Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
UPDATE (4 March 2015): Battlefront's CEO, John-Paul Brisigotti, has stated in an ENWorld thread on the same subject that this was a customer-service error rather than the company's actual policy, and it sounds as though Battlefront is responding to some customers who experienced similar issues. I haven't heard back from Battlefront about my own order so far, but will update here if I do.

UPDATE 2 (5 March 2015): Mr Brisigotti has contacted me directly to address matters: he says Battlefront will create a new pre-order on my behalf for the revised Arcane deck, shipping when it's available, so I should get all six revised decks as I originally ordered. See my original post, quoted below, for fuller details.

UPDATE 3 (15 May 2015): I just received an e-mail from Battlefront showing that all six of my updated decks have shipped today. That's a good sign: I'll update here again once they arrive and hopefully put this whole post to rest.

UPDATE 4 (19 May 2015): I got the updated "version 2" decks today: see my post in the "Updated versions" thread for details. Suffice it to say here that I'm very happy with the outcome and with the way that Battlefront have responded to my complaints. I'm changing this post's subject line to reflect the resolution of the problem.

trystero11 wrote:
I put in an order for all six Spellbook Cards decks -- which are labelled as Gale Force Nine products but sold directly by Battlefront -- through the Flames of War storefront on 8 February, asking them (via separate e-mail) to please fulfill with the revised and corrected printings, delaying shipment as necessary.

They replied to the e-mail request on 11 February to say...

Battlefront Support Desk wrote:
The next print is scheduled to arrive in late March or early April. You can expect email confirmations from us and UPS around that time frame.

We do apologize for the confusion.

Thank you,
Battlefront Miniatures

On the next day, the 12th, they shipped me the Arcane deck: it arrived four days later... and was the original uncorrected printing, which I already own. So I asked them how I should return it, on the 17th and again on the 20th after I'd received no reply. They responded on the 24th:

Unfortunately there is nothing in place to replace the original card sets. This was an error caused by Wizard of the Coast sending the wrong files to be printed. Should you need to seek compensation may I suggest contacting their customer service department?

Thank you,
Battlefront Miniatures

I replied the same day...

Douglas Bailey wrote:
I'm very confused by this reply: I understand that the corrected printings aren't available yet, and at this point I just want to return the first-printing box which you shipped me (despite my having e-mailed twice to ask for my order to be held until new printings are available).

How should I return this unwanted item?

Thanks,
Doug

...and they replied today:

Good day,

We are not accepting returns or exchanges for these cards. Please direct any further questions to Wizards of the Coast. This error is on their side.

Thank you,

Battlefront Miniatures USA

I'm very disappointed: I guess I'll wait and try to find the corrected printings at retailers, where I can confirm that they're the right versions, rather than ordering from the manufacturer. Mostly, though, I wanted to post to warn other buyers about Battlefront's unwillingness to accept returns or exchanges for the Spellbook Cards.

Time to go talk to the credit-card company...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Not accepting returns or exchanges for Spellbook Cards - caveat emptor
Wow - that is utter crap!

I already swore off trying to replace my 1st printings. I was not convinced it would go well and so didn't even bother. Hearing your story I am glad I made that choice.

I just wrote a capital C in permanent marker on all of the spells that require concentration and will make my own cards for the missing spells. Completely disappointing, but not the end of the world.

However, I now have serious reservations about anything they produce. What a screw-up and a poor poor precedent to set for that company. I like GF9 stuff and have purchased many things from them in the past, but if they are going to have issues like this and fulfillment with attitude by battlefront, I think I'll pass for now and in the immediate future. Too bad for them because I buy a ton of RPG accessories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
“I would have made this instrumental, but the words got in the way...” —XTC, “No Language in Our Lungs”
badge
“Self-discipline isn’t everything; look at Pol Pot.” —Helen Fielding, _Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason_
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying not to hold the whole company responsible for this customer-service incident: I will probably still buy the revised-printing cards when they become available, but I'll either get them locally, so that I can check the boxes before purchase, or else shop through CoolStuffInc or Miniature Market or some other vendor with a solid returns policy, just in case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlefront's CEO has stated in an ENWorld thread on the same subject that this was a customer-service error rather than the company's actual policy, and it sounds as though Battlefront is responding to some customers who experienced similar issues. I haven't heard back from Battlefront about my own order so far, but will update here if I do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well that's an interesting turn of events. I am looking forward to hearing how this gets resolved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlefront's CEO, John-Paul Brisigotti, contacted me personally to straighten matters out:
John-Paul Brisigotti wrote:
We will raise a new pre-order for you in the system for the new Arcane deck and ship it out when it comes in, in April.
Don’t bother sending the old one back...

That's better than a refund, since it means I should actually get the revised-printing Arcane deck -- which I want -- along with the other decks which were back-ordered. Hopefully that means a full set of all revised decks.

Having been the one to gripe about the initial handling of this issue, let me now say that I've been very impressed with how Mr Brisigotti has handled criticism and with the attention he's paid to his customers. (A couple of other posters in the ENWorld thread had similar issues with orders, and he's apparently gotten in touch with all of them.)

I'm also impressed on another count: a few vicarious onlookers on the ENWorld thread made spiteful remarks about how the Battlefront customer-service person in question should be fired, and I mentioned to Mr Brisigotti in my reply that I hoped this wouldn't happen. (I work in a customer-service role myself, so I have some understanding of how easy it is to give a wrong answer based on incomplete information, and while the refund is important to me, it's not so important that I think someone should lose their job over it.) He wrote back to say...

John-Paul Brisigotti wrote:
I am never worried when people bring up mistakes as with over a hundred and seventy staff making errors in judgement is just part of having such a big team.

No matter the scale of the error individuals can never take the blame for these things and although he is feeling foolish knowing his intentions were in the right place means this will be a learning experience for him.

I'm glad to see that his priorities are straight. Games are important, but people are more important.

We'll see how the pre-order gets resolved later this month or next month, with any luck: as things stand, though, I think Battlefront's willingness to go the extra mile is likely to more than make up for my initial frustration.

Here's hoping I can post again with a satisfactory conclusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tegan Harper
msg tools
Have you gotten the updated cards yet? I want to order them, but don't want the older cards, and the site doesn't say anything about new ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 703173. tegan1515
  • 1d20 =
  • (2) =
  • Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:28 am
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tegan1515 wrote:
Have you gotten the updated cards yet? I want to order them, but don't want the older cards, and the site doesn't say anything about new ones.

Not yet, but I'm hoping they arrive soon and I'll definitely post in this thread when I do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tegan Harper
msg tools
Thanks, please do that can't wait to eventually be able to get them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Bailey
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Latest update from Battlefront is that the shipping date has slipped a bit:

Battlefront wrote:
The D&D spell cards are on the way to the warehouse. Unfortunately our shipment was delayed. ETA is mid to late May. We will be shipping your orders out then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.