The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tournament Zombie at "I'm Game"
This never looked like a game I'd like so I never read anything about it beforehand and you're getting a newbies untainted view. Mike held a Zombie Tournament game instead of our usual games night at the store and I always support games he likes as he's nailed more than a few that I've since bought. Unfortunatelly, this won't be one of them.
There were 5 of us that threw in our cash and were eager to start killing Zombies. The 1st thing several of us noticed was how flimsy the playing tiles were, no where near the quality of CARCASSONE. The game started out with the 1st 2 players getting to scoop up lots of goodies on a store tile while the other 3 headed down unrewarding streets. It was at this point we all noticed how slow the going was. Move on a 1D6, are you freaking kidding me? You gotta use 2D6 or X2 1D6 or something! Slow moving made this game nearly unbearable especially since your opponent can slow you down even further!
The next thing that sucked was the combat system, 4-6 on 1D6 to kill a Zombie. If you miss you can expend bullets at +1 per bullet or lose a life and roll again. Since the maximum lives you can ever have is five you can lose them in a hurry when out of bullets. Bullets = you start with 3 and if you're lucky you can find more inside stores - if you're lucky. There are cards that discard your bullets or weapon - just freaking great. You spend 14 turns getting to a special room to get a weapon with a card only to lose it to this other stupid card. They should have called this game "TORTURE BY ZOMBIES, The game".
At 1st the game seemed kind of fun and we all had a good laugh at the "screw-you" card playing. Yeah, that was fun the 1st dozen times then it became annoying and then finally irritating as hell. After I got killed, lost 2 of my 3 Zombie kills and started over at start I decided to switch strategies. The other players thought I had given up and was not playing to win but my strategy proved so effective that all 4 of them fought against me to stop me from winning. Instead of making straight for the Heliport to win I decided to play it like a Video Game and power-up enough to kill 25 Zombies for the win. The closest I got was 23 kills when the wave of cards took their toll on me. Any Zombies close to me had been moved far away and they took my weapon and bullets away. If that wasn't bad enough I also lost 8 Zombie kills to cardplay (you have to roll 4+ on 2 die or lose 2 Zombie kills). After 2 3/4 hours with nobody close to winning because of the enormous amount of Zombies blocking the Heliport, I became the 2nd player to pack it in and leave. I have no idea who won and don't really care, I was just happy to stop wasting my time any further. The mall already closed 40 minutes earlier and rain was threatening my motorcycle ride home. This was easily the worst game I played in 2006.

zombieJimzik's ideas for a better game

1st) Movement has to be increased. Use an 8-sided, 10-sided or 2D6
2nd) Don't limit Hearts to 5. Players get killed way too often and have to start over, many Heart "power-ups" are left because of being limited to 5.
3rd) Each player gets to hold only ONE card. You can play it, save it or discard it but you can only ever have one in your hand. This is also an easy way to tell if a players played his 1 card per turn rotation.
4th) Kills are on 3-6.

devil Jimzik

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Williams
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should go to the files page here and get the quicker play rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I agree wholeheartedly with all your negative points on this game. Your opinions and lack of interest towards the game mimic my feelings blow for blow.

I'm surprised that you even spent time thinking up an improvement. For me it was a severely broken game - and therefore I got rid. There are a wealth of 'Better Ideas' out there. Any one is an improvement over the original rules. But avoiding it in the first place is the Best Idea.

Rob.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wasp Factoryman
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Typical God, ladling torrents of righteous indignation from the bloated tureen of elephantine pomposity…tusk, tusk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
The quicker play rules only make it a bit quicker but not much better. Rather than trying to think of alternate rules perhaps there is an alternate use for the minis, which I do like. Colonists in Puerto Rico? Mold them in six different colors for Risk: the Undead edition? Ya know, Regular Zombies as single Infantry, Zombie Dogs as the fives and Zombie Babes as the tens, for Hell hath no fury like an undead woman scorned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.