Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
21 Posts

Race! Formula 90» Forums » Rules

Subject: Official rules clarifications for Race! Formula 90 ver 1.2 (long) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alessandro Lala
United Kingdom
Weston-Super-Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
badge
Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have collected several questions received in the last months and used them to create a new version of the official FAQ document. It will be available on BGG shortly.

For convenience, the additions are summarised below.

BR
Alessandro


Extreme Trajectories

If I pit and after moving backwards I end up in a section with a free extreme trajectory spot, can I occupy that spot?

[AL] Yes. After you pit you are placed behind any other car and flag in that section. If the trajectory spot is availale to you then you may decide to take it.

Exactly when do I do a extreme trajectory check? Before I draw my card or after?

[AL] Before you draw your card for the turn.

The statement in the rulebook of Expansion #1, page 4, first column, fourth paragraph from the bottom, should be
"At the very beginning of his next turn, before drawing a card, a player occupying the initial point of an Extreme Trajectory can either:"


Teammates

I am in the lead and am going to lap my teammate robot. Do I have do to a leader lap check to lap my teammate?

[AL] You always ignore your teammate. So no leader check required when lapping him.

Can a team mate robot unlap itself?

[AL] Robot teammates like any other robot never proactively unlap themselves.
However in a corner section by playing an orange card you may force your teammate robot to declare a contest and this may result in the robot un-lapping itself.

If I discard a Track card to help a teammate, must it obey the rules about playing Track cards in specific corners? For example, if I play red Track card for corner 1 on my teammate, must he move through corner 1 on his turn?

[AL] The corner number does not matter.

Suppose I'm chasing a teammate robot, which is helped for his movement by a red card : can I use this card, according to the Chase strategy rules ?

[AL] In case the chased car is a robot you may pick the top card in the discard pile. If this is the same red card you used for helping your teammate that it is not a problem. You can still draw this one.

If I crash and I'm out of the race can I keep playing my remaining cards to help my teammate during his turns?

[AL] Rules imply that when you are out of the race you are out. You discard all your cards and you can just watch the rest of the race. So no help for your teammate.

My opponent (using a orange pawn) wants to force my teammate to attempt a late brake. Can I play a green card at this time to protect my teammate (+20 in check test).

[AL] Yes.


Strategies and Skills


Chase - exactly when do I identify the car I am chasing?

[AL] The chased opponent is established at the beginning of the game turn ie immediately after you move the turn pawn and before the leader moves. You just take a picture of the car positions at that moment and chased/chasers are established at that time once and for all.

Chase - Suppose that the car I am chasing fails a late-brake or ET check and goes off track (or crashes! Hurray!). Can I get a track card for catching up to him?

[AL] No. He is off-track so you cannot get a track card for catching up with him.

Versatility - exactly when do I switch strategy?

[AL] Before you draw your card for the turn.

Reflexes - In the core rules, it says that skills do not work if a car is in the off-track trajectory. But the expansion rules say this about extreme trajectories and the reflexes skill: "... but you can still use the Reflexes skill if you go off-track and need to regain control along the subsequent Off-Track trajectory." This contradicts the core rules. Can I use reflexes when I am off-track or not?

[AL] No.
The statement in the expansion rulebook is plain wrong. In accordance with the game rules you cannot use Reflexes along the off-track trajectory.


Miscellaneous

Refuel
Advanced game . Let's say that my programmed pit stop is on 10th turn but I need do it on 8th because I'm out of tires. Where should I put the refueling chit? on 18th turn or 20th?

[AL] You place it on turn 18th.

Exactly when do I draw Track cards for specials? The rules don't say.

[AL] Immediately when you satisfy the required condition. For example with Hazard as soon as you draw a damage disc or pass a check; with Balance as soon as you play a card matching the trajectory colour; with Chase at the end of your movement if you finish in the same section as the chased car and so on. Note that the only strategy whch provides a Track card BEFORE playing your movement cards is Lucky.

A player takes a pitstop and moves his car backward into a corner with a yellow flag.
Where should the car be placed - in front of or after the yellow flag?

[AL] After. Which implies that you will not able to take trajectories as yellow flags are always positioned before trajectories.

The expansion rulebook offers the following rule clarification:
"If two or more cars are in a corner section in the last turn of the race or during a restart, then a contest may take place before any of these cars in the corner section can move."
How can there be two cars in a corner section after a restart? A restart means after the safety car has left the track and all cars are lined up with one car in each section.

[AL] True enough. Ignore the restart case.
6 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
air show
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice work!

but in this thread

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1232532/skipping-game-turn-...

you said "A car that has skipped its turn can be overtaken/lapped by spending 1 movement point independently on what section it is in"

whereas in the faq you assume that if in a Corner section there are 2 cars in order of play after a contest,and the first car does not move (ie.he passes) then the second car is blocked.

