Firefly: The Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Armed Ship variants rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Dawson
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
So, many people have asked how we can incorporate armed firefly's in this game. Here is my take on it.

Ships that have weapons on it are automatically outlaw ships and cannot be solid with Harken. Any crew onboard an armed ship will now be wanted for as long as they are onboard, and any wanted crew already on the ship are now captured on a 1 or 2.

Ship weapons take up an upgrade slot and offer bonuses to any Nav encounter or Reaver contact.

They also give a bonus to any piracy action with a +1 to the boarding action and any skill bonuses carry over to the showdown.

If 2 ships with weapons encounter eachother or you have a Reaver contact the ships will have a "Ship Showdown".

Bonuses: Pilot: +2, mechanic: +1, Wash: +1, Ships range over 5: +1, other ideas welcome.

The winner of the ship showdown chooses to either evade or board. Any boarding action will be able to add the effect of the ships weapons to the roll.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warrant on the ship.
If stopped by the Alliance cruiser, lose the armament, plus normal effects.

Generally I don't think the Alliance would take a casual attitude to this, though perhaps some allowances for piracy and reaver defenses could be tolerated. Historically pirates got hung without much ceremony.

So perhaps 2 versions of ship weapons, legal Armed merchantman weapons (at double the cost) and illegal ship weapons at lesser cost, but attracting a Warrant.

Weapons generally took up cargo space, and so did ammunition. I'm not sure what sort of weapons you are thinking of, internal or external hull mounts, but having Ammo supplies (like Fuel & Parts) could be cool.

Putting the FIRE into Firefly, beautiful.
my 2c
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Shouldn't Wash get +2 and other Pilots +1, if that's what you're doing?

2. What do you mean by "Range?"

3. Would you make cards for weapons, such as the Ship Mounted Cannon and BFG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Dawson
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
chas59 wrote:
1. Shouldn't Wash get +2 and other Pilots +1, if that's what you're doing?
*** Wash would then get a +3 as he is both Wash and a Pilot

2. What do you mean by "Range?"
*** Standard firefly's have a max burn range of 5. Any ship with a max burn range of 6 or higher (Artful Dodger, Interceptor, or any other ship with an upgraded drive) would qualify for that

3. Would you make cards for weapons, such as the Ship Mounted Cannon and BFG?

*** I would love to do up some cards, but my photo shop skills are non-existent. I can make some basic rules for them though, when I am not at work

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Krubski
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you need cards made, I hope you remember the deal: give me the info, and point me toward pictures and I'm happy to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.