BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Looking for feedback on our prototyping tool, Paperize rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Loren Norman
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Good Monday morning, folks! Oh look, it's afternoon... where did the morning go???

I wanted to share our new rapid prototyping and print-n-play project, "Paperize", with the community for feedback. We've been using it internally for a few months now, and we're ready to see if we can help other game designers with it!

You'll find a rough cut video at this link where I build out the hit game Love Letter using Paperize in about 10 minutes, including nice templates and custom images.

Paperize:
http://oilandrope.com/paperize

Interesting to anyone? Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Draper
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Being all online this will prove to be very handy to prototype cards. I like it. I will still use nandeck because of the size restrictions on cards (you can make any size in nandeck so tokens and such are still available). Uploading using a file would be nice. My nandeck my be old and it could already be there as well, so don't take my opinion for law. Nandeck allows code to do a lot of stuff so I will most likely try both for different reasons. The card template idea will really make things fast. Great Job!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Becker
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmb
It seems super nice!
I tried to hit http://oilandrope.com/paperize/prototypes just to see if I could and it asked for some Google permissions. So I opted not to sign in. But some integration with google sheets might be handy so I can update my sheet and not have to re-upload it would be cool.
And having more templates would obviously be nice. Specifically maybe a plain one with a clean layout like you have, but not strongly themed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Norman
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Thanks for the feedback and kudos! We are definitely planning to support tokens and other things as later features.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Norman
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Erluti wrote:
...it asked for some Google permissions. ...some integration with google sheets might be handy so I can update my sheet and not have to re-upload it would be cool.
And having more templates would obviously be nice. Specifically maybe a plain one with a clean layout like you have, but not strongly themed.

Yes and yes!

You may have noticed it wanted permission to access your Sheets, that's actually what we do internally but I wanted the demo to be clear that it wasn't tied to Sheets and any CSV will do.

We already have a "printer friendly" template as well, but I didn't show it off because... well, I guess I just wanted to go for wow factor and the video was already running long.

Thanks for the feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fonts?
Icons?
BG Template

Looks good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Cornejo
United States
Orange
Ca
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks pretty cool so far. One question; say you had a card that you wanted to provide a ranking twice on it (like the corners of a standard playing card, for example), could you assign a number using the locations on the card from the CSV twice? or would the CSV row be marked and unavailable to be assigned in two different locations?

I hope I explained that correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Norman
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Sebathius wrote:
Looks pretty cool so far. One question; say you had a card that you wanted to provide a ranking twice on it (like the corners of a standard playing card, for example), could you assign a number using the locations on the card from the CSV twice? or would the CSV row be marked and unavailable to be assigned in two different locations?

I hope I explained that correctly.

I understood you. That wouldn't work as the tool stands right now, but I'm putting that into our feature list because you're absolutely right. That's an obvious thing designers are going to want!

Someone else told me that the column mapping was exactly backwards: you should decide what data appears in each position, as opposed to which position each data appears at. (Hopefully I explained THAT correclty!) I think I agree with that, and it would fix this problem for you automatically.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hector Cornejo
United States
Orange
Ca
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, thanks for the quick response, Ill be keeping an eye on this to possibly use for playtest build Ive been working on forever lol.

Additionally, if you find you need someone to do some quick Photoshop work on the project, contact me here. I have an art folder that shows my work on both deviant art and facebook I can send you the link to in response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stijn Hommes
Netherlands
Dordrecht
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Erluti wrote:
It seems super nice!
I tried to hit http://oilandrope.com/paperize/prototypes just to see if I could and it asked for some Google permissions. So I opted not to sign in. But some integration with google sheets might be handy so I can update my sheet and not have to re-upload it would be cool.

Yes, I saw that too. Two permissions in particular seem worrisome.
-View and manage your spreadsheets in Google Drive
-View and manage any of your documents and files in Google Drive

Why would anyone need to manage files unrelated to the game being
paperized? Why not simply ask access to each file as it's needed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holyoak
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Designer Wannabe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aVoidGames wrote:
Fonts?
Icons?

