mbmbmbmbmb
card pool: Through Order & Chaos
event: Store Championship
players: 22
location/store: Tabletop Shop
city: Newington, Connecticut
date: February 28, 2015
winner: Cal Neuvost

"Drugs" - Newington, Conn., Store Championship (45 cards)
MaxX: Maximum Punk Rock
- Event (33 cards)
3 Account Siphon ****
3 Day Job
3 Dirty Laundry
3 Déjà Vu
3 Forked
3 I've Had Worse
3 Knifed
1 Levy AR Lab Access ***
2 Retrieval Run
3 Spooned
3 Sure Gamble
3 Wanton Destruction
- Program (9 cards)
2 D4v1d
3 Eater
2 Mimic
2 Parasite
- Resource (3 cards)
3 Same Old Thing

"Mooncast" - Newington, Conn., Store Championship (49 cards)
Near-Earth Hub: Broadcast Center
- Agenda (11 cards)
3 AstroScript Pilot Program
2 Breaking News
3 NAPD Contract
3 Project Beale
- Asset (8 cards)
3 Jackson Howard
3 PAD Campaign
2 Snare! **
- ICE (15 cards)
3 Data Raven
1 Eli 1.0 *
1 Enigma
3 Pop-up Window
2 Quandary
1 Tollbooth
1 Troll
1 Wall of Static
2 Wraparound
- Operation (12 cards)
3 Hedge Fund
3 Scorched Earth ****
3 SEA Source
3 Sweeps Week
- Upgrade (3 cards)
3 SanSan City Grid

This was a great event! Thanks to Gabe for putting us up. Thanks to Twitch and Mungo for the rides and company. Thanks to El-ad and Zeromus for being great traveling buddies. Thanks to the great competitors, including Ally, Danny, Carl, Kenny, and Peter, who was repping Rhode Island, and all the rest.

Would there be intrest in write up of the event? Any questions about the decks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Witzany
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neuvost wrote:

Would there be intrest (sic) in write up of the event? Any questions about the decks?

Yes, please. What sort of opposition did these decks face? Any Professors? Project Junebugs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats. Wish I could have made it. The snow tipped my decision to just wait for another championship. I'd like some recaps/thoughts from the event if you got the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Witte
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cal, would love to read about the tournament.

Congrats on your win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cal Neuvost
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool, I'll do that then!

After Twitch was kind enough to pick us up at the Metro North station, the first thing that struck me about the store was how much space they had! (Can you tell I don't get out of the city much?)

While Chris and El-ad were stuck playing each other first round, I had the pleasure of playing Peter from Rhode Island. He was playing Nisei and landed a very early double-protected Edge of World on me for two brain damage, which was not something I was expecting. I was limited, but able to start getting out the Siphons and Peter was never able to open up a scoring window. He was, however, able to read my mind like nobody's business. I Wantoned a Future Perfect into the trash, but it took me at least a dozen tries to get it. Maybe I never got it ... Maybe I just managed to find other agendas. His Kit got Scorched pretty quickly.

I played Kenny round two. I was worried about facing his Valencia, as I don't know the matchup, but she never got much of a chance to get started before the SEA Source was a sure thing. I'm afraid I don't remember how MaxX went here.

I had played Carl B. almost a year ago at Boston Regionals, and really enjoyed our games. He brought his Argus to the first table (again, not a matchup I know well, but Carl's build is pretty unique anyway), but unfortunatly he mulliganed into a lot of agendas and no ice. I quickly saw a Punitive Counterstrike and it wasn't hard to only run when he was broke because he couldn't defend HQ from my Siphons. I won by checking the Government Takeover he had put out naked on turn one in hopes of the desperation Punitive. My NBN Scorched him right quick though. Both games didn't take more than twenty minutes so we played some casuals and hung out. It was a very unlucky round for Carl, who would go on not to lose again in Swiss.

Round four I played Ally Y., perhaps the friendliest person at the event (and that's saying something!). She was playing NBN and Andy and had only dropped one game so far. My heart sank when she installed a turn-one Plascrete Carapace. Between a nice full hand and an economy that was never lacking, I had to abandon any hopes of killing her outright. Ally told me this was only her third Netrunner tourney, but her background in Magic served her extremely well. She often had to read cards (but never more than once!), but had her engine of double-datasuckers, Desperado, and Security Testing set up very quickly, and all her plays were incredibly efficient. I was able to start a bit of fast advance, but she trashed my SanSans and Jacksons quickly. She put a lot of pressure on RnD, but never tried HQ. I desperately tried to draw into my Astros and didn't succeed in doing anything other than flooding my hand with Beales and NAPDs I couldn't really protect. She Legworked me for the win.

MaxX was jacked up turn the tables on Ally's own NBN, but I had to stop quickly when I saw that she too was running Scorched and Snare! I stuck to tag-me anyway, keeping one or two I've Had Worses in hand depending on her economic situation (Deja Vuing for I've Had Worse while playing tag-me is good stuff). MaxX sprinted in and took her stuff. Great games. It turned out we were running the exact same influence suite in our NBN decks of three Scorched, two Snare!, and an Eli.

