Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Anderson
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
4 people showed up for the inaugural event at Boardwalk in Greenville, SC. An interesting note on the attendance was that 3 of the 4 players were active Star Trek Attack Wing players, and the 4th was a former attack wing player.

The builds were very dragon centric.
I played
Eshaedra
-Lightning Breath
-Ring of Swift Breath

Umberlis
-Shadow Breath
-Legendary Resistance
-Blur

Dwarven Ballista
-Dwarven Precision

My first opponent was Daniel, who is my good friend and who I test all of my builds against. We had played against the basics of my build prior, but the upgrades were now different. He ran Vaaka and a generic gold dragon. On the 2nd turn the engagement was open. Daniel was hesitant to use his cold breath because the gold dragon was in the fire arc. This was a critical error on his part. He had both my dragons in his fire arc, and allowed me to use both breath weapons on his dragons. Furthermore, he had left him in a line so Eshaedra was able to hit both dragons with her lightning breath. After the dice had finished rolling, both his dragons had received Deep Wounds, and Vaaka was hit by a double damage crit as well. By not using his breath weapon at this point, he was unable to bring it to bear for another 3 turns. At that time, the gold dragon had fallen, and Vaaka had suffered another double damage crit. The end was inevitable. I defeated Daniel, losing only Eshaedra.

Next up was Cliff. Cliff was the former STAW player who gave the game up because of rules problems. Rules problems were the matter of issue here. He was playing Balagos with Haste and Close Quarters, Malebolge with a slew of upgrades, and the generic wizard with Ray of Enfeeblement and Counter spell. One of the first rules issues Cliff had was the interaction of Crits and Armor. Since evades cancel hits before crits, he said he felt that armor was useless and crits ruled the game. He also felt that when he used Freeze, his armor should not be able to be penetrated by even crits. Finally, there was an issue where his on the ground Malebogle could not move, because he could not complete a 2 hard turn in front of him due to an airborne Dragon. The rules state that flying creatures can flyover grounded creatures, but there’s no mention of grounded creatures being able to do the same. I let him follow the “flyover” rules, but this is an area we need some clarification on. It seems odd to allow one altitude difference to do the “flyover” and not the other. Balagos is a mean machine, but Umbrilis at night, plus blur and 2 armor made most of Balagos’s attacks hit nothing but air. My good friends Double Damage and Deep Wounds also reappeared and help me take out Balagos. I defeated Cliff, losing the Ballista.

Finally, I faced off against Michael. He was running a three dragon build featuring Eshaedra, Claugiyilmatar, and a generic copper (without a breath weapon). He had lost his previous two matches, and since there were only 4 players in attendance, we played a round robin style. I’m not sure the intent of his legion, but after the match he said in all three games he placed too much emphasis on the scenario, and not enough emphasis on the killing of his opponent. A potential error I saw, was when he had an opportunity to use Lightning Breath against my Eshaedra to finish her off while she was under the crit that prevents her from attacking. Instead, he opted to use “Command” on Umbrilis. I simply cancelled the effect with Legendary Resist. The next turn, I finished off the Green and Blue, leaving his breathless copper. That copper did have 4 vision tokens, but he could not escape my dragons.

Victory was achieved. Arveiaturace was mine!
Post tournament thoughts.
1. Critical damage is HUGE in this game, as opposed to STAW. Having crits bypass armor, in addition to being the last damage that is cancelled by evades cause crits to play a larger part of the game than I have ever seen them play in Xwing or STAW. In those games, by the time you are dealt a crit, your “ship” has 1 turn of life left in them. Deep wounds and Double Damage were key components in my victory over Daniel (who came in 2nd place).
2. The no “pre-measurement” rule caused a lot of stress, as people did not want to waste their breath weapons while being out of range. Most of the other players had not picked up on the gamesmanship of taking a target action to “confirm” range during the action phase to set up a breath attack.
3. I have mixed feelings about the upcoming blind buy phase. While I do not mind the blind format, and hope that these blind options will fill out the low point cost figures that I feel the game lacks at this time, I regret that in an official tournament format I only experienced 1 month of 120 points before we downshift to the 90+blind builds that will be used for the next few months. I’d like to experiment with a Balagos/Arveiaturace melee dragon build. I’d like to experiment with Lord Max.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can only 'flyover' when 'flying' 'over' a ground unit. There is nothing ambiguous about the rule. If a flying unit is on the ground, he cannot 'flyover'.

