Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Introduction » New User Questions

Subject: Any way to block "explicit" ads? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm certainly not a new user; in fact, I've been around here for 10 years or so. But something has been bothering me for years, and I've decided to finally ask. I am a BGG contributor, and personally I do not mind the ads, at least not the board game related ones. I've actually been introduced to a few games because of ads, so I would say I prefer to have them, even.

But one reason I love board gaming, more than, say, video gaming, is the greater capacity to have innocent, non-"gritty" fun with a variety of people. Guess what, I don't need sex to sell me on board gaming, and neither does my wife or anyone I personally know.

Anyways, is there any possible way to limit or outright stop the scantily clad women from appearing on the side of my screen? Really, that just is not why I go to BGG. If anything, it's to get away from that for a bit. Lord knows explicit/tasteless content has completely infiltrated most my other hobbies (videogames, movies, etc...). I guess my LEGO hobby is mostly safe, for now.whistle

I believe "NSFW Allet", or something like that, is one of the biggest offenders. It's incredibly gaudy and in poor taste, if not explicit. And the new advertisement for "Hitman Holiday" isn't much better. Every time I think of pointing my wife to this site, the poor taste in certain advertisements makes me change my mind. It's so frustrating.

To be clear, I am for the advertising. I want BGG to turn a profit, and I enjoy ads for games I've not heard of. But let's keep it classy, if we've any interest in spreading our beloved hobby to friends and loved ones.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never used it, but there is adblock.

It's at the top of your profile page. I think that it's free if you've donated a certain amount (don't know what that amount is), otherwise you need to pay to enable it.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Greensboro
NC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Become a BGG patron.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Geekmail Chaddyboy_2000 with the description of any inappropriate ads and the link that it leads to. These ads usually come to us through Google Adsense, and Chad can use that information to block them from appearing on BGG.

Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
july mjj
Philippines
Cebu City
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
always clear your cookies or use Incognito mode in google chrome. Adsense "remembers" user's surfing behavior and thus will show ads that they think will interest them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tompkins
United States
Stromsburg
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Scripture Alone, Grace Alone, Faith Alone, Christ Alone, To God Alone be Glory!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They bother me too and I share all your frustrations. On the google ones you can click the "X" and say you don't want to see this and say it is sexually explicit or inappropriate, I can't remember which. Google remembers that and it should improve your ads.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shichigatsu wrote:
always clear your cookies or use Incognito mode in google chrome. Adsense "remembers" user's surfing behavior and thus will show ads that they think will interest them.


Yeah, Google ads are entirely driven by what you browse on the internet. So if you are seeing scantily clad women in ads, it's likely because you visit those sites regularly enough for them to come up as ads for you.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
shichigatsu wrote:
always clear your cookies or use Incognito mode in google chrome. Adsense "remembers" user's surfing behavior and thus will show ads that they think will interest them.


Yeah, Google ads are entirely driven by what you browse on the internet. So if you are seeing scantily clad women in ads, it's likely because you visit those sites regularly enough for them to come up as ads for you.


That's even more frustrating, if true. I try to limit my time on what used to be some of my favorite sites (ign, for example), because I'm sure they're more interested in sex appeal than Zelda or Mario Kart, these days. It's quite likely what is making some of those ads pop up on BGG. I guess it stands out to me more on BGG because I've literally no interest in board games with "adult content", while I've come to accept that most popular non-nintendo published games these days are mature rated.

Instead of outright blocking ads (I've discovered several small games I love thanks to ads), I'll try cutting ties with gaming/movie sites that promote things I shouldn't want promoted in the first place. BGG is about the only website I "couldn't live without," anyways. Besides google, of course.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susan F.
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
shichigatsu wrote:
always clear your cookies or use Incognito mode in google chrome. Adsense "remembers" user's surfing behavior and thus will show ads that they think will interest them.


Yeah, Google ads are entirely driven by what you browse on the internet. So if you are seeing scantily clad women in ads, it's likely because you visit those sites regularly enough for them to come up as ads for you.


Not necessarily. As a heterosexual female, I can promise you I'm not scouring the internet for pictures of scantily clad women - yet I see them in the ads on BGG on a fairly regular basis.

I do, however, visit a lot of boardgame-related websites. These ads have obviously been calibrated to show up for "gamer" not just for "likes to look at scantily clad women" (likely not recognizing that the two are not synonymous).
21 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rusty567 wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
shichigatsu wrote:
always clear your cookies or use Incognito mode in google chrome. Adsense "remembers" user's surfing behavior and thus will show ads that they think will interest them.


Yeah, Google ads are entirely driven by what you browse on the internet. So if you are seeing scantily clad women in ads, it's likely because you visit those sites regularly enough for them to come up as ads for you.


Not necessarily. As a heterosexual female, I can promise you I'm not scouring the internet for pictures of scantily clad women - yet I see them in the ads on BGG on a fairly regular basis.

I do, however, visit a lot of boardgame-related websites. These ads have obviously been calibrated to show up for "gamer" not just for "likes to look at scantily clad women" (likely not recognizing that the two are not synonymous).
I'll second this - also a female gamer, and about the only sites I visit are game sites and recipe/cooking sites. I use adblock primarily because I don't want to see scantily clad women.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cringing Dragon wrote:
Rusty567 wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
shichigatsu wrote:
always clear your cookies or use Incognito mode in google chrome. Adsense "remembers" user's surfing behavior and thus will show ads that they think will interest them.


