Popular Tags: [View All]
spamman5r
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What, if anything, prevents QUATERMAN from being in the Starting Gang? If it is not allowed, does that mean the "must be invented" text applies before the game starts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He's a dude, but he's also a gadget, and therefore must be brought into play following the gadget rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spamman5r
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the result (he can't be in the starting gang) but not necessarily the why.

Dudes in your starting gang start the game in play (From the rulebook: "You cannot have a dude from another outfit in play at the start of the game" implies that), they are not brought into play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Taylor-Smith
Canada
Okotoks
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
...'must be invented'...

prevents Quaterman from being in the starting gang. To 'invent' is a High Noon Shoppin' action.

One question comes to my mind. If Quaterman has to be invented like any other current Doomtown: Reloaded gadget is it both a good and a dude. In other words can Quaterman be invented and brought into play at the the same location as the Mad Scientist and not just at the Home Outfit location where other dudes come into play. I'm assuming yes. Thus Quaterman is a gadget good and a gadget dude that only (currently) comes into play as a Inventing Shoppin' action at the location of the inventing Mad Scientist but not attached (as it is a dude).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What DailyRich said - Quaterman needs to be invented.
The closest you can have to a 'starting Quaterman' is:

opening lowball - Opponent has a Cheatin' hand.

Drew Beaumann uses his ability to invent a Quaterman (who just so happens to be in your opening play hand) along w/ a GR left over plus a GR for his upkeep. Voila - before anyone does anything, insta-Quaterman

buuuut, no, you can't 'start with Quaterman'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
spamman5r
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flapjackmachine wrote:
...'must be invented'...

prevents Quaterman from being in the starting gang. To 'invent' is a High Noon Shoppin' action.

One question comes to my mind. If Quaterman has to be invented like any other current Doomtown: Reloaded gadget is it both a good and a dude. In other words can Quaterman be invented and brought into play at the the same location as the Mad Scientist and not just at the Home Outfit location where other dudes come into play. I'm assuming yes. Thus Quaterman is a gadget good and a gadget dude that only (currently) comes into play as a Inventing Shoppin' action at the location of the inventing Mad Scientist but not attached (as it is a dude).

That point is kind of why I brought the question up. Gadgets are only defined in the rules as a sub-heading of Goods and it seems like with QUATERMAN, they need to clarify the Gadget rules. If I'm going to take the invention rules verbatim for QUATERMAN to prevent him from starting the game in play (even though he's a dude) then by that same section of rules I should be able to use a Tradin' play to give QUATERMAN to someone else, somehow.

That's very obviously ridiculous and I know I'm nitpicking, I just wanted to know if someone had a better rules source that resolved this silly thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Technically, going by his suit, he's a dude with the gadget keyword.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Full explanation here:

http://www.alderac.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=375&t=112842

TL;DR - As a Gadget, Quaterman can NOT start in play since 'inventing' is a NOON play that happens AFTER the first lowball/production/upkeep phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.