Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I had played solo once, and sat down to teach the game yesterday. I randomized the locations, gave the rules overview, and off we went.

Unfortunately, I had randomly selected the Ruins side where you pay health instead of actions to succor. That caused a TON of confusion between spending actions to succor, spending health to defend, and in this one location, to spend health to succor.

Thus, I strongly recommend that any time you are teaching the game, you choose the other side for the Ruins location. Let everyone learn the base rules first, before adding this potentially confusing twist.

Any other tips for people about to play their first game of TED?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for starters, I would take the Fire Elemental out of the Epic Foe draw deck...give yourself a chance!

I might also let people choose (or assign) some of the more 'basic' heroes. I'd probably avoid Revenant, Bard, Necromancer and Oracle, as they are a little more 'nuanced' in their strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
Netherlands
Nijmegen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Avenger is a great Hero for getting many artefacts. Play with two dire enemies, and make sure your heroes can defend against them at all time.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It took me a few plays to really understand how important it is to sacrifice health points for defending or extra actions. There’s a natural desire to protect your character and in the other cooperative games we’ve played taking damage is more of a last resort option. In this game it’s actually another kind of currency, which could be good to explain in advance since you can go back to the “bank” of the capital city to get a refill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AernoutMJC wrote:
Avenger is a great Hero for getting many artefacts. Play with two dire enemies, and make sure your heroes can defend against them at all time.

Enjoy!
We call the Avenger "the Queen of Artifacts" or just the "Artifact Collector".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Patterson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
It took me a few plays to really understand how important it is to sacrifice health points for defending or extra actions. There’s a natural desire to protect your character and in the other cooperative games we’ve played taking damage is more of a last resort option. In this game it’s actually another kind of currency, which could be good to explain in advance since you can go back to the “bank” of the capital city to get a refill.

You do have to be careful with defending too much, though. If you spend your last health point defending, then when your ally card comes up, all you can do is pull back to the Capital, which is almost a wasted turn. The last time we played, we tried to conserve that last health point so we could succor something while getting one spot away from the Capital, sacrifice that last health point for an extra action, then retreat. We need to try this a few more times, but it seemed to work better than taking a full beating defending a region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.