Subject: Second play - more questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We got our second 2-player game in. We're enjoying it even more, the more we learn it.

1. The Shady Captain says "without paying other costs." This implies I am paying some cost to begin with. What is that implied cost?

2. Inauspicious Signs - what does this card do? Who draws what?

3. The Pilot vs Volcano of the Angry Goddess - how are you able to ignore the text on this location and determine the number of encounters required? I guess you cannot use his ability at this location?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Lamb
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Glad to hear you're having fun with the game!

1. The Shady Captain and Paragon Captain's text is just trying to clarify that you don't pay any of the resources needed to Acquire the Crew member - Exhausting the Captain is the entire cost.

2. You can play Inauspicious Signs on another player's turn if they draw a particularly easy Encounter (or one their Crew is just well set-up to deal with), in the hopes that they get something worse.

3. If you use the Pilot's ability at the Volcano, you simply face 2 Encounters as though you had Sacrificed a Crew member, but without needing to Sacrifice anyone. I meant to clarify that in the FAQ in the rulebook, but lost that detail in one of the drafts - whoops!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drborts wrote:

2. You can play Inauspicious Signs on another player's turn if they draw a particularly easy Encounter (or one their Crew is just well set-up to deal with), in the hopes that they get something worse.

Hi Austin,
Just need some clarity on this one.

It says: "Redraw an Encounter just drawn by another player, before resolving any "Upon Facing" effects."

You can play this card one an opponent during their turn then? Is that just because it has the backstab symbol? I presume you cannot play a Strange Tincture on someone during their turn. What about the other cards with the backstab? Can I play Assassination for example on a player during their turn? Bad Omens as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Spain
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play Resource cards during an opponent's encounter, before they play anything to meet its difficulty. You could, for example, play an Assassination and a Strange Tincture on another player after they flip over their encounter. The window for other players to play Resource cards or use abilities (in the case of Sandbad) closes as soon as the active player starts spending toward their Encounter.

The general rule is that Crew can only be used during your own turn, while Resources can be played at any time --except while the other player is in the middle of an Encounter or is acquiring cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Hurd
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So...competitive play is even more cutthroatery than I knew devil

Now that you've mentioned Sandbad...when you spend Gold tokens to increase the difficulty of an Encounter - do you choose whether to increase Heroism or Skullduggery? Can you increase a mix of the two? Can you ever create a Gold requirement for an Encounter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Spain
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcking wrote:
So...competitive play is even more cutthroatery than I knew devil

Now that you've mentioned Sandbad...when you spend Gold tokens to increase the difficulty of an Encounter - do you choose whether to increase Heroism or Skullduggery? Can you increase a mix of the two? Can you ever create a Gold requirement for an Encounter?

As Sandbad, you can only choose from the difficulties listed on the Encounter. In the case of Encounters with split difficulties, you must either choose Heroism or Skullduggery at the time you spend your tokens (but the player facing the Encounter does not need to choose the same as you).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.