Subject: Want to play, what should I buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Ok, I was looking at getting this game to play with me gf, but I am seriously confused about wtf is going on with this game. There's expansions and bundles and revised editions and upgrades and god knows what else.

So, as someone who has nothing from this game yet, and has no interest in learning German, what should I get to play this game? And if I get what you suggest, would I be able to easily get the expansions if I end up really liking this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary C
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you just want to get started playing the Settlers of Catan Card Game, you can buy the base game and the expansion set just about anywhere as they are readily available. The base game should be enough to last you for a while to decide if you even want to expand. The expansion set includes about 6 different expansions for the game.

Here are ThoughtHammer's links just as reference:

Basic Game: http://thoughthammer.com/product_info.php?products_id=1416

Expansion set: http://thoughthammer.com/product_info.php?products_id=1489

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Shryke wrote:
So, as someone who has nothing from this game yet, and has no interest in learning German, what should I get to play this game?

To clarify what Gary said...

If you are new to the game, you can ignore everything that was released prior to the most recent edition! Start with the Basic Game 2006 Edition (see Gary's link); if that's to your liking, you can add the Expansion Set 2006 Edition (see Gary's second link). Note that the box art in Gary's links is different from the real box art for the new editions... Oy vey!

It got confusing for folks who owned earlier editions, but for newcomers it is quite simple. Enjoy the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary C
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification Dave. I've been under the weather a bit lately, so explaining my thoughts wasn't really done very well, you summed up my thoughts perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks a ton guys, that clears everything up. I'd tip the lot of you, but I'm poor as dirt. So here's some a pirate and a mauve camel in lieu of cash.

arrrh
grapecamel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.