Which is correct? or maybe I haven't note something?

anyway, this is one of the best game I've played! The day after our first game, with 6 players, we bought 5 game + expansion + metal cars bundles!!

AS

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Lala
United Kingdom
Weston-Super-Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
badge
Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
air show wrote:
Nice work!

but in this thread

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1232532/skipping-game-turn-...

you said "A car that has skipped its turn can be overtaken/lapped by spending 1 movement point independently on what section it is in"

whereas in the faq you assume that if in a Corner section there are 2 cars in order of play after a contest,and the first car does not move (ie.he passes) then the second car is blocked.

Which is correct? or maybe I haven't note something?

anyway, this is one of the best game I've played! The day after our first game, with 6 players, we bought 5 game + expansion + metal cars bundles!!

AS



Thanks for the note.
There is an official ruling on these roadblock situations in the Expansion #1 rulebook and yes, you can overtake cars skipping their turn by spending 1 MP.
I will fix this in the next version of the FAQ.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismael Descolado
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job, Alessandro!

Quote:
anyway, this is one of the best game I've played!


Oh yes, I agree. I love this game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget the top two questions!

Q: Can I playtest the solo rules?

Q: When will the next expansion be released, along with the solo rules?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Lala
United Kingdom
Weston-Super-Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
badge
Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I will keep those in mind
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Q: Weather is unsettled at the start of the race at Spa. Which tyres do the robots get?

Q: A player takes his pitstop, moves back into a corner with a yellow flag and with no other cars. Where is the car placed - in front of or after the yellow flag?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:
Q: Weather is unsettled at the start of the race at Spa. Which tyres do the robots get?

Page 17 of the rule book "If the weather is uncertain they select the type of tyres matching the closest stable weather condition on the Weather table. If the pawn is placed right in the middle between dry and rainy
weather then choose the robots tyres randomly."

Slotracer wrote:
Q: A player takes his pitstop, moves back into a corner with a yellow flag and with no other cars. Where is the car placed - in front of or after the yellow flag?

Alessandro just posted this above
Greenskid wrote:
[AL] After. Which implies that you will not able to take trajectories as yellow flags are always positioned before trajectories.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanls, missed the last one from Alessandro.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Lala
United Kingdom
Weston-Super-Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
badge
Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ryan3740 wrote:
Slotracer wrote:
Q: Weather is unsettled at the start of the race at Spa. Which tyres do the robots get?

Page 17 of the rule book "If the weather is uncertain they select the type of tyres matching the closest stable weather condition on the Weather table. If the pawn is placed right in the middle between dry and rainy
weather then choose the robots tyres randomly."

Slotracer wrote:
Q: A player takes his pitstop, moves back into a corner with a yellow flag and with no other cars. Where is the car placed - in front of or after the yellow flag?

Alessandro just posted this above
Greenskid wrote:
[AL] After. Which implies that you will not able to take trajectories as yellow flags are always positioned before trajectories.


Actually I used the wrong English there.
"yellow flags are always positioned after trajectories"
When you move back you are positioned after any car in the section, likewise you are positioned after any flag in the section.
Hope this is clear.

Thanks
A
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Bernal
Spain
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to be clear. When you stop, you put yourself at the end of the sector. So ahead of you, are the other cars (if any) and ahead yellow flags(if any) and ahead trajectories (if any). Is that correct?
I understand that can be cars on trajectories put there before the yellow flag entered in the game.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Lala
United Kingdom
Weston-Super-Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
badge
Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
garthek wrote:
I want to be clear. When you stop, you put yourself at the end of the sector. So ahead of you, are the other cars (if any) and ahead yellow flags(if any) and ahead trajectories (if any). Is that correct?
I understand that can be cars on trajectories put there before the yellow flag entered in the game.




Yes. When you stop you are placed behind any object which is at that time in the section (cars and flags).
If in this position a trajectory spot is still available to you, then go for it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Briscoe
United Kingdom
Shropshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
So does the yellow flag get positioned well into the bend AFTER the trajectories and not before? cause that is a huge rule difference.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Lala
United Kingdom
Weston-Super-Mare
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
badge
Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the situation

JUST PITTED CAR ==> YELLOW FLAG ==> TRAJECTORY

after you pit you end up behind the yellow flag, which in turn is behind the trajectories.

Hope this helps.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Greenskid wrote:
This is the situation

JUST PITTED CAR ==> YELLOW FLAG ==> TRAJECTORY

after you pit you end up behind the yellow flag, which in turn is behind the trajectories.

Hope this helps.


