Christian Kurz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

I have been building stuff for civilization for a few years now and wanted to show you what i arrived with. At first my main goal was to speed up set-up, but in the mean time i have come to build stuff to fit civilization on a smaller table and to speed up gaming itself.

If you want to know where i came from this is my old thread.

This post starts where the old thread ended: I had the idea, that it would be very clever to have small faction cards without dials and only one dial per player instead of a lot of huge factions sheets. While i had the idea to print my on faction cards, one Sunday morning i just grabbed my scissors and cut the originals right through. This was the result:

I wrote the starting tech below the special ability. These cards are now about the size of a normal card game.

With the leftover counters i made several designs of player specific boxes. While not all worked that well, the last model is pretty cool:

In the lower right corner there is a culture counter. While i had a two-digit counter earlier, i realized that this one (0-15) is enough. Now we do not need any culture tokens to play the game!

The box is more than the counter, though:
Inside, there is space for figures, cities and techs. Techs are sorted by level with little tabs to reach them quickly.
Social policies and governments stack onto the cities for storage:

Not only the player specific bits needed organization, though: I noticed, that apart from shuffling the cards, separating them from the huge stack i kept in one zip-lock bag took to much time. It's also nicer to have a card drawer instead of decks which collapse over the desk from time to time.
Now, all we have to do for set-up is placing this drawer - the cards are shuffled the first time somebody draws from the stack.

In case you were wondering what kind of box that is next to the cards:
That's where i keep my buildings and great persons. As with the cards and player-boxes, little tabs keep them sorted and easily accessible.
The lid folds all the way under the box to save table-space:

The same applies to the token box: It has compartments for all the tokens we still use. Instead of wound tokens and investment markers we just use coins. The huts and villages can be draw right from the box: Just don't look at it while drawing - the secret side has a sharper edge than the hut/village side which can be felt easily:

[ImageID= 2435540]

The resource compartments have double floors to store resources which can't be used when playing with less then five players.

That's all for now - here you can see it in all it's glory:

Oh, well i haven't talked about the box, yet. I just made a box to fit the map-tiles vertically as this fits my backpack better. Its also about 20% smaller volume than the original box.
All boxes have Velcro closings.

I hope you had fun reading about my stuff
If anyone is interested in plans for the boxes i can make some, but it will take its while

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that is some huge customization! Congrats!
I could never do that. I don't even allow scissors NEAR my games arrrh
But if others can do that its always impressive!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kurz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, i had a lot of thinking about it, too. I even built several player boxes with self made dials but never used them because it's just not the same without the nice artwork...

I'm happy you liked my customizations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Davis
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, you the man! I've re-designed a couple of games and many a game pieces in my stint, but I've never had the nerves to cut and paste the originals.

Kudos to you man, but I got to say as for the re-design of the box.....I just use plano boxes. They work great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Barton
Canada
Dryden
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the Civilization cards and the Dial/Storage Boxes! That's brilliant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Zscheile
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd as well never cut the original game material and also like the buildings and cards board, but for storage and easy setup I maybe will take some of your experience to my game. The setup really gets on my nerves. The host of our gaming group usually does it before everyone arrives...

Tipped for your tips!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.