Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » VIC (Melbourne)

Subject: Report from first sucessful wargaming meetup rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Millar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Over a month ago I posted a thread on this forum looking for fellow wargamers or anyone who wanted to learn wargaming. Well things could of not of turned out better.

For starters I was contacted by tumblesteak who had played a lot of heavier Euro's and wanted to try wargaming. So we hooked up and have since been playing every two weeks. We began with the relatively simple tactical WWII game Combat Commander: Europe and soon we will be tackling the masterpiece that is Paths of Glory (name taken from Stanley Kubrick's film on WWI staring Kirk Douglas).

But the highlight has been witnessing tumblesteak, Epee and other gamers way younger than me use their internet social skills to organize a 4 player game of the new COIN(Counter insurgency)series game Fire in the Lake set during the Vietnam war. We played at the Games Laboratory in the Melbourne CBD from 10am till 5pm. It was terrific, firstly just to be around such intelligent enthusiastic young folks and secondly to be in a room full of boardgamers. I had no idea just how active and alive the boardgaming scene has become in this city.

Next on the agenda is a full six player game of Here I Stand. A game I have been dying to play for years.

Other games that we have discussed playing are Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe, Virgin Queen,Empire of the Sun,The Napoleonic Wars (Second Edition),High Frontier just to name a few.

I have also played Advanced Squad Leader for over 20 years. I am always keen to teach newcomers, especially young people how to play, so as to help keep this all time classic game alive for future generations.

So if you are an existing wargamer who has been sitting at home on your lonesome or someone who wants to learn how to play these more challenging games please message me. Believe me you don't need to be a right wing republican/Liberal party supporter to want to play Wargames I am personally opposed to all wars of conquest (i.e. Iraq) though I do support wars of liberation i.e the Spanish Civil War Crusade and Revolution: The Spanish Civil War, 1936-1939, Angola. Politics aside if you are interested in a combination of real history and gaming then wargaming is for you. Players of any sex, colour or creed are ofcourse welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nic Geard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to meet you for FitL on Saturday Simon; looking forward to the next game!

As a relative newcomer, I'm also pleased that the thriving boardgaming scene in Melbourne has the potential to give rise to a (perhaps smaller but equally energetic) wargaming movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Millar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto Nic, I am very excited for Here I Stand and more FITL. Also many of the best war games are two player so if you are interested in the future I like to play some of those with you. Today scouring utube video's on Here I Stand I came across Quinn's video (from Shut Up & Sit Down website which I love) of his unfortunate attempt to play Virgin Queen.

What it demonstrates is that Wargames cannot be taught like Euro games and the like, it really does require every player to try and learn the rules and the person running the game (unless they know it already) really has to spent several weeks preparing by doing solo play throughs. It's is demanding but I believe the rewards a more than worth it.

take care
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Moura
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if I didn't properly convey how long FiTL could run - we could have played a shorter campaign, but given the change I always try to play the full game. Next time I am sure we can comfortably play it to completion.

I watched Quinn's video of his attempt to play Virgin Queen - really amusing, also am a fan of Shut Up & Sit Down. Virgin Queen and HiD are another level of difficulty, and you are right that they require homework by the players, and at least one person at the table should be familar with all the rules. All that being said, HiS is slightly easier than VQ, and both Ryan (who you will meet on Sunday) and myself have played many 6 player face to face games to completion in one day.

Looking forward to HiS and more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nic Geard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Christian - no worries! I always like to leave my learning game incomplete... that way I don't have to witness the full consequences of my early strategic blunders. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hecker
Australia
Kallista, jewel of the Dandenongs
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to have missed this one. I've played Here I Stand a few times but can teach Paths of Glory with my eyes closed or Pursuit of Glory for the braver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Millar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I am very keen to play some more Paths of Glory.

We are quickly gathering players, Rahn has two more friends who wish to participate and I received another message via these boards of a miniature player who wants to try war gaming. Six of us are having a game of Here I Stand this Sunday, I will raise the topic of how we can involve other people via social media and game days in public venues. I think Melbourne desperately needs a club/organisation that is devoted to this aspect of the board gaming hobby.

I think Unconditional Surrender could be another great game for us to learn and bring others into the hobby, though I am also keen to follow up Here I Stand with a play through of Virgin Queen and/or Angola. Breakout Normandy is another game I am dying to play, I have a delux copy, it is a staple of the World Boardgaming Championship.

Once we get a Facebook page or the like set up, we can use it get people together to play each other plus arrange bigger meetups. Keen to know if anyone else thinks this is a good idea?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chee-Yan Hiew
Australia
Eaglemont
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interested in learning Paths of Glory too.

Dont get much time off for wargaming recently though.

Here I stand is a great game. Where are you all playing ?

Chee-Yan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Millar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are playing at a private residence, the game has a full compliment of six players unfortunately. But as the numbers interested people expand I can see us running two or more game simultaneously. I am up for a game of Paths but my schedule is pretty full in the short term. I will have a free day in a month or so.

You may wish to contact Richard Hecker who posted above for a game sooner. We also plan to play more games at Games Laboratory in the City. I have also noticed that another gaming venue has opened in North Fitzroy.

We plan to use BGG and other social media as a way to hook players up with each other as well as build group events aimed and drawing in new players to the hobby.

stay in touch

regards

Simon
aka

thedeadaremany

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hecker
Australia
Kallista, jewel of the Dandenongs
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to arrange a FtF Paths game I'm more than happy. I work in Port Melbourne but live out in the Dandenongs. If you wish to come up to the hills for a one-on-one teaching session on a weekend I'm more than happy. (Note microbadges - there will be noises.) After work is possible but I'm at the mercy of Metro Trains so would rather not.

And if you want to go for the magnificence and chaos that is Pursuit of Glory, I;d be overjoyed.

Certainly a mass weekend meetup in the city is do-able. Could probably teach two games simultaneously or at least adjudicate on multiple.

O ye gods, what have I just volunteered for...!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Henderson
Australia
Oakleigh
Vic
flag msg tools
mb
Hey Guys,

I'd be interested in joining any wargame sessions. Pretty much any of the games mentioned are of intered. In particular I've bee trying to get Unconditional surrender to the table for a while but open to playing any others. Free most weekends and usually on Thursday, Monday and Friday nights

cheers

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.