Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,
I've recently created some stickers (for wooden blocks) to create both Mordor and Free Peoples armies.
That way I hope to better engage my son to play this game (Old Japan / Samurai Era doesn't look attractive to him) cry

I've also adapted Command and Dragon cards and manged to create a Vassal module to be played online.

Here you can see a preview.

What do you think about it?

I would also like to include some "tolkien style" terrains, but I really don't know where to start from!

Any suggestions / ideas / help out there?

Please let me know
Thank you in advance for your feedback.
Alessandro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is super AWESOME! A great idea! Please do it! If you need some help, with translation or basic graphic, just ask. Contact me by pm.

Caesar wrote:
Hi guys,
That way I hope to better engage my son to play this game (Old Japan / Samurai Era doesn't look attractive to him) cry

Same problem here!

May I ask you where you bought the wooden blocks and would you mind to share the stickers (with instructions please)?

I'm looking forward to having a SB-LOTR experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Scholes
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
g1ul10 wrote:
This is super AWESOME! A great idea! Please do it! If you need some help, translational or basic graphic, just ask. Contact me by pm.

Caesar wrote:
Hi guys,

Same problem here!

May I ask you where you bought the wooden blocks and would you mind to share the stickers (with instructions please)?

I'm looking forward to having a SB-LOTR experience!

Please excuse my butting in, but on the question of wooden blocks, I've seen some people using wooden scrabble tiles stuck together in pairs to make wooden blocks for wargames, they seem to be available relatively cheaply on eBay. I have enquired with GMT about purchasing a set of wooden blocks that they use for Commands and Colors but while they are willing to sell them shipment to the UK (and I assume the rest of Europe) makes them very expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
will it be battles from the books, or more freeform?

aside from Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith, and the river one whose name I forget, what other battles can there be?

I think I would have gone for BattleLore (or BattleLore 2 perhaps, I haven't played that) for the core.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.T. Selvaggio
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool idea. Posting the sticker sheets on BGG and images to make a deck of cards at Printer Studio would be great.

I purchased blocks from GMT and used the sticker sheets posted here to make a block version of this game. Could not stand assembling the models!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
Aside from Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith, and the river one whose name I forget, what other battles can there be?

Hi Mark,
I do believe main battles could be easily covered and then can be improved with more freeform scenarios.

Minedog3 wrote:
I think I would have gone for BattleLore (or BattleLore 2 perhaps, I haven't played that) for the core.

Sadly I didn't play BL at all and I got attracted from Dragon Deck.
Maybe I could have a brief read to BL2 rules...

Stickers are ready and the creation of a new cardset is not a problem!

Open to suggestions.
Alessandro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BL2 does in fact expand on the "Dragon Cards" concept introducing the very similar "Lore" system. Lore cards in BL2 are however faction-specific and strongly "themed". The "honour" systems, in which one loses power when forced to retreat, it's not there anymore. I think this is a very effective way to simply represent the "morale" on the battlefield and thematically extends far beyond medieval Japan. In Bl2 units have very specific abilities and rules too. Leaders disappear. This make the whole game experience quite different. It's more a skirmish feeling than a battle feeling, so to speak. I played it a lot, I'm still playing it a lot, and I love it. But while a LOTR version of BL2 seems to me pretty pointless, a SB re-themed version could constitute a different take to the fantasy battle idea in the C&C system. Just my 2 cents.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,
this is my first try!
I've created these terrains (from several "middle earth" map found online):
- town (bree)
- village (hobbiton)
- mount doom
- barad dur
- hills
- mountains
- forest
- pine forest

I've also placed some unit on the board to see the overview...

What do you think about the result?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good morning guys,
I've just uploaded all the files on https://www.commandsandcolors.net/samuraibattles website (Download section).
I've also uploaded Vassal game module v 0.61 even if it's actually a WIP.
So if you'd like to download, please consider it as "unfinished".

Suggestions are welocme.
Alessandro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just added some details:
- FP heroes (leaders)
- MORDOR heroes (leaders)
- terrain: ramparts
- terrain: walls (white)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cards translations.

Leaders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
Cards translations.

will work on them ASAP, replacing texts with original ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Wow! I'm really impressed. Command and Morale Cards are beautiful. You did a splendid job!

If I can dare, I have two minor suggestions concerning the Italian translation. I would add the article in the card title, like "Comanda 1 unita' a sinistra" instead of "Comanda 1 unita' sinistra" or "Manovra a sinistra" instead of "Manovra sinistra" (which, written this way, could also mean "sinister manoeuvre"). I think this way they are a bit easier to read (but maybe it's just me). I also suggest to translate the card "Leadership" with something like "Capacita' di Comando" (which is probably near a literal translation) or maybe "Comando Risoluto" (which I like more). What do you think?

But above all: thank you for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Read the rulebook, plan for all contingencies, and…read the rulebook again.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:

aside from Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith, and the river one whose name I forget, what other battles can there be?

There's a few:

The battle at the Ford of Isen is the one I think you're thinking of.

There's the ambush of the Haradrim/Southrons that Farimir's Rangers sprang and that Frodo and Sam witnessed.

There's the final Wreck of Osgiliath and Farimir's sortie to retrieve the rear guard.

There's Argorn's sweep with the Dunedain and the Oath Breakers of the lands along the Anduin and overthrowing the Corsairs of Umbar.

There's the Siege of Minas Tirith where the Witch breaks down the city gate, and the Battle of the Pelennor Fields that can be broken into the arrival of the Rohirrim and the coming of Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, the Dunedain. Perhaps even more phases.

There's also the battle before the Black Gate when Sauron tried to crush the Free Peoples just as Frodo and Gollum fought over The Ring.

There was mention of assaults on Lorien and Erebor. You could game those out, somehow.

Helms Deep can be broken into two or three parts: Theoden's arrival ahead of Saruman's forces, the assault on the walls, and the breakout just as the Ents and Hourns arrive.

Maybe the Ents' assault on Isengard.

You could have the Mustering of the Shire where they chase off "Sharkey's" goons.

Maybe the night skirmish where the Elves of Lorien chase off the orcs that were on the Fellowship's trail after the passage of Moria.

Also the skirmish where Eomer's patrol ride down the Orcs carrying Merry and Pippin to Isenguard.

Those are the ones that come to mind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minedog3 wrote:
Cards translations.

Leaders

Here you can find the Vassal Game module with updated English Cards.
https://www.commandsandcolors.net/samuraibattles/downloads/c...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brady,
your battle / scenario list looks amazing... Great job!
If some one would like to download the module and try to assemble one of these, we could playtest it and see if there are some missing "terrain hexes" to be designed or anything else.
Let me know and thank you for your support.
Alessandro
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Years ago, someone else actually tried to do these battles for 1st edition BattleLore that were put up on DoW's website. I distinctly remember the battle for Ford of Isen. Maybe somebody reading this captured those and could share them with you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you mean this one?

In this page you can also find a downloadable PDF.
http://www.battleloremaster.com/adventures_unofficial.html

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's it! Thanks for the link! I'll check it out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Crespi
Italy
Bologna
Bologna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just trying to fit it on the map...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Heckman
United States
Ocoee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tried downloading the Vassal Mod, but I don't see any cards, English or Italian.

Would love to see English translations of your cards and unit summaries.

- C

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.