Sorry, but this I would call 'in front of the yellow flag',
since you have to deal with the yellow flag on your next turn.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:
Greenskid wrote:
This is the situation

JUST PITTED CAR ==> YELLOW FLAG ==> TRAJECTORY

after you pit you end up behind the yellow flag, which in turn is behind the trajectories.

Hope this helps.


Sorry, but this I would call 'in front of the yellow flag',
since you have to deal with the yellow flag on your next turn.


No... this is Behind the Yellow flag...

The Yellow Flag is in front of the car... if the yellow flag was a car it would be in front of a car that just pitted...

Don't know how you can see it any other way!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
Slotracer wrote:
Greenskid wrote:
This is the situation

JUST PITTED CAR ==> YELLOW FLAG ==> TRAJECTORY

after you pit you end up behind the yellow flag, which in turn is behind the trajectories.

Hope this helps.


Sorry, but this I would call 'in front of the yellow flag',
since you have to deal with the yellow flag on your next turn.


No... this is Behind the Yellow flag...

The Yellow Flag is in front of the car... if the yellow flag was a car it would be in front of a car that just pitted...

Don't know how you can see it any other way!


Okay, now I see what you mean, thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Freels
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found two slight errors on page 6 of the new FAQ. I posted them in the comments of the file section.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After talking to Alessandro regarding the entry in the FAQ on page 6:

"If the Leader fails a Leader check in a braking section for lapping another car, can he attempt a Late Braking?

No. A Late Braking must be declared immediately when entering the braking section. You cannot start lapping in the section and
then depending on the outcome to roll back and declare a Late Braking."

Muse23PT wrote:
Hi Alessandro,

got a question that I thought was already replied to but I can't find it anywhere :s

If the Leader reaches a Braking Section and there are 3 about to be lapped cars there and he has still 2 MP does he:

- Have to spend all his MP to pass the cars he can doing a Leader Check for each car, in this case he would try to pass the last car and do a Leader check... if successful he would do it again to spend his last MP and
If successful he would still have 1 car in front of him...

Can he at this point do a LB to be able to pass the last car and if successful move to the next section?

I was under the impression that the Player always has to spend all his MP when possible, he can't just choose to not spend them to avoid checks, like leader checks...

But then in the FAQ this is written:

"Q: If the Leader fails a Leader check in a braking section for lapping another car, can he attempt a Late Braking?

A: No. A Late Braking must be declared immediately when entering the braking section. You cannot start lapping in the section and
then depending on the outcome to roll back and declare a Late Braking."

Isn't the player Required to spend all his movement points before declaring the LB? Isn't he obligated to spend those points to try to lap the slower cars and do the Leader Checks?

I always thought that he had to do it... if so he can't make the choice to do a LB immediately when he enters the breaking section right?

I thought that he had to spend the MP, and one of 2 things happens:

- He's successful in all the Leader Checks he has to do and is able to spend all his MP and at that point he can decide if he wants to do a LB

- He's not successful in one of the Leader Checks he was doing and therefor his turn is over and he can't at this point do a LB because he failed one of the Leader Checks meaning he wasn't able to pass one of the slower cars and has no time to do the LB at that point

The same questions could be asked when it's the first, last or restart turn of the game, or if the player was using Banging Wheels but here it wouldn't matter much because the player will always be able to pass the other drivers because he's not doing a leader check, and at the end of his movement he could then do the LB to try to advance to the next section...

Hope I made myself clear... I know I tend to over-explain and sometimes cause confusion...

Thanks for your time


Greenskid wrote:
Hi

the FAQ is wrong unfortunately.
You are right in that you always have to use all available movement points.
So you enter the braking section, start lapping using movement points, resolve the leader checks as required.
When you are left with zero movement points (eventually because you failed a leader check) you can attempt a late brake if you wish.

I will have to correct the FAQ. I am sick in bed at the moment (influenza) and I would appreciate if you could report my reply on BGG.

ciao
Alessandro


Muse23PT wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

One last thing, if you fail the Leader Check you can do the Late Break?

I was inclined to think that you couldn't, would make more thematic sense meaning that for example the Leader lost momentum and Speed when he wasn't able to pass the slower car and therefor he lost his window to do the LB...

If he can this can lead to some exploits like the leader failing the Check on purpose to save cards, putting a card with a high number in his player board so future leader checks are easier and then try the Late Break and avoid spending more cards to do the rest of the leader checks, and depending on which corner it is maybe do the LB with a good amount of certainty.

I will hold on posing your reply until you can clarify this point

Once again, Thanks and hope you get well soon



Greenskid wrote:


Yes. If you fail the leader check you can attempt a late brake (again FAQ is wrong in this case).
I agree that thematically it would make more sense not to and that a leader may be better off trying a blind check. Your arguments make sense.
However we tried to avoid further exceptions to the rules. And the rules are that you must use all your movement points. Always. And also that you can attempt an LB when you have no more movement points.

hope this helps
Alessandro


So, in short, the FAQ is wrong...

