Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will McKinnon
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently at work we started gaming during our lunch break once a week. We try and fit it in within the hour and for the most part we are successful. There are usually 4-5 of us and its not too hard to find a quick game. This was week four and so far I've introduced a new game to the gang each time. #1 was Citadels, #2 was San Juan, #3 was RA and today was Carcassonne.

My collection of tiles for Carc. includes the Inns and Cathedrals, Princess and the Dragon, Traders and Builders, King and Scout, and the Rivers 1 and 2. We played with all the tiles but not all the rules. Basically we played with the standard rules plus the builder and the pig. Maybe next time we'll play a few more rules when I don't have to explain so much. Generally speaking when I'm introducing people to a new game I don't play very aggressive and I give lots of advice around the table to keep everyone aware of the options they have. And today, for the most part, was no exception. For a "practice" game everyone got up to speed pretty quickly and before long we were humming through. Everyone was scoring points and it was pretty even for the the first half of the game. But then I drew some opportunistic tiles, lots of cloisters, 3 in a row and scored quickly. Then one of the cities that several of us were competing for continued to grow and grow and grow, until I ended up winning it and walking away with all the points. I guess I could have held back and just played my tiles off in stupid places, but man! that is so hard to do. And everyone was having fun trying to "horn" in to other player's terrritories and just enjoying the game so I played a normal game. Maybe slightly more reserved. When it came to the end game when everyone started looking for farms to cash in on, Steve had already capitalized early by staking his farming claim during the first third of the game. Maybe a little too much so, as he seemed to get sidetracked and obsessed with making his farm bigger, which did net him 20 points with his pig but he probably should have spent his time finishing some of the cities that it bordered.

Final score me-166, Steve and Trey-110 and Janice-85. From reaction and comments it would seem that this is the favorite of the games we have played so far. We'll see what they think after next week. Alhambra, or maybe Attika. And maybe I'll try harder to back off a little more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cramer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Will,

It's great to see that you are getting your co-workers into the gaming mix. We do the same at my work and are able to play every day. We've played the same games that you have listed plus others depending on the number of players we have for the day.

Here's a list of our lunch break game rotation:

Citadels
San Juan
Carcassonne
Ra
Guillotine
Loot
Buccaneer (I recommend this one)
Tsuro
Wyatt Earp
Bang
Carcassonne H&G
Naval Battles
Mag Blast 3rd Ed
Hera and Zeus 2-player
Jambo 2-player
Sabateur
For Sale
No Thanks
Corsari
Blue Moon 2-player

Let me know if there are others that you are going to introduce. We're always looking for games to play.

--Jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will McKinnon
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Jeff,

I'm always looking for a good new game and I haven't heard of some of those including:

Guillotine
Loot
Buccaneer
Tsuro
Wyatt Earp
Corsari
Naval Battles
Mag Blast 3rd Ed

More for the wish list.

Others on the my list of soon to be introduced are:
Bohnanza, I've only played with my kids and it didn't work so I'm hoping it will go over better with our group. One of them has played and would like to play again.

Category 5. Mostly I'm bringing this for the day we get a big group and we need a game that a lot of us can play in a short time.

Mah Jongg. I really like this game as it was one that orignally got me into gaming but I haven't played for so long I'm going to need a real refresher on the rules.

Pig Pile. Another quick one for bigger groups.

and Liars dice. Always a crowd pleaser.

But I'm going to check out your suggestions right.....now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.