Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the random element of "Butterfly" and the interesting implications of "Mind" but I figured it was worth getting some clarification on a few things. "Mind" moreso than Butterfly.

1. I'm assuming if either "Mind" copies or "Butterfly" activates the power of a Supernatural hero, they will also receive the associated number of curses. So, best avoided if possible.

2. Say "Mind" has received curses, for one reason or another, does that mean he is limited to copying only the Cursed portion of a Supernatural hero's superpower?

3. How does "Mind" work in relation to conditional superpowers? In other words, those that take into account spent actions (Goat/Colossus/Legend/Helmet) or things like injuries (Cosmic heroes). Is this based on "Mind" or the hero being copied?

4. I assume "Mind" can copy BLOCK superpowers, provided his token is attached to that hero and the card is being used to defend DMG.

There are probably some other implications with regards to other heroes and the token mechanic ("Blonde" or "Dad" maybe?) but I couldn't narrow it down to specifics (or it would take ages). And it sounds like there might be an official FAQ that will cover a lot of this anyway. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Little
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Gregg,

I figured you'd be the first to ask about this. There is a question in the FAQ part of the SoL rule book about Butterfly and Mind. I'll answer your questions here since some of your questions aren't specifically answered there.

1. Correct. They will get curses. This happened several times in testing and made for really interesting game situations because there are a few Supernatural characters that have better CURSED powers than non-CURSED.

2. He can activate the Superpowers of non-SN characters as normal when cursed, but if his token is attached to a Supernatural character, and he has curses, he will get to use the CURSED power.

3. When you activate someone else's Superpower with Mind or Butterfly, you resolve it as though it were your own. If you are using Goat's SP, you count your spent Charge actions. If you are injured and use a Cosmic SP, you will get that benefit. After playing Butterfly several times, I can tell you that you will want to get injured quickly to up the value of you future options.

4. This is a tricky one. Since Mind's SP does not say "BLOCK" it won't work that way. You will have to play SP during the Hero Phase to activate the other player's SP. Therefore, you will not want to put your token on a hero with a BLOCK only SP.

5. This is a response to your speculative note. The implementation of power tokens on Mind and Butterfly are slightly different, and that is going to influence the way that you can use them. Mind will still have his token attached until after the his entire SP is resolved. So if you have are activating a power that allows you to reattach, it isn't going to help you because you will still discard it afterwards. If you are activating a SP that forces you to discard your token, then you could be getting a sweet bonus since you were going to discard it anyway. For Blond, it wouldn't be that helpful because discarding the power token allows you to activate you SP again, but that would refer to YOUR superpower, which is pretty useless without the token attached. However, on Atom it would be awesome. You would KO a minion within RNG 2 and discard your token(which you would have done anyway) to deal 4 DMG to a villain.

Butterfly is a different. For her, you discard you power token to activate the ability, so it won't be attached when you activate the SP. She doesn't specify in her SP that the token has to be attached to her. It just has to be attached in order to be able to discard it. As Butterfly, you could draw into Dad, attach your token to someone, then when you activate your SP again, discard the token.

Those guys were very hard to make work in a way that most people would understand without too much complication. Fortunately, the really tricky ones are corner cases that won't come up much. They are both so much fun that we thought it was worth the risk of some confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hardboiled Gregg
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nicklittle wrote:
Hey Gregg,

I figured you'd be the first to ask about this.

Haha. I was watching the KS clock tick down and needed to occupy myself. whistle

Thanks for the answers and the insight. Can't wait to get my hands on these!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.