When you enter a Braking Section you have to first spend all your movement points and after all of them are spent, either from actually using them or by failing a Leader Lapping Check that causes you to lose all your remaining MP, the Driver can choose to do a LB if he wants

Cheers
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alberto Bernal
Spain
Seville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Muse23PT wrote:
After talking to Alessandro regarding the entry in the FAQ on page 6:

"If the Leader fails a Leader check in a braking section for lapping another car, can he attempt a Late Braking?

No. A Late Braking must be declared immediately when entering the braking section. You cannot start lapping in the section and
then depending on the outcome to roll back and declare a Late Braking."

Muse23PT wrote:
Hi Alessandro,

got a question that I thought was already replied to but I can't find it anywhere :s

If the Leader reaches a Braking Section and there are 3 about to be lapped cars there and he has still 2 MP does he:

- Have to spend all his MP to pass the cars he can doing a Leader Check for each car, in this case he would try to pass the last car and do a Leader check... if successful he would do it again to spend his last MP and
If successful he would still have 1 car in front of him...

Can he at this point do a LB to be able to pass the last car and if successful move to the next section?

I was under the impression that the Player always has to spend all his MP when possible, he can't just choose to not spend them to avoid checks, like leader checks...

But then in the FAQ this is written:

"Q: If the Leader fails a Leader check in a braking section for lapping another car, can he attempt a Late Braking?

A: No. A Late Braking must be declared immediately when entering the braking section. You cannot start lapping in the section and
then depending on the outcome to roll back and declare a Late Braking."

Isn't the player Required to spend all his movement points before declaring the LB? Isn't he obligated to spend those points to try to lap the slower cars and do the Leader Checks?

I always thought that he had to do it... if so he can't make the choice to do a LB immediately when he enters the breaking section right?

I thought that he had to spend the MP, and one of 2 things happens:

- He's successful in all the Leader Checks he has to do and is able to spend all his MP and at that point he can decide if he wants to do a LB

- He's not successful in one of the Leader Checks he was doing and therefor his turn is over and he can't at this point do a LB because he failed one of the Leader Checks meaning he wasn't able to pass one of the slower cars and has no time to do the LB at that point

The same questions could be asked when it's the first, last or restart turn of the game, or if the player was using Banging Wheels but here it wouldn't matter much because the player will always be able to pass the other drivers because he's not doing a leader check, and at the end of his movement he could then do the LB to try to advance to the next section...

Hope I made myself clear... I know I tend to over-explain and sometimes cause confusion...

Thanks for your time


Greenskid wrote:
Hi

the FAQ is wrong unfortunately.
You are right in that you always have to use all available movement points.
So you enter the braking section, start lapping using movement points, resolve the leader checks as required.
When you are left with zero movement points (eventually because you failed a leader check) you can attempt a late brake if you wish.

I will have to correct the FAQ. I am sick in bed at the moment (influenza) and I would appreciate if you could report my reply on BGG.

ciao
Alessandro


Muse23PT wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

One last thing, if you fail the Leader Check you can do the Late Break?

I was inclined to think that you couldn't, would make more thematic sense meaning that for example the Leader lost momentum and Speed when he wasn't able to pass the slower car and therefor he lost his window to do the LB...

If he can this can lead to some exploits like the leader failing the Check on purpose to save cards, putting a card with a high number in his player board so future leader checks are easier and then try the Late Break and avoid spending more cards to do the rest of the leader checks, and depending on which corner it is maybe do the LB with a good amount of certainty.

I will hold on posing your reply until you can clarify this point

Once again, Thanks and hope you get well soon



Greenskid wrote:


Yes. If you fail the leader check you can attempt a late brake (again FAQ is wrong in this case).
I agree that thematically it would make more sense not to and that a leader may be better off trying a blind check. Your arguments make sense.
However we tried to avoid further exceptions to the rules. And the rules are that you must use all your movement points. Always. And also that you can attempt an LB when you have no more movement points.

hope this helps
Alessandro


So, in short, the FAQ is wrong...

When you enter a Braking Section you have to first spend all your movement points and after all of them are spent, either from actually using them or by failing a Leader Lapping Check that causes you to lose all your remaining MP, the Driver can choose to do a LB if he wants

Cheers


But it is correct only for a banging wheels strategy. If you don't have banging wheels, you can't spend any MP on a breaking section. You only can attempt a LB
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paulo Renato
Portugal
Vila Nova Gaia
Porto
flag msg tools
I run through Rahdo's Runthroughs and make right what once went wrong (via annotations)
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Or when you are lapping other cars
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.