Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrik Strömer
Sweden
Lidingo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you know if anyone is cheating in this game?

/Strömer, from Sweden

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Wolf
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
You really can't, unless you have an additional person who doesn't play but acts as Ref. You're too distracted by your own stuff when playing to pay attention to what other people are doing. It's just not a game to play with people you can't trust to play fair.

IMO, the bigger potential problem is someone making a placement/production mistake and not catching it for several minutes, if at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron K
United States
jamesville
New York
flag msg tools
'80' maxlength='250'> </td> </tr> <tr> <td width="15%" align="right"><b>Avatar OverText</b></td> <td width="85%"> <input type="text" name="overtext[avatar]" value="Train Game anyone?
badge
Train Game anyone?
mbmbmbmbmb
The biggest barrier we had was that everyone needed to know the rules very well as no one wanted to entertain questions (especially concept related ones) once the game began. After the fact, we've found we missed a rule or two (but missed them uniformly so no one had an advantage).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
While I generally try not to play with cheaters, it does seem like any sort of tournament would need a ref per game.

I have also been in groups with people who get caught up in the game and tend to make rules mistakes; I'd probably avoid the game with these people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Strömer
Sweden
Lidingo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok ,thanksalot.

I guess it is more common to play with people who misunderstand the rules than try to cheat, but anyway it seems like I should not invest my money here.

/Strömer, from Sweden

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Dutre
Belgium
Leuven; Puurs
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
That was also one of our discussion points. If someone makes an unintentional mistake, it's nearly impossible to backtrack and correct it, basically stopping the game right there.

We had an instance where a player built a card with high demand, but it was placed illegally. Since everyone is so engrossed in their own game, this was only discovered later. Immediate reaction was to remove that card, but another player already had a spaceship moving there to fulfill that demand, so he was screwed too. We decided to stop the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Farrell
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree rules errors are a bummer, but really, this is just not that sort of game. You make a snap ruling that keeps the game going, and move on. It's easy to make mistakes the first game, but everyone's likely just going to be learning the game the first time, so just keep moving and enjoy the experience.

Also, if you are the owner/rules teacher for this, you have to a) be pretty comfortable with the rules before you start, and b) be willing to pause and answer questions. This is a real-time game, after all. If you can't do this, it's going to be a problem. If you have experienced players and new players in the same game, the experienced players have to be willing to pause and answer the questions. 15 seconds is not going to kill you, and again, this is much more of an experience game than a competitive game. Relax and keep the game moving.

If you know anyone who you suspect of moral flexibility, you need to play some other game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.