In the last round of Swiss I was just trying to relax and remind myself that I had already made it into the top eight. That helped me not get frustrated when Mungo's fast-advance NBN took care of business pretty quickly. He was running two copies of Crisium Grid, which is a pretty hard counter to my MaxX. Without Siphon, my econ couldn't take off, and I couldn't get parasites or silverware out fast enough to clear the way and trash the Crisium Grid. I fast-advanced him right back when I drew into econ, Astro, and SanSan. I played carefully against Mungo's Leela, double icing where necessary, and won pretty quick.

I finished Swiss eight and two, second in the standings only to Carl B.

Sorry I don't remember your name, first round opponent! You should have won! I wasn't able to get money or ice going, and you whipped out a surprise Medium that started going super deep into RnD. Luckily for me, you mostly saw all that ice and econ that I hadn't gotten in my opening hand and one Astro. What should have been a five minute loss was instead a long, drag out game. I managed to score out three points, and when we were getting to time you knew you had to get in and score something rather than just lose three points to two. You ended up just taking a tag from Data Raven on a mad dash into RnD that did not yield the five points you would have needed to not get Scorched in my after-the-clock response turn. I got flatline number four and continued through the winner's bracket.

I played Danny next round, who'd beaten Carl in the round before. Danny was running NBN fast-advance against my MaxX, and even had Crisium Grid, but fearing the Keyhole, he put it on RnD. I trashed every SanSan I saw and while it wasn't a quick game, it was one who's pace I controlled almost the entire time.

I proceded to winner's finals to play Mungo again. We had each played one game as the Corp and one as the Runner. We decided the high roller on a D6 would choose (to play corp, obviously). We tied rolls three times in a row before I won. Thank fuck. I did not want to play that NBN again. He would have known exactly what to do. I don't remember much about my NBN against his Leela, but I pulled it out. Thanks so much for the great games, Mungo. Those die rolls could'a gone either way!

I now had to relax for a while while the bracket-of-alternate-success played out. (What would MaxX do? Join the smokers outside and re-up my stims.) Mungo ended up losing his next game and placed fifth. Chris H. took out Ally Y. when they ended up playing in both the winners and losers brackets. She came in fourth out of 22 at her third Netrunner tourney! I'm terrified how good she's going to be when she knows the whole cardpool. Danny beat Chris's Industrial Genomics, and came back to play me again.

Danny would get to play corp in our first game and my luck/control was not nearly as good as in our first matchup. After I went to my Day Job turn one, he put Crisium Grids on both RnD and HQ turn two. He fast-advanced to victory quickly, but I had one more game. I wish I could say this was one for the ages, but I drew into Astro, SanSan, and a little economy, so I didn't worry too much about trying to Scorch him and just scored. My tourney jitters were in full force and I was visibly shaking. Danny's MaxX was an interesting beast, including one-ofs of all kinds of things (like Force of Nature!), but was a little too set-up oriented to speed through my fast-advance. I tried to give the game away by scoring out a Beale instead of a Breaking News when I was at four points and had two Beales in hand. Danny stole that Breaking News, but he was on his toes from recently realizing there were Snares and Scorches in the deck and I bluffed out a Beale for the win.

Thanks again to everyone! Thanks to Gabe for putting us up! Thanks to Twitch and Mungo for the rides. Thanks to El-ad and Zeromus for being great traveling buddies. Thanks to the great competitors! Thanks to the store!

Thoughts on how I plan to change my decks going forward:

With Clot coming out, I'd like to keep playing NBN, but rely less on fast-advance and more on flatlining. I've decided to take out one SEA Source and three SanSans for two Daily Business Shows and two Marked Accounts. Slightly less taxing, but more likely to allow me to do what I want to do, when I want to do it. I love NBN, and I don't think I'm going anywhere.

I'm very happy to see that my style of consistent three-ofs in MaxX is working in addition to all the crazy MaxX decks out there that include tons of one-ofs. While I'm very tempted to find room for Keyhole, I like that my HQ assault of Siphon and Wonton worked so well, and I want to keep making it work. I'll let everyone else practice Keyhole MaxX and get the kinks out while I do my own, slightly different thing.

My inclusion of Parasites did not pay off as well as I'd hoped. Sometimes it was exactly what I needed for a troublesome Quandary, but without Datasucker, Parasite's just too slow on most ice.

My economy was not strong enough when I wasn't able to Siphon consistently. I only have the nine other econ cards (Day Job, Sure Gamble, Dirty Laundry), but I'm not really sure what else to do. I wanna keep playing tag-me, so I don't want resource-based econ. I decided to just add more draw instead with Inject. I took out both Parasites and one copy of Forked (the Sentry one) for three Injects. Hopefully this will help me find both my silverware and econ. I might hafta make it two Injects and go up to three Retrieval Runs. I considered going to Vigil instead, but that feels like too much set-up for MaxX. It'll suck to not have Eater or Retrieval Run in my opening hand and therefore not want to use Inject, but, I'm looking forward to testing.

Thanks for reading! Any questions, comments, or thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.