Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Roll for the Galaxy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question about Genetics Lab & Consumer Markets starting abilities rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Genetics Lab: Produce: +$2 for each good represented by a Genes (green) die at the end of this phase.

Consumer Markets: Produce: +$1 for each good on a Novelty (cyan) world at the end of this phase.

The person who taught me this game said that these abilities consider the dice on all players' worlds. I suspect it might be only your own worlds. Which is correct?

Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Only your own worlds.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Bauer
United States
Smyrna
Georgia
flag msg tools
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
badge
Colored baggies for your games, www.boardgamestorage.com.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
Only your own worlds.


OK, that's what I thought, because I had this ability and it really seemed way overpowered to me

Although I have to admit I enjoyed the game more when I was playing it wrong and had lots more cash to spare (more workers to use every turn).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Schindler
United States
Lombard
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
Although I have to admit I enjoyed the game more when I was playing it wrong and had lots more cash to spare (more workers to use every turn).


I'll bet!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkbauer wrote:
Eric Brosius wrote:
Only your own worlds.


OK, that's what I thought, because I had this ability and it really seemed way overpowered to me

Although I have to admit I enjoyed the game more when I was playing it wrong and had lots more cash to spare (more workers to use every turn).

Such abilities wouldn't scale very well with bigger number of players it they were counting all players.

But Genetics Lab is very powerful, especially if you explore for green worlds and a synergetic development (discount for green/yellow world or +1VP for consume from green/yellow). Sadly there are not any such 6+ devs.
In 2 plays with this faction tile I was able to get 4,6 or even 8 $ regularly.
Bonus from Cosnsumer Markets (or Organized religion) wasn't so easy to abuse...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
"Abuse" is a pretty strong word. I played a game recently against a player with Genetics Lab who kept his green dice on worlds to gain big bucks ($6) during Produce. The hidden cost is that these green dice are very useful for building worlds; keeping them on his worlds for Produce meant that he wasn't building his tableau very efficiently. After countering with New Economy (so that I also gained big bucks on Produce/Ship cycles), I cruised to an easy win.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
"Abuse" is a pretty strong word. I played a game recently against a player with Genetics Lab who kept his green dice on worlds to gain big bucks ($6) during Produce. The hidden cost is that these green dice are very useful for building worlds; keeping them on his worlds for Produce meant that he wasn't building his tableau very efficiently. After countering with New Economy (so that I also gained big bucks on Consume/Ship cycles), I cruised to an easy win.

2 $ per good per Consume/ship cycle finances costs of recruiting completely. And guarantee you 2 VP per good (more if you manage to get Consume dice). Not bad for starting tile. Keeping green dice as goods for the long run may be not the best idea - but paradoxically if you already have 2 (or more) green dice as goods, and have 1 die in cup and rest in Citizenry calling Produce is more money effective than calling Ship.
And I've seen several times when Genetic Labs didn't worked.

Consumer Markets are easier to set up and use. Space Piracy as well.
But I haven't seen Organized Religion working really well. All these are 1$/die effects and seem smaller. Alien Archeology & Genetic Labs are 2$/die effects and are really powerful starters when starting world die matches color.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serge Levert
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
rafal100 wrote:
But I haven't seen Organized Religion working really well.

Hmm 2nd thread this has been said today... I love Galactic Religion and usually crush the game with it. Just put a high priority on cheap blue worlds and assign all your blue dice to explore/dev. Ideally dev spam. Win.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wei-Hwa Huang
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
entranced wrote:
rafal100 wrote:
But I haven't seen Organized Religion working really well.

Hmm 2nd thread this has been said today... I love Galactic Religion and usually crush the game with it. Just put a high priority on cheap blue worlds and assign all your blue dice to explore/dev. Ideally dev spam. Win.


It's possible that some Race for the Galaxy players have a blind spot, because Novelty + Develop is not really in the strategy space for Race.

I love thinking about the story elements inherent in Galactic Religion. Step 1: Evangelize the religion to recruit lots of cheap, easy-to-get artists, leave them on their own in the private sector to do their own thing. Step 2: Work on lots of infrastructure and new technology. The artisans in the private sector will make them look prettier and therefore more money-making. Step 3: Profit!

If this were a more humorous game, I'd call it "Galactic Steve Jobs".
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
onigame wrote:
entranced wrote:
rafal100 wrote:
But I haven't seen Organized Religion working really well.

Hmm 2nd thread this has been said today... I love Galactic Religion and usually crush the game with it. Just put a high priority on cheap blue worlds and assign all your blue dice to explore/dev. Ideally dev spam. Win.


It's possible that some Race for the Galaxy players have a blind spot, because Novelty + Develop is not really in the strategy space for Race.

I love thinking about the story elements inherent in Galactic Religion. Step 1: Evangelize the religion to recruit lots of cheap, easy-to-get artists, leave them on their own in the private sector to do their own thing. Step 2: Work on lots of infrastructure and new technology. The artisans in the private sector will make them look prettier and therefore more money-making. Step 3: Profit!

If this were a more humorous game, I'd call it "Galactic Steve Jobs".

Yes, but there is one detail , which makes this plan a somewhat hard .
Blue dice (I,IV,IV,V,V,*) aren't better in I and II than white dice(I,I,II,III,IV,V). I say they are worse - if you are trying to roll I OR II there is only 2 faces on blue die and 3 on White. Unless you get some harder working dice (red,brown,yellow) to do the development work and blue stay in Citizenry. Bah, even Consumption and Genes dice are better.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.