Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Orcs riding dinosaurs? A miniature game that is also a board game? Where have I seen this before?
I kid, I kid, it's not like either of these is a completely original idea in theme or in mechanics. However, I am pretty heavily invested in heroscape. It is pretty much my favorite game, so when I heard about BL I was excited. I thought, perhaps this will be my first foray into "the system." (Though I plan to play memoir 44 pretty soon.)
Then I looked at some pictures and reviews. Hmm. Not prepainted. Not a modular board. 2-player only. So what's different? Near as I can figure out, it is card driven instead of dice driven. Persuade me that I should make this investement, instead of expanding my heroscape collection.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
I am definitely going to stick with Heroscape, but I want to pick up the base set and check it out at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Get a second job at a fast food drive-thru window and collect both.

You know it is the only reasonable answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Why did the painter paint the wall for free? Because it was on the house.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think it's apples and oranges to compare these two games. They are much more different than alike. The games are on a different level, Heroscape being a skirmish game where you control individual figures as the basic unit, while BattleLore is a mass combat game where you control small units that make up a large army. Terrain in HS can be individual trees to a hex, while terrain hexes in BL are entire forests.

Heroscape has very simple mechanics, BattleLore's mechanics are more involved by comparison. The command cards in BL that allow you to activate units are a lot more varied and have a lot of special effects, compared to the hidden token activation of HS. The glyphs add a small subset of special game effects to HS, but BL has a second deck of cards, the lore cards, that have a lot more of these sorts of things. BL also has a war council that interacts with the command and lore cards. The HS combat is just rolling dice for hits vs. saves, the BL dice have 4 different kinds of hit symbols that are used depending on the unit types and weapons, a flag symbol for retreats and a lore symbol for gaining lore tokens (to use lore cards).

Both games are miniature and board game hybrids, but BL is more on the board game end of the scale than HS. I think of HS's appeal as being skewed more toward a younger, toy soldier audience and BL's appeal being more board game oriented and appealing more to an older audience with it more complex mechanics (and I mean complex here only in comparison HS, the BL rules aren't at all complex compared to most war games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, actually Heroscape is getting to that point. Nevertheless, it was not so much a question of if I could afford to get both, just if I SHOULD or if the similarities were too great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I haven't played BattleLore yet... but I have played Heroscape a lot and I've played both Battle Cry and M'44 quite a bit as well. I'd have to agree... the games and "systems" aren't really that similar at all... they all have figures and that's where it ends basically.

As far as complexity of Heroscape vs BattleLore... it does sound like BattleLore is more complex although Heroscape is very much an "open" type of system and users can and have made up many interesting scenarios which takes the game beyond a "roll dice till the last man is standing" type of game.

When you include the many interacting characters in Heroscape along with terrain effects and different goal-oriented scenarios I feel the Heroscape world can be just as interesting as the "C&C" world. Of course Heroscape has the advantage (and disadvatage as some may say) of having a modular board which you can build any way you want. C&C is, by design a 2-dimensional game although it's terrain tiles and modifiers give it a 3 dimensional feel... hills, forests, villages etc.

I must say that when I've played M'44 several times recently... I certainly didn't get the feel that I was playing a deep game. Quite the opposite... it actually felt lighter and more random and actually had less interesting decisions than Heroscape.

BattleLore certainly looks better than M'44 or Battle Cry to me and if I didn't have any of the C&C games I'd likely jump and buy it. Since I do though... I'm more hesitant. It still is the C&C sytem at heart... and it's a decent system but I don't think it's a game system that I really need to own every version of in order to have fun with it.

Regarding a recommendation to someone new to the system, if it's a choice between buying yet another wave of expansions for Heroscape or getting into the C&C system for the first time with BattleLore it's almost a no-brainer to try BattleLore. Too much Heroscape to me is just as derivative as too much Carcassonne, too much Settlers... etc.

I've always felt that having more than 1 or 2 expansions to a base system doesn't really increase the enjoyment of the game and basically amounts to using your gaming dollars to get less bang-for-the-buck than you could if you tried something new.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heroscape and the Commands and Colors series are different games and you can enjoy both if you can afford them. If it comes down to money, you might have to pick and choose expansions for each one or just concentrate on one of the games. One problem with BattleLore and Heroscape for some people (which problem I do not think exists with Commands and Colors: Ancients or Memoir '44), is the large number of expansions and blister packs that will be released, and the need of some people to collect everything. I have several bins of Heroscape figures/items so I know how that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Kenntak! Haven't seen you much over at the heroscape boards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Takacs
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to keep up with all of the posts. The board is very active over there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Willson
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Get a second job at a fast food drive-thru window and collect both.

You know it is the only reasonable answer.

Mod that - second job should be at your local game store, that way you'll atleast be able to watch someone play!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kitterman
United States
Silverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both Heroscape and also a lot of Battlecry and MM '44.

I definitely lean towards Battlelore. The system just has a lot more interesting decisions and thanks to the cards, the game also moves along quickly. Hard choices + quick play time = crazy fun.

However, Heroscape is by far the coolest looking game around. So, I am definitely planning on creating some 3d boards for Battlelore. Imagine using the new HS castle expansion. A real castle siege scenario would be excellent. Devide the board into the three sections with the different colored hex pieces. It could be nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I am heavily invested in Heroscape but it almost never gets played. I am heavily invested in the Borg games, Battle Cry, Memoir 44 plus expansions and C&C:Ancients with both expansions on pre-order. Memoir and Ancients get played a lot. The play per buck ratio has me leaning toward selling off H'scape stuff and going with The System as one geek calls it. But Battle Lore might kill the play of Ancients the way M'44 killed Battle Cry with my friends (who aren't playing H'scape anyway).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the advice. I think the 2-player thing is really what will keep me away (or at least make it less of a priority)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter M
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the 2-player issue. All my Heroscape games have been minimum 3 people, which I think makes it a lot more fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Lopez
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
Get off my lawn!
badge
The explanation: Impossible Triangle + TW (my company initials) = my logo.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Battlelore vs. Heroscape

...ready ... FIGHT!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Krug and Chompy would eat those puny BattleLore figs for breakfast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Cappello
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Google Fight sez:

heroscape 2,950,000 results
battlelore 2,850,000 results

Keep in mind, HS has been around longer than BL. I'm just saying...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.