Subject: Light Infantry Shift rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Payne
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
We used this rule in our game last saturday. Everyone at the table liked the rule and felt that it worked as intended. Its been tested alot by me so I wanted to post it here where it belongs. Another member here siad he may have a better way so I have been waiting to hear from him before I posted this here but he has not posted his idea yet.

I am currently writing a session report for our last game. We made it through 4 turns. The LI shift was handed out 3 times. Each time it felt right.

The rule itself is simple:

If you have more HI than LI, and you have more LI than the enemy, and niether side is using cavalry supremacy,...then you are awarded an extra shift.

The shift is not used in towns or cities.
The shift is not used in amphibious assault.
The shift is indeed used in mountain spaces.

When playing scenario 6, I suggest allowing the Ptolomy Egyptians to attack a force of up to 4 bp more, instead of 2.
I also suggest using the mountain attrition rules. The light infantry shift is most powerful in mountain spaces.

Roman legions have what I like to call, Velite points. For every 2 full legions the Romans recieve one velite point. These can be used to counter enemy LI in regards to the shift. They can never be used to give a shift of thier own. This allows the Romans to continue buying nothing but legions without suffering any ill effects.(as it should be)The velite points should not be used in turns 9-10. But I suggest using the 5 point legions option.

In the scope of the game it can be argued that this isnt needed, and indeed it is not. From a boardgame perspective, this rule just fleshes out the otherwise almost usless LI, and brings the piece into the game even though it is still the weekest piece. No longer will they only be good for unrealistic uses such as 'speedbumps.' Now they can also be used to flesh out an army with combined arms.
In the end its a matter of taste. Without this rule, I never buy LI. With the rule I buy maybe one or two per turn. My faction became so powerfull in our last game, preparing to fight on two fronts I bought a record 4 LI in one turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.