Yeah, Google ads are entirely driven by what you browse on the internet. So if you are seeing scantily clad women in ads, it's likely because you visit those sites regularly enough for them to come up as ads for you.


Not necessarily. As a heterosexual female, I can promise you I'm not scouring the internet for pictures of scantily clad women - yet I see them in the ads on BGG on a fairly regular basis.

I do, however, visit a lot of boardgame-related websites. These ads have obviously been calibrated to show up for "gamer" not just for "likes to look at scantily clad women" (likely not recognizing that the two are not synonymous).
I'll second this - also a female gamer, and about the only sites I visit are game sites and recipe/cooking sites. I use adblock primarily because I don't want to see scantily clad women.


Not questioning you at all, and I definitely believe there are issues with these ads, but I worked on a recipe/cooking website for several years. And man, the forums there were filled with more sex talk than RSP ten times over. They even posed this exact question (sex-themed ads being served) and we had to explain to them that if they stop talking about sex on the website, those particular ads will no longer show up.

Why they were talking about sex on a recipe website, and why said recipe website allowed it are two completely different stories, of course.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
Cringing Dragon wrote:
Rusty567 wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
shichigatsu wrote:
always clear your cookies or use Incognito mode in google chrome. Adsense "remembers" user's surfing behavior and thus will show ads that they think will interest them.


Yeah, Google ads are entirely driven by what you browse on the internet. So if you are seeing scantily clad women in ads, it's likely because you visit those sites regularly enough for them to come up as ads for you.


Not necessarily. As a heterosexual female, I can promise you I'm not scouring the internet for pictures of scantily clad women - yet I see them in the ads on BGG on a fairly regular basis.

I do, however, visit a lot of boardgame-related websites. These ads have obviously been calibrated to show up for "gamer" not just for "likes to look at scantily clad women" (likely not recognizing that the two are not synonymous).
I'll second this - also a female gamer, and about the only sites I visit are game sites and recipe/cooking sites. I use adblock primarily because I don't want to see scantily clad women.


Not questioning you at all, and I definitely believe there are issues with these ads, but I worked on a recipe/cooking website for several years. And man, the forums there were filled with more sex talk than RSP ten times over. They even posed this exact question (sex-themed ads being served) and we had to explain to them that if they stop talking about sex on the website, those particular ads will no longer show up.

Why they were talking about sex on a recipe website, and why said recipe website allowed it are two completely different stories, of course.
fair enough. I just look for recipes, never chat. BGG's the only place I actually participate.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Franklin
United States
Vale
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess this all boils down to "google ads" thinking it knows why we browse certain sites, but not being correct in many cases. Just as I am far removed from modern video gaming culture, but still like to catch up on the latest Nintendo news, some people like looking up recipes, but aren't into the sexy time chat that is apparently customary on recipe websites...blushsurprise
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AdBlock is excellent.

And donate to BGG if you want to - I'm sure they lose money as more and more people are using AdBlock these days.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cringing Dragon wrote:
Rusty567 wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
shichigatsu wrote:
always clear your cookies or use Incognito mode in google chrome. Adsense "remembers" user's surfing behavior and thus will show ads that they think will interest them.


Yeah, Google ads are entirely driven by what you browse on the internet. So if you are seeing scantily clad women in ads, it's likely because you visit those sites regularly enough for them to come up as ads for you.


Not necessarily. As a heterosexual female, I can promise you I'm not scouring the internet for pictures of scantily clad women - yet I see them in the ads on BGG on a fairly regular basis.

I do, however, visit a lot of boardgame-related websites. These ads have obviously been calibrated to show up for "gamer" not just for "likes to look at scantily clad women" (likely not recognizing that the two are not synonymous).
I'll second this - also a female gamer, and about the only sites I visit are game sites and recipe/cooking sites. I use adblock primarily because I don't want to see scantily clad women.


It's one of those common misconceptions.. that the ads are based on the sites you visit. If that were true, then I guess BGG counts as a site that the cookies say wants near soft porn material. I visit very few sites, and none of them have anything to do with half naked women, lingerie, swimsuits, etc, etc.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MilesF wrote:
Cringing Dragon wrote:
Rusty567 wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
shichigatsu wrote:
always clear your cookies or use Incognito mode in google chrome. Adsense "remembers" user's surfing behavior and thus will show ads that they think will interest them.


Yeah, Google ads are entirely driven by what you browse on the internet. So if you are seeing scantily clad women in ads, it's likely because you visit those sites regularly enough for them to come up as ads for you.


Not necessarily. As a heterosexual female, I can promise you I'm not scouring the internet for pictures of scantily clad women - yet I see them in the ads on BGG on a fairly regular basis.

I do, however, visit a lot of boardgame-related websites. These ads have obviously been calibrated to show up for "gamer" not just for "likes to look at scantily clad women" (likely not recognizing that the two are not synonymous).
I'll second this - also a female gamer, and about the only sites I visit are game sites and recipe/cooking sites. I use adblock primarily because I don't want to see scantily clad women.


It's one of those common misconceptions.. that the ads are based on the sites you visit. If that were true, then I guess BGG counts as a site that the cookies say wants near soft porn material. I visit very few sites, and none of them have anything to do with half naked women, lingerie, swimsuits, etc, etc.


they are . . .

maybe not all of them, but a lot of them. and yeah, those GEEKY teeshirt ads and stupid videoGAMES trigger from being on boardGAMEGEEK.

I use adblock when not at work too. cause I don't want to look at poorly photoshopped/cgi scantily clad women
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.