Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I am going to use images already posted here. Thanks to those who already posted them!

I just bought an unpunched copy of Dead of Winter (1st Edition) from Noble Knight for $10 + S&H (which was actually more than the game, itself). That's a really small price for a "like new" 2 map, 800 counters game with two large rule books. Of course, that price reflects a few other factors:

The game is about the Battle of Murfreesboro. On the ACW battle popularity hit list, makes it the second big battle in the second theater of the war (Chickamauga is kind of an ACW theater tweener). On the plus side, Murfreesboro is a fairly even match.

This game was a mid-evolution GBACW series game, using the less-than-loved Turn Continuation Table (TCT) system. TCT is dated, and to put it politely, a pain in the patootie. No doubt TCT had/has its (mostly silent) advocates.

And, the game has been superseded by the eponymous 2nd edition, with its more modern chit-pull system, and nicer components. But, c'mon, $10!

The Box cover is magnificent...

Equaled in the GBACW series only by...

Now, this is a slim box. So, good luck with getting punched counters back in the box. On the bright side, it would pack easily for business trips. You know, when you have a few half-a-hundred hours to kill, setting up and playing a two map mini-monster ACW game.

Did I say counters...

OK, using my precision grading system, these fully functional, medium thickness, slightly glossy, appropriately colored, monochrome counters fall squarely into the "hard-to-like" category. Because, they land with a thud with the small-for-no-real-reason minimalist iconography. Don't know why the icons are so small, but whatever. C'mon, $10!

The two full-color, glossy, thick paper maps, are dang nice...

OK, that salmon pink is really more "mellow apricot," which in real life makes it lean closer to "OK" than to "icky!" Overall, pleasing and functional.

And, the game comes with two thick rules books, looking like they were printed in the early 1920's. Old School, but OK.

Proof I really do own the game (and proof my Camera-Fu is weak). Did I mention I got DOW1E for just $10+S&H?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Woody
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there Mark,

I agree with your sentiments: you'd think DoW would get more love than it does in BGG if for no other reason than its large size. I haven't been able to put in on the table myself, as I don't have enough space; but I do intend to play it, even if solitaire, one of these days. I've scanned that unloved TCT system of which you speak on the occasions that I have looked over the game, and it does seem a bit unwieldy. I'm wondering if I can just use the old TSS rules to play this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.