. This will work for magic and other games as well. It was worth keeping for $50.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.