Subject: Hunt deck cycling? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guy McCann
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
How often does your Hunt deck get recycled? I've only played one solo and one multiplayer (4) game, but both games, the hunt deck wasn't close to being cycled through before the Extinction environment card was played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bryden
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mojobacca wrote:
How often does your Hunt deck get recycled? I've only played one solo and one multiplayer (4) game, but both games, the hunt deck wasn't close to being cycled through before the Extinction environment card was played.

Ours has been cycling 3-4 times with 2 players. The ambush effects do a good job of thinning the deck rather rapidly.

So far it seems that those players who are super-effective at deck thinning and setting up ambushes have a strong advantage. This is making me step up my game to compete on their level. Once I start implementing the approach I saw the previous game they have already moved on to the next thing.

So far I like the tension and the pacing (fast). If you are going to play this at a leisurely pace I don't think that the game is going to be very satisfying.

It seemed that almost every turn we were beating something in the hunt field and then a card gets cycled. More than 50% of the turns saw an ambush effect thin the deck further. There are times where we would hunt multiple dinos in a single turn as well.

Could it be play style? Just asking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy McCann
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I think we were playing a bit careful in our game, so few Alert cards scared away the game.

Leobyn wrote:
Have you been recycling the last card in the Game Trail and Evolve Pool before starting each player turn? Its written in the Player's Turn Breakdown, but its easily overlooked because its not in the Quick Guide to the Action Orders.

According to the rulebook I have (retail version I believe), it states that the last card of the Game Trail and Evolve Pool Are recycled only before "Player One" Behind their turn. {Middle of page 24 and top of page 25 under Starting New Rounds }

I only see Repopulation happening on each players turn with the recycling taking place at the start of a new round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaleb Eubank
United States
Senatobia
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mojobacca wrote:
I think we were playing a bit careful in our game, so few Alert cards scared away the game.

Leobyn wrote:
Have you been recycling the last card in the Game Trail and Evolve Pool before starting each player turn? Its written in the Player's Turn Breakdown, but its easily overlooked because its not in the Quick Guide to the Action Orders.

According to the rulebook I have (retail version I believe), it states that the last card of the Game Trail and Evolve Pool Are recycled only before "Player One" Behind their turn. {Middle of page 24 and top of page 25 under Starting New Rounds }

I only see Repopulation happening on each players turn with the recycling taking place at the start of a new round.

This is how we read it. Player one it recycles, the others is just repopulate (which usually chain effects with a lot of eating anyway)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Paschal
United States
Sanford
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Retail Version:
The card in the fourth spot (hunt & evolve) is only recycled at the end of a round. So, at the beginning of Player One's round it will be recycled and re-populated.

Re-population happens every round.

KS Version:
The card in the third spot is recycled (hunt & evolve) at the end of every player's turn.

There is no "player one" or rotating Player One.

We made these changes for a few reasons, the main reason is for time. The physical act of recycling and re-populating at least 1 card every turn was monumental. 1 hour per player games. Secondly, it allows players to actually think about their actions on other players turns. Instead of watching the entire Hunt Trail and Evolve Pool be wiped out just before their turn. This also doubled to cut down on time per turn as there is much less analysis paralysis choosing the cards to hunt/purchase because they can now plan their purchases/actions.

Ambushing is key to this game. Being aggressive is also key. Playing cautious will get you killed as you will run out of available resources from other players or predators in the hunt deck.

Apex is not something you are going to play 2-3 times and have it packed down. No, you are going to have to play each Apex deck several times before you truely understand it. One of the reasons I was drawn to it and helping Herschel with the process. This is not a cake walk. There is no easy button. You will not be handed a win. You may not win, no one may win. Apex will beat you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy McCann
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
While I see how that change is great for time management and probably the overall benefit of the game, this change really hurts the Sarcosuchus, primarily the Rogue card.

Not so much with a 1-3 player game, but you get unlucky to pull the Sarcosuchus deck in an 8 player game... you now have 2 useless cards in your Apex Deck as the Rogue will not get seen. Unless everyone continues having unsuccessful ambushes every turn.

Granted I haven't tested this possibility to say for sure, but it's the feeling I have about it. I will, hopefully, get a couple more multiplayer games in where we play much more aggressively to find out for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atnier Rodriguez
United States
Monroe
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If Suckssomuchus's Rogue would replace itself with another Apex card after it decides to leave its kids behind and explore the world, it would lessen the loss of your egg's contribution.

In the 2p game, I was getting beat hard, and I so wanted something with a powerful hunt value (a solid non-ambush 3+), but with my luck, I only got Rogues and the I'm-a-water-ninja apex cards. Ugh!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Hill
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say that I prefer the cycling of cards on every players turn rather than just once per round. Just my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.