Looks good

Exactly what I was going to say!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
Looks good, very similar to a personal tool I made.
For icons I made it recognize code similar to BGG, like : star : in the csv pulled from the stock star icon () in my database, the size adjusted to the selected card position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Barton
Canada
Dryden
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like a fantastic tool, and I am very much looking forward to trying it out.

A lot of the time, when I get an idea brewing, my artsy-sef gets all hung up on the card design and crap like that. This may help me stay on the game-design end of it for long enough to get from IDEA to PLAYABLE PROTOTYPE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Norman
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
anonymousmagic wrote:
Why would anyone need to manage files unrelated to the game being
paperized? Why not simply ask access to each file as it's needed?

This I totally understand! That's actually why we didn't show off that feature, we don't have it all buttoned up nicely. When I first got it working I was alarmed that I needed such heavy-handed permissions. It was fine for my private testing, but totally inappropriate for me to have that kind of access to all of my users. I haven't figured out how to narrow it, yet.

That said, you're exploring unexposed parts of my app, so I'm not terribly concerned about having them straightened up at present. Certainly I will get my room picked up before I invite guests over to play with my toys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Norman
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
BigDumbYak wrote:
...my artsy-sef gets all hung up on the card design and crap like that. This may help me stay on the game-design end of it for long enough to get from IDEA to PLAYABLE PROTOTYPE.

Yes! That is EXACTLY what we're hoping to achieve, I'm so glad you share the vision!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaap K
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I certainly would like to give this a try!

Is it just me, or is the text: "Sign up to be notified when the beta opens!" not clickable?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Norman
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Jk_W wrote:
Is it just me, or is the text: "Sign up to be notified when the beta opens!" not clickable?

Thank you for the feedback!

That's right, the next is not clickable. It refers to the form field next to it that is asking for your email address. Sorry if we failed you on the user interface there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jaap K
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lorennorman wrote:
Jk_W wrote:

Thank you for the feedback!

That's right, the next is not clickable. It refers to the form field next to it that is asking for your email address. Sorry if we failed you on the user interface there!

No problem. Thanks for making things clear now! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's only one countess in Love Letter.

It's not as powerful or flexible as nanDeck, but it also doesn't have the same learning curve, so that's probably fine.

The big thing I'd recommend is integrating with Google Drive so you can have users select a spreadsheet directly, rather than having to download and upload it for each iteration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Norman
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Asmor wrote:
It's not as powerful or flexible as nanDeck, but it also doesn't have the same learning curve, so that's probably fine.

That's right! The goal is to reduce the time game designers spend on common tasks and focus on what they SHOULD be doing, instead of offering a kitchen sink that can never become a streamlined product. Basically we want to get 20% of the features that cover 80% of the uses, and make it dead simple.

Asmor wrote:
The big thing I'd recommend is integrating with Google Drive so you can have users select a spreadsheet directly, rather than having to download and upload it for each iteration.

Absolutely, this works already but I didn't want to show it off because not everyone gets it. I'm very glad you do! The real killer feature IMHO is doing version control on your sheets over time so you can roll back to previous versions, or print "patches" between versions.

Asmor wrote:
There's only one countess in Love Letter.

Finally someone called me on it! blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I still use Magic Set Editor as a base for my Prototypes, yet this one seems interesting.

Will it be free? If not, how much will it cost?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Norman
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Castef wrote:
Will it be free? If not, how much will it cost?

We're not entirely sure but it will probably have free features and paid features.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cannon
msg tools
will there be any other printing styles? i mean like i use shipping lables(because i have blank cards) and it would be awesome to be able to print directly to those. its an avery shipping label

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Norman
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Cwcannon wrote:
will there be any other printing styles? i mean like i use shipping lables(because i have blank cards) and it would be awesome to be able to print directly to those. its an avery shipping label

Absolutely! The Avery sticky labels are a great hack for prototypers, exactly he sort of thing we're targeting with this tool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lorennorman wrote:
Cwcannon wrote:

Absolutely! The Avery sticky labels are a great hack for prototypers, exactly he sort of thing we're targeting with this tool.

Noow, this is getting more and more interesting...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.