It's an advantage of flying as to being on the ground.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Anderson
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cliff's issue was the apparent benefit that this rule gives flying creatures over grounded ones.

So a flying dragon can "flyover" a grounded dragon, but a grounded dragon can not "run under" a flying dragon.

He viewed this as a rule inconsistency that annoyed him, and this inconsistency gives "advantages".

example 1:
Large base flying unit is "touching" a small base ground unit. Ground unit is forced to dial a 1 move on the next turn. The owner of the flying unit knows this, and knows as a large base unit the grounded unit will be unable to move. Because of this "game mechanic", the flying unit also dials a one forward, and elects not to use the flyover mechanics, thus keeping the grounded unit in forward arc.

example 2.
Large base flying unit is forced to dial 1 move on the next turn. Small base grounded figure that is "currently" touching, knows it will not move if it dials a 1 move of any type and additionally some two moves. The flying unit is able to execute the flyover rules, even though it is hampered by the 1 move it was forced to take.

I agree with Cliff's problem here. if both figures are occupying a different altitude (ie Flight or Grounded), then the flyover rules should apply both ways, and to give preference to one elevation over another in this circumstance seems to give rules preference to that type of unit in the game overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have used example 1 to my advantage many times and plan to continue to do so. As I said, it is an advantage of having a flying unit and one of the reasons that flying units will cost more than a ground unit of the exact same stats.

Here is a logical reason for you.

A flying unit can choose to raise altitude to slow up (aka stop in front of) or dive a little bit to gain speed and fly past an enemy unit to give itself the combat advantage. A ground unit cannot do that.

So yes, they do get an advantage, they also pay for it. Same as a unit that has feint.... AHHH, I hate you feint.

So, I do disagree with you on this. There are some rules I disagree with (for instance both losing your action and getting the +1 die against you when pivoting). But this is one rule that makes sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, this advantage is intentional, and is indeed reflected in the costs of the creatures.

The ability to run "underneath" flying creatures would make sense for sure, but in some cases the extra movement would be quite extreme and seem strange for a ground unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also dont forget that most ground units have a 1 back move as well as pivot. Something that flying units dont have access to. Both types have their advantages and disadvantages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Anderson
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Alyksandyr wrote:
He also felt that when he used Freeze, his armor should not be able to be penetrated by even crits.

Um, isn't that true? If it wasn't, why wouldn't the text of Freeze be identical to that of Calamity's special ability?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade S
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oldgregg wrote:
Alyksandyr wrote:
He also felt that when he used Freeze, his armor should not be able to be penetrated by even crits.

Um, isn't that true? If it wasn't, why wouldn't the text of Freeze be identical to that of Calamity's special ability?

Crits are the only thing that can ignore its armor this is true for freeze and calamity. Their ability only affects things that "penetrates Armor" like breath weapons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
TheNextMikeIke wrote:
oldgregg wrote:
Alyksandyr wrote:

Crits are the only thing that can ignore its armor this is true for freeze and calamity. Their ability only affects things that "penetrates Armor" like breath weapons.

This is correct. Both should have had identical wording. This was an oversight on my part.

The essential idea is that crits "ignore" armor (they don't "penetrate" armor), so Freeze doesn't protect the Gargoyle from crits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Cooper
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mage Wars: Beastmaster's Pet
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a lot of games with a lot of rules that people say are 'illogical'. Why can't you stand still and aim your ballista, for example. I don't see crits as one of those situations. A critical hit is a hit that finds the weak spot in armour, or gets through dragon-scales. There is no way crits should be stopped by armour, or games would go on to be twice the length!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobb Beauchamp
United States
Volo
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flying is a hard mechanic for rules to capture accurately. In real terms, a flying creature should have a huge advantage over ground creatures, what with being free from a lot of friction that being ground-bound brings, and also the speed necessary to maintain flight in most (physics-bound) cases.

I find the way D&DAW handles flight to be just fine, and in giving flyers the ability to overfly ground figures is a good way to capture the advantage that flying has over walking. Giving the same ability to walking units doesn't make sense to me at all. The relative speeds just don't match up in a game where things on the ground are actually running, rather than being vehicles that could approach the speed of a flying dragon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.