Subject: Poor Card Wording Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Clark
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not recall the name of the card in question. I want to think it may have been cure or pistol +1 maybe. It was in the base set. I went with my instinct based on several other cards, but still stuck in my craw.

Banish this card to use this power.
When displaying this card to use the power you may use Arcane/Divine check to see if you can recharge.

So if the card has already been banished in order to use the power, then how did I display it? I am guessing it was supposed to be displayed to use the power. But how am I to know which was truly intended? If I failed the check should it have been banished?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Warner
United States
Middletown
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IndyCC wrote:
I do not recall the name of the card in question. I want to think it may have been cure or pistol +1 maybe. It was in the base set. I went with my instinct based on several other cards, but still stuck in my craw.

Banish this card to use this power.
When displaying this card to use the power you may use Arcane/Divine check to see if you can recharge.

So if the card has already been banished in order to use the power, then how did I display it? I am guessing it was supposed to be displayed to use the power. But how am I to know which was truly intended? If I failed the check should it have been banished?

Hmmm.... I don't recall any card quite like that. It is definitely not Pistol +1. And I don't think it is cure either, unless Cure has two typos on it. If you can figure out which card it is, I'd be happy to check what my card says.

There are some spells (you can see Frostbite here) that is displayed to play, banished later if you don't have the right skill, then discarded or recharged depending on a check.

But I don't recall any card with the kind of mistake you are mentioning here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Clark
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I very much wish I could remember which card it was. But I can't. I am very familiar with Frostbite as we used it several times to get through our last few scenarios. This particular card did strike me as odd, especially having used Frostbite. But sure enough, that is how it read. It left me extremely puzzled. Even after I decided that it must have been an error and must be like Frostbite, I still felt like I cheated something, since I really don't know what the intent was.

OH!! I think remember the card now. Noxious Bomb. I'm sure that must be it. I was trying to think of all the things that said banish like potions and it clicked. I did banish it in the end because, well it's a bomb, sounds like it should only have one use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most (if not all) spells have text that is similar to what you're describing, but not quite. I'll paraphrase from memory:

Discard this card to (do whatever effect).
You may attempt an arcane/divine check (of whatever amount) to recharge this card instead of discarding it.
If you do not have the arcane or divine skills, banish this card.

That represents non-magic users finding a scroll or something that allows them to cast a spell once, but then it's gone for good. Magic users can add it to their spellbook permanently. Some spells specifically require arcane or divine, others can be used by either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IndyCC wrote:
I very much wish I could remember which card it was. But I can't. I am very familiar with Frostbite as we used it several times to get through our last few scenarios. This particular card did strike me as odd, especially having used Frostbite. But sure enough, that is how it read. It left me extremely puzzled. Even after I decided that it must have been an error and must be like Frostbite, I still felt like I cheated something, since I really don't know what the intent was.

OH!! I think remember the card now. Noxious Bomb. I'm sure that must be it. I was trying to think of all the things that said banish like potions and it clicked. I did banish it in the end because, well it's a bomb, sounds like it should only have one use.
n
Not if you're an alchemist! My cards aren't handy, but the text says you can discard another card to add your Craft die and it is the card that can have a recharge attempt. I'll dig the card out in a bit for the exact wording.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Clark
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lini had the card, it was one of her suggested starting cards. I'm fairly sure it was Noxious Bomb. Even if it wasn't that card specifically, I was confused lol.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If it was Noxious Bomb then you Banish the Bomb, but you can discard another card for extra effect, and can attempt to Recharge that, extra, card with Craft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.