Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yoosuk Choi
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen a lot of positive reviews for this game and after playing a PnP version of the game with my family and friends I would agree that it is a great social deduction game. However, there is one thing that I haven't seen addressed and I thought I should mention it.

For those who have social anxiety or are simply hyper self aware of the things they say, this game can exacerbate that self consciousness and practically prevent that person from enjoying themselves. The feeling of exclusion that the spy can feel might hit a little too close to real life feelings of exclusion or not fitting in.

I think this might be rare but I know someone in my group who felt this way and was not able to mention it till much later because they didn't want to "ruin the fun". This could be a consideration because I know I won't be able to enjoy a game if I know it is making someone at the table uncomfortable.

Thoughts are welcome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes games like this are certainly not for everyone. Some people just cannot come up with a question and sit there feeling dumb.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Cam
Belgium
Kontich
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's true for any social deduction game. The problem specific to this game is that you need people to be reasonably creative and quick talkers whereas in something like Resistance someone can get by with just yes and no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yoosuk Choi
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
krommenaas wrote:
That's true for any social deduction game. The problem specific to this game is that you need people to be reasonably creative and quick talkers whereas in something like Resistance someone can get by with just yes and no.

This is the difference that can make it more stressful. Your assessment of those who are not good at this game as not creative is the type of mentality that creates an environment that can feel judgmental. The game puts you on the spot and there is that pressure to be creative or funny etc. A person who is not aware of how people with social anxiety may not even realize this is an issue.

In a game like the Resistance, it gives you a jumping of point by giving you a position to play from but also allows the player to interact to a level that they are comfortable with.

If you've ever sat in class waiting to give a speech that you dreaded the whole time, you'll understand how it can feel to be stressed in this way. On the other hand, the Resistance is more like a discussion that you can choose to participate it at your comfort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filip Cam
Belgium
Kontich
Antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I said it's a problem, so why are you acting like I don't get it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.