Johnny Vinyl
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Do you prefer to have them completely seperate? Or would it be a cool idea to have maybe 1 or 2 crossover? The most obvious example I thought of would be the Inhumans. They could have Black Bolt, Medusa, etc. in a Hero expansion. Then have Maximus the Mad in a Villains expansion with that same Inhuman affiliation. Since he's classically known as a Villain, but has been on the same side as the Inhumans recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan M
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only other possible crossover affiliation I can think of is the Thunderbolts. I am not against seeing something like that happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick O\'Toole
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Avengers/Dark Avengers could use the same affiliation symbol considering in-universe they were both just known as Avengers.

You could have certain Spider-Villains count as Spider-Friends (I mean technically Black Cat already is). Venom, Superior Spider-Man, The Other, and a bunch of evil Spiders from other timelines.

You could have an AXIS based set with inverted Heroes and Villains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Personally, I divide my games into just heroes or just villains. But I only have the Basic Set and Villains sets. This is asked pretty often, and the consensus appears to lean heavily towards mixing them.

There's nothing stopping you from mixing all sets together. That seems to be the point of giving them all the same back. Sure, different characters will be weaker because of this (decks with Electro will have fewer chances to discard cards via that Dodge feature), but this is little different from Cyclops' X-Men United card being most powerful if more of the Heroes/Allies are X-Men. The only big exceptions to this are that Nick Fury cards would be much weaker if your starting cards are Hydra ones, and Goblin's incredible Goblin Glider needs Hydra cards to use its dodge power. Simply pretending the Hydra cards say SHIELD for Nick Fury is a no-brainer, however, even if it isn't official rules.

The Villains rule book addresses the plot/storyline requirement for combining them. In comics, many stories with high-power villains cause other villains to aid the heroes. The Carnage story had Venom and Spider-Man team up, for example, and The Executioner's Song story (Stryfe takes on basically all the X-Men teams) had Apocalypse help the heroes. I haven't read them, but the Villains booklet says even Loki and Thor team up at times in some comics. There's always alternate time lines, multiple universes and so on. I haven't seen a story where, for example, Wolverine fights evil Wolverine, but it's probably been done somewhere.

There's a Superior Spider-Man comic series where Doctor Octopus is in Spider-Man's body, and the Dark Avengers was an Avengers team of villains. Both of those would be bad guys on a team associated with good guys. There are probably several other examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Vinyl
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Tsallak wrote:
Personally, I divide my games into just heroes or just villains. But I only have the Basic Set and Villains sets. This is asked pretty often, and the consensus appears to lean heavily towards mixing them.

There's nothing stopping you from mixing all sets together. That seems to be the point of giving them all the same back. Sure, different characters will be weaker because of this (decks with Electro will have fewer chances to discard cards via that Dodge feature), but this is little different from Cyclops' X-Men United card being most powerful if more of the Heroes/Allies are X-Men. The only big exceptions to this are that Nick Fury cards would be much weaker if your starting cards are Hydra ones, and Goblin's incredible Goblin Glider needs Hydra cards to use its dodge power. Simply pretending the Hydra cards say SHIELD for Nick Fury is a no-brainer, however, even if it isn't official rules.

The Villains rule book addresses the plot/storyline requirement for combining them. In comics, many stories with high-power villains cause other villains to aid the heroes. The Carnage story had Venom and Spider-Man team up, for example, and The Executioner's Song story (Stryfe takes on basically all the X-Men teams) had Apocalypse help the heroes. I haven't read them, but the Villains booklet says even Loki and Thor team up at times in some comics. There's always alternate time lines, multiple universes and so on. I haven't seen a story where, for example, Wolverine fights evil Wolverine, but it's probably been done somewhere.

There's a Superior Spider-Man comic series where Doctor Octopus is in Spider-Man's body, and the Dark Avengers was an Avengers team of villains. Both of those would be bad guys on a team associated with good guys. There are probably several other examples.

Ummm... thanks. But I kinda think you missed what I was asking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
Doh! I definitely screwed up. Maybe I was in auto-pilot. Just because I don't recognize the name I shouldn't assume the person's new to the game.

It would work just fine, and I'd be happy to see it. Superior Spider-Man has equal parts of villain and hero, but is still an Avenger, so he could be in a Villains set no problem, to say nothing of the Dark Avengers someone already brought up.

Age of Apocalypse's Beast masqueraded as the normal world Beast for a time, too, and would work as a Villain who's also an X-Men. Sabertooth tried being an X-Men for a time, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richie Tran
msg tools
I like the idea but I don't know if there are a lot of characters that would fit in both sets like the Inhumans or Thunderbolts would. Personally I would like to see Dark Avengers as their own faction. Wouldn't make sense thematically Iron Patriot would help Captain America.

Any idea is to just add new versions of existing characters like Wolverine.

I can only see it work, without diminishing the small box expansions would to have the big box have a few heroes from past and new small boxes. Dark City didn't have any FF or Spidey friends heroes. My solution would have the next big box add two teams (Dark City had X-Factor? and Marvel Knights) and a hero from the other sets. Firestar for PttR, Adam Warlock for GotG, someone for Fear Itself, things like that. Like to see She-Hulk with FF team, but that might be a long shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Hatinen
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
There aren't many, but there are some. My knowledge outside of the X-Men universe is very limited (and my knowledge of X-Men is way out of date), but I can think of a couple examples. Elektra is apparently a hero now, but she spent considerable time as Kingpin's go-to chick. Ms Marvel, Spider Woman or possibly both spent some time as a villain, too. I assume (wouldn't know) Ghost Rider spent some time actually working for Mephisto before rebelling. Namor has definitely fought heroes, and I think he fights them as often as he fights with them.

I'm guessing (still wouldn't know) most heroes have had one or two brushes with villainy (Wolverine was briefly Death, Cyclops possessed, Jean insane, Archangel was Death for one whole issue) but then go back to heroism.

In case you haven't looked into it and wonder, the X faction from Dark City was X-Force. There was a great line related to it from the 90s X-Comics.

Mojo Minion (Gog or Magog): The X-...the X-....

Beast: Men, Force, Factor, it's all horribly confusing. Let me educate you. X-Force fights with an overabundance of testosterone, X-Factor with a modicum of humor, and we, the Men and Ladies of X, with a class and panache that the others always try, but fail to, emulate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.