Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I've been excited about playing this game for a while. I finally got my family into it the other day. Everyone enjoyed themselves, but afterward, my wife complained about a lack of player interaction. (The good news is that my kids loved it.)

But the wife is important, right? She claimed there was more player interaction in Settlers than in PG.

Now, we only played the First Step, per the suggestion in the rules. We had some auction interaction, but not much. A litle bit of interaction in the resource market once my wife and I both fired up garbage plants.

I'd like to know people's opinion on this. Is there more interaction once we play Step 2 and 3?

Any other observations?

Much obliged, H.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which map did you play on? I would have thought there'd be some map interaction with 4 players. Step 2 and 3 do make it interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Walker
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you remember to exclude areas of the game board based on the number of players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Power Grid actually has really good interaction. Everything you do - buying plants, buying resources, building to cities - directly affects the other players, at least by limiting their options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd agree with all the previous three commentors. Only playing step one can drastically reduce the interaction though (especially if you have forgotten to exclude a few areas from play). Once you hit step two and three interaction in cities will start occurring.

You also get some quite interesting interaction in bidding for power plants and buying fuel too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Harkes
Netherlands
Voorburg
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think misinterpretation of the rules are an issue here. Yes it is true that in later Steps other players are in your way, and resources are running out.

But I think the issue here is that SoC is partly a negotiation game, which requires you to communicate with others to get the resources you want. In PG your level of communication is generally lower.

If your wife really want's more player interaction/communication try Lifeboats devil

PS. No, obviously I am not serious about Rette.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zippy grey wedge owner
Malaysia
Putrajaya
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga, what is your benchmark? A game with lots of interaction that I know is Traders of Genoa. A game with absolutely minimal interaction [that I know] is Reef Encounter. I'd say PG falls somewhere in between, as illustrated by dipdragon [author of the excellent http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/132846]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Cheung
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This also really depends on what you mean by player interaction. Power Grid generally doesn't encourage deal-making, and there is no direct trading. However, it is as far from multi-player solitaire as things get. Everything you do affects the other players in pretty substantial ways - anything you buy is something other players cannot get. I guess maybe that's why there's not so much negotiation in PG - since other players, far from helping you out, really only exist as evil people stealing your resources/power plants/cities, everyone gets into a competitive, energy monopoly frame of mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Grundy
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm. Absolutely, direct player interaction is very limited in Power Grid, and is the crux of Settlers, so yes your missus is correct... low peer engagement in Power Grid.

A few people have noted that players are in each others way more as the map fills up in steps 2 and 3, and then there's the "competition" for resources. But for many players this isn't players interacting, this is each player interacting with the dynamic system. It will never feel like player interaction for folks like us.

PG is competitive, and not multiplayer solitaire since so much of what you do does change the system state for other players. But most of the moves (honestly) if you're trying to bring down another player explicitly you hurt yourself about just as much.

Somebody mentioned Traders of Genoa for high high level direct player interaction. Yes, absolutely... if you're skills are refined through Settlers and you don't mind the game length, you'll do well with ToG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hun Yang Ng
Singapore
flag msg tools
I find there's low player interaction too, primarily because there's no trading! But as noted, it's far from a multi-player solitaire because every action has impact on subsequent decisions.

The player interaction comes when there's analysis paralysis. Offer suggestions what to do. Mess up your opponent's thinking!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure the rules allow you to trade money, if you're really wanting to make a deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, great comments! Thanks everyone!

We played by the rules, and used four areas for four players using the map of Germany. In the end we all had 7 citiies and there was some "conflict" in the last two turns: "HEY, I was going to go to that city!"

Has anyone come up with variants that would allow for more interaction? The first thing that comes to mind is resource trading between players. E.g. I could buy coal since I can get it cheap even though I don't have coal plants, knowing I could make a profit by selling it or trading it with another player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:
Has anyone come up with variants that would allow for more interaction? The first thing that comes to mind is resource trading between players. E.g. I could buy coal since I can get it cheap even though I don't have coal plants, knowing I could make a profit by selling it or trading it with another player.

I'd suggest playing the full game a few times first, you may find you don't havea any need for variations once you have the complete game under your belt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. You can't judge Power Grid by having on ly played Step One. ALL the competition and game development occur in the latter 2 thirds when resources become scarse and the need to increase capacity rather than cities raises the interaction and tactics considerable.

CHRIS

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
Playing only step 1 in Power Grid is really more equivalent to playing standard Settlers of Catan to 4 points than playing a full game of Settlers. Try doing that, and see whether your wife still thinks the game has enough interaction for her tastes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Travis. We're going to give it a go this weekend. I also picked up the France/Italy map today.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Update
So my family and I played Power Grid through to the the end. My youngest daughter (12) and I had a great time (she won) mainly, I thiink, because we figured out the balancing strategy.

My eldest daughter (14) avoided the resource market by investing in green power, but the cost of doing so prevented her from ultimately having 3 power plants that could power up enough cities, and she had to compete in the resource market at the very end.

My wife decided that while the game was interesting, it was "too much llike real life" to be enjoyable. (!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LC
United States
Florissant
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yea I can see why. Unlike SoC, PG is fiercly competitive. Every move you make in PG directly impacts everyone else and vice versa. PG is a zero sum game i.e. if player A takes a larger piece of the pie, then the pie is smaller for everyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.