Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how are these different?

Barbarossa

and
Cluzzle

I have Barbarossa. I don't think I need Cluzzle.

Anyone disagree? Why?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was wondering that myself when I saw Cluzzle up on Tanga.com. (My first thought: "Ah! The mass-market rip-off of Barbarossa!")

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmbmb
Disclaimer: the designer of Cluzzle is a friend of mine.

I think the two games are quite different--not much more similar than any two games which share a main mechanism in common. The best analogy I can think of is that Cluzzle is to barbarossa as Sleuth (or Black Vienna) is to Clue. Both Cluzzle and Babarossa involve making clay models, true, but Cluzzle distills what is fun out of Barbarossa--the modeling, the guessing--and removes everything that, in my opinion, made Barbarossa bog down--the movement on the board, the structure of the guesses and clues, etc. The rules of Cluzzle seem simple, but they are not nearly so simple that you could easily just dispense with the board and play "cluzzle" with a Barbarossa set. I never enjoyed Barbarossa much-- I found it a bit fiddly. I enjoy Cluzzle much more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Disclaimer: I once danced in goatskin pants around a fire of alder wood, as Dominic was burned in effigy.

Cluzzle is what Barbarossa would be if you took out all the bad, mid-90's boring Euro mechanics and kept the fun parts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salt-Man Z wrote:
Yeah, I was wondering that myself when I saw Cluzzle up on Tanga.com. (My first thought: "Ah! The mass-market rip-off of Barbarossa!")

http://boredgamegeeks.blogspot.com/2006/09/ip-morality-and-g... might be worth a read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Ironhat
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm,

I appreciate the feedback but I didn't find it very helpful.

What are the boring Euro parts to Barbarossa please?

Two of you said that Cluzzle is more fun to play. How so, or what about Barbarossa is the not so fun part?

If you don't mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Myers
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, the fun part of Barbarossa is sculpting the riddles and trying to guess what they are. The rest of the game is there to keep you from doing just that, by forcing you to roll-and-move around a track, trying to land on the right space to get the action you want. It's a lot of unnecessary clutter that bogs down a really ingenius core mechanism.

Cluzzle takes that ingenius core mechanic of sculpting riddles and trying to guess them and adds just enough game to give it structure, while totally supporting the fun.

If your group likes mediocre roll-and-move games, stick with Barbarossa, but if they find the real fun lies in the sculpting and guessing, go for Cluzzle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Ironhat
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.