Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Kenny just posted this over on their site

Myth Second Edition Rule Book

Please use this thread for feedback. I will monitor and make sure the team receives.

Thanks to all who make this even better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa, new artwork and roughly half the length of the previous rule book. Now time to print it off and read it at home tonight after work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is much better. If the cost is reasonable, I will be kicking for the revised cards and this book. Not going in for the rest of the new content yet, I'll have to see how the revisions test with my group first...

Spoiler alert: Jimbob did not make the page 31 shout-outs...

Typo note: I caught an "Ongiong" early on. I can't remember where, but I'm sure if the team searches for it they will find it.

I sincerely hope there is going to be a pledge level that is just a complete KS1 upgrade package so those of us who haven't been doing the incremental PnP "patch" updates will be able to convert in full to the new rule set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks okay at first glance.

A few new rules that I can see - rewards for Bosses, trap 'cards' (one assumes they are in the next KS?) and mention of the Myth modules.

Nice to see MM, Dan and Alex get a thanks in the credits.

Congrats to Adam Sandler I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Peterson
United States
Cane Ridge
TN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be interested to see if this makes the game playable. My copy is long-since traded away, but if they ever realize the potential of the game, I'd be open to giving it another shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sadler
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Marcus the Ready wrote:

That's the first time anyone has ever called me that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marianne osborne
United States
morgan hill
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A first look shows a world of difference, I, like others, will be playing Myth tonight to try it out! (Any excuse to play my favorite game, lol)

This looks so much simpler and clearer, great work guys!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William
United States
Pasco
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After a first read through, it looks good. One huge omission, for me, is the exclusion of the Hero's section with flavor text and tips. I really loved that part.

@Alex - Is that section going to make a return in the final printed rulebook?

edit: spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davis
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sir Wilhelm wrote:
One huge omission, for me, is the exclusion of the Hero's section with flavor text and tips. I really loved that part.
Yes, but the mixture of fluff and rules is never a good thing. It makes it too hard to find the rules buried in the page. They had the same problem with the MERCS rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
flag msg tools
mb
Sir Wilhelm wrote:
After a first read through, it looks good. One huge omission, for me, is the exclusion of the Hero's section with flavor text and tips. I really loved that part.

@Alex - Is that section going to make a return in the final printed rulebook?

edit: spelling

The exclusion of the hero section is intentional. This rule book represents a ton of work on their part to focus this on "just the rules" to avoid confusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Beazer
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems best to keep flavor text and info in a separate area from the rules, making it easier to locate an actual rule when needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Stokes
United States
Chatham
Illinois
flag msg tools
BoardGameGeek
badge
BoardGameGeek
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very impressed with this, concise, condensed and coherent. It actually reads like a rulebook, like it is trying to teach someone how to play the game, rather than a collection of highlights of the game. Well done Adam Sadler! Well done MCG!
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait to go through this. Just reading this thread, it sounds like they took a great direction in removing some of the flavor though. Hopefully everything is presented in a clear and logical order. I still expect plenty of room for FAQ, etc., but the overall feel of the game must be clear...and it wasn't in the previous rulebook.

Hopefully, life will slow down a bit for me again. The last 6 months have been a whirlwind, and I'd love to delve back into Myth in the near future. The community has been putting together some great stuff it appears, but I haven't really had a chance to check it all out...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarad Bond
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pinkymadigan wrote:
I sincerely hope there is going to be a pledge level that is just a complete KS1 upgrade package so those of us who haven't been doing the incremental PnP "patch" updates will be able to convert in full to the new rule set.

From Myth Update #139:

Quote:
...Furthermore, each pledge level receives the updated rules linked above, updated Novice Hero cards (from the patches available on the website), and the new trap deck.

Additionally, as promised there is a level for those backers who only want to replace their base game of Myth with officially printed materials. It is priced slightly below cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Ray Johnson

Houston
Texas
msg tools
Unofficial Rulebook Editor - See the website on my profile for a list of my projects!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll definitely read through once I get back home to a faster computer~

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will B.
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Page 5: Setup Example, the Darkness Board has a '0' AP spot. Page 14: Darkness Board Breakdown, it doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a minor thing. On page 4, in the section on "Create Chapter Deck", I think it should be clear that all Act Quests should be removed as well. The components sections of the rulebook doesn't differentiate Act Quests from Chapter Quests, so new players may not pick up on the fact that Act Quests should be removed from the deck as well....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another very minor thing, on Page 6, the term "AP" is introduced alone in the section on Loitering. It is then more fully spelled out as "Action Point" in the following section on Activating the Darkness.

(On a side note, I wish they would've changed the terminology of Action/Reaction/Interrupt. In particular, the term "Reaction" seems to cause a lot of confusion for new players. Additionally, I would've explained how the Darkness Cycle integrates into everything a little differently, but I don't think it's necessarily unclear how it is...although it is difficult to analyze the rulebook when I already know how to play the game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Everly
United States
California
flag msg tools
mfaulk80 wrote:
(On a side note, I wish they would've changed the terminology of Action/Reaction/Interrupt. In particular, the term "Reaction" seems to cause a lot of confusion for new players. Additionally, I would've explained how the Darkness Cycle integrates into everything a little differently, but I don't think it's necessarily unclear how it is...although it is difficult to analyze the rulebook when I already know how to play the game.)

I was saying that earlier today. The term "Reaction," in the context of this game, is a bit of a misnomer. I remember when I tried to introduce Myth to new players last year. I explained to them that reaction cards don't have to be played in response to anything.

Much confusion ensued.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Taylor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorenthion wrote:
Marcus the Ready wrote:
That's the first time anyone has ever called me that.

Agh, sorry Adam, didn't realise it was 'Sadler'!

Good job anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Richardson
United States
Anchorage
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, so far I'm liking the new rulebook. I played very little with the last and haven't tried to play with this yet but forsee having to spend a lot less time searching for things and having a lot less questions with the trimmed down, stream lined book and updated cards.

Couple of minor comments:

Page 5 - Place hunting packs: "if a realm tile has the hunting pack icon with a number on it, you must select at least one monster-type (up to the number specified)."

I believe this should read something more like "...you must select at least one hunting pack, consisting of only one monster-type per pack (up to the number of packs specified)."

Page 10 - Prone

It should be clarified how long the effect lasts for enemies. Does an enemy stay prone for a whole hero cycle if multiple darkness cycles happen or does the enemy only stay prone for one darkness cycle?

Page 11 - Heroes

The heroes should probably have their own chapter not be part of the Game Round chapter.

Edited for typos...stupid auto-correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bormuth
msg tools
P 17: Enemy tactics

Enemies with melee (M) attacks always more towards their target.

Should read move instead of more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Also, page 5 refuses to print for some reason. It just comes out blank
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Miller

Columbus
Ohio
msg tools
Columbus, OH's best all '90s rock cover act: facebook.com/oddjobpolicy
badge
I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb
Magic Pink wrote:
Interesting. Page 5 is also where the PDF sends you when you hit an arrow key, which I found really odd when trying to scroll down with the arrows...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
pinkymadigan wrote:
Magic Pink wrote:
Interesting. Page 5 is also where the PDF sends you when you hit an arrow key, which I found really odd when trying to scroll down with the arrows...

Strange ... I've had neither of these issues. Darn technology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] |