Glory to Rome» Forums » General

Subject: Are there different I. V. editions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
Hello,
Does anyone knows if there are two separate I. V. editions, one with the poker chips and the other with 6 cards that replace them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think so but don't know if they are identifiable otherwise. I have seen both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
Hello,
Does anyone knows if there are two separate I. V. editions, one with the poker chips and the other with 6 cards that replace them?
Correct, those are 2 separate I.V editions. I've seen earlier copies with poker chips for the Vault bonuses which later got replaced with cards in a later printing. IIRC, the later printing also had a brighter printing (brightness?), and the cards were also physically smaller. The expansions cards that came out with the bb edition were also available for I.V, but only the later printing due to the size being the same as that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the one with cards is really version I.V.II
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
Is one better than the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
Is one better than the other?
I haven't played much with the "latter I.V" edition, but from my limited plays of that (~3 times), it plays functionally the same as the other. Minor stuff is I prefer the chips to the cards. If you want expansions for it, you'll want the latter too.

Oh, and the misprint on the Palisade got corrected...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
Weird.
I got two version of I.V. One has chips and the other cards. In the chips version the Palisade is printed correctly...

Would you mix and match? Put the chips in the newer version? (Thinking of selling one)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan C
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose."
mbmbmbmbmb
rseater wrote:

In other news Robert,

When will the I.V. edition be reprinted?

It's going on a year+ out of print now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Seater
United States
Ashland
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
I help designers improve their games.
badge
Feed me...games...
mbmbmbmbmb
looleypalooley wrote:
rseater wrote:

In other news Robert,

When will the I.V. edition be reprinted?

It's going on a year+ out of print now.

I don't really know. Ed is still talking about doing the reprint along with printing some other games we have in the queue. He has a new baby which is further adding noise to the equation (literally and figuratively). He has mentioned that if he can't make this next reprint work (and work profitably) that he will most likely license it out, so it will be available.

But none of that is official or even necessarily very accurate -- Right now, the submission & development side of CGF (where I am involved) is dormant, so I'm only very peripherally involved.

In any case, the next version will surely be I.X.II.V
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rseater wrote:
In any case, the next version will surely be I.X.II.V
Someone here on BGG mentioned while Romans certainly had the concept of decimals and fractions, they had no way to represent this in writing.

Well, I just noticed there's no way to represent 0 either, unless you want to say something like II."nulla".I
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
rseater wrote:
He has mentioned that if he can't make this next reprint work (and work profitably) that he will most likely license it out, so it will be available.

Pleas Ed, DON'T make it work. License it out. Don't ever get involved in producing or distributing games again.

On the original question, I believe there are (at least) three I.V editions. The first was printed in India. The other two were printed in China. The Indian cards are a different size from the Chinese cards. The second Chinese version had the site cards and merchant cards in a tuck box. I think the first Chinese edition had merchant chips, but maybe they were cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Badigel wrote:
Correct, those are 2 separate I.V editions. I've seen earlier copies with poker chips for the Vault bonuses which later got replaced with cards in a later printing. IIRC, the later printing also had a brighter printing (brightness?), and the cards were also physically smaller. The expansions cards that came out with the bb edition were also available for I.V, but only the later printing due to the size being the same as that.

I have an edition with rules dated 2007, tuck-boxes with thumb-cuts, and poker chips. Would that be one of the older versions of I.V, rather than the later printing?

The cards from my copy seem to match poker sized cards exactly - does that mean that the cards from Glory to Rome: Republic Expansion are smaller, and would not match what I have?

Judging by the information I'm seeing in the BGG Store, I suspect I have 64mm cards, while the cards from the newer I.V printing and from the expansion are actually 1mm narrower than standard sized playing cards - is that correct?
Quote:
One note on compatability: The expansion cards created with the original artwork are 63 mm x 88 mm. The 2007 printing of GtR I.V had cards that were 64.5 mm x 89.5 mm. If you sleeve your cards or have a later printing (which is the most common edition of I.V), then the promo cards will work fine. If not, you will find that the size of the cards is slightly mismatched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Mullet
United Kingdom
Exeter
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen single & double sided jacks in different printings of the IV edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EndersGame wrote:
I have an edition with rules dated 2007, tuck-boxes with thumb-cuts, and poker chips. Would that be one of the older versions of I.V, rather than the later printing?

I've only gotten into GtR since 2006/7 or so. AFAIK, that is an older edition. The tuckboxes go into a plastic "clam shell" case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.