Popular Tags: [View All]
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As posted in the news, Watchtower Games has announced two new expansions for Fallen - including a new Dungeon Lord and Hero.

http://www.watchtowergames.com/#!expansion-bundle-1-v4/c1ya

This stuff looks good. I am so glad that WG plans on supporting Fallen with additional material. There is virtually no limit on what they can add with sufficiently creative minds...

In addition, the (retail) base game is on sale for $40. For those on the fence, this is a good time to get the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been on the fence about getting Fallen.

I probably would have done so, but seeing that Adventure Packs which were Kickstarter Exclusive, I didn't want to just buy the core retail.

And the KS Adventure Packs are being scalped on Ebay for $100, which is ridiculous, especially given they were $10 add ons.

I'm sad to say this is another small company that, for those of us who didn't back the KS, are losing sales due to exclusives.

Now that they're producing other retail expansions in support of the game, it's tempting, but without buying the core game first I'm not getting those expansions either.

I know all the arguments about missing out on a great game just because I can't get some expansions is just silly. I don't disagree.

But there are MANY great games out there and most of them I can get all the material I want if I end up liking the core game and being a completist I tend to prefer those games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You aren't alone in that feeling. And you are right that there are lots of excellent games out there. All I can say is that this game is unique (in my experience). I really am not aware of anything else like it. So if you want to experience a "choose-your-own-adventure" book, but with the challenge of a human opponent, this is the only option out there.

With the discounted price for the core game, and the new expansions coming out this summer but available by pre-order, I think it's an excellent value. YMMV, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a feeling the amount of "lost sales" from people not getting the kickstarter expansions are a drop in the bucket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormbringerGT wrote:
I have a feeling the amount of "lost sales" from people not getting the kickstarter expansions are a drop in the bucket.

Hard to say. 10 people? 100? 1000? The latest update said that sales remain strong for the core game, so it's probably on the lower side. But as long as sales remain high enough for WG to keep publishing the game and developing expansions, that's really all I care about.

I'm curious if Fallen will be picked up by a distributor in the near future. As strong as sales may be through their website or Amazon, I imagine sales will really shine when it starts showing up in FLGS's around the country. Especially if there is a "line" of Fallen products, including several expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Green
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Michael,

There are four US distributors who will most likely be carrying Fallen in the near future. It's been a slow process to get those gears turning, but they are finally in motion.

Two distributors should be coming in the next 2-3 months, with 2 more after that at some point.

Tom Green
Watchtower Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our local store carries Fallen, we have sold out of numerous shipments of it. One of our Demos capped around 20 or so people playing fallen at once. We also still play it every week.

So yeah once it hits distro and is able to spread at a retail level I have a feeling this will blow up! In a good way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WTG TGreen wrote:
Hi Michael,

There are four US distributors who will most likely be carrying Fallen in the near future. It's been a slow process to get those gears turning, but they are finally in motion.

Two distributors should be coming in the next 2-3 months, with 2 more after that at some point.

Tom Green
Watchtower Games

Wonderful news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom,

On a separate note (but still about "more stuff!"), I read that part of the update re: multiplayer playtesting. How will that loook? Multiple Heroes against one Dungeon Lord? 2 Heroes vs. 2 Dungeon Lords? What is the goal in terms of player limit? 4? 6? Curious minds want to know...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lockwood
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike where did you see this update at?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Green
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
Here you go:

Quote:
Are you working on the multiplayer Fallen expansion? Yes indeed! Per our $80k stretch goal, we started work on the multiplayer expansion some time ago. Multiplayer Fallen requires a lot of design (and endless redesign) and a ton of testing. Not all expansions require the same amount or type of work, so we've had artists and writers keeping busy with different expansions as we work on multiplayer Fallen. We will continue to work on multiplayer Fallen as it's a very fun concept already. While sales of Fallen and its expansions continue to stay strong, we'll keep moving forward with the multiplayer. We have no additional information to share about multiplayer at this time, nor an ETA yet.

Sorry, Michael. "We have no additional information to share about mutiplayer at this time" other than it may involve dungeons and there may be cards and dice involved. Take that!

Tom Green
Watchtower Games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Game Steward
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StormbringerGT wrote:
Mike where did you see this update at?

Update #124 on the Kickstarter Page. Just came out today. Tom already quoted the relevant part about multiplayer playtesting. I missed that last sentence that they have no additional info to share at this time. blush

Quote:
Hello all! We've been busy the last few months getting Fallen shipped out and into everyone's hands. There are still a few final games that need to get delivered, but we're almost there. We've also been hard at work putting together more content for the game. We're very excited to announce not just one...but TWO new expansions for Fallen: the Depths of Glarr & the Cursed Sands, available for pre-order starting today!

What's in these new expansions? Well let's a take a look and find out.
Fallen Expansions

The Depths of Glarr is a new adventure pack that takes your adventures into the Namoren swamp. Nasty reptiles known as the Glarr attack anyone who wanders through their territory, and you are headed straight into their lair. New creatures, treasures, a new Quest card, and 15 themed Story cards await.

The Cursed Sands is an expansion that features two new characters: the Cursed One and Arvane the Necromancer.

The Cursed One is a new Dungeon Lord waiting at the bottom of the labyrinth. This vile mummy curses the Hero, weakening the adventurer's ability to go on.

The second new character is Arvane the Necromancer who summons vile undead and battles through the dungeon with his dark magic...as the Hero. That's right, you can now play as a necromancer adventuring through the dungeon and standing safely behind your undead minions. Step into the Dungeon Lord's lair with a demon or wraith at your side, and show him the true meaning of power.

Cursed Sands comes with new card types: Domain cards and Bane cards as well as an optional Loot token system. This expansion also includes new Treasures, new Creatures, new Omens, and let's not forget...15 themed Story cards taking the adventure beneath an old pyramid that once held the Dungeon Lord locked away for centuries.

Both of these expansions are available now for Pre-Order with an estimated release date of this summer. If you Pre-order the Expansion Bundle before March 22nd you'll receive 15% off the retail price, discounted shipping, and the Outlands Bonus card pack.

To learn more about the Expansion Bundle and to take a closer look at what each expansion has to offer, visit the pre-order page on our website.

To celebrate the Expansion announcements, the retail game of Fallen is currently available at 20% off during the pre-order sale. So if you have a friend looking into getting Fallen, now is the time.

So tell you friends. Tell your neighbors. More Fallen goodness is on its way

Are you working on the multiplayer Fallen expansion? Yes indeed! Per our $80k stretch goal, we started work on the multiplayer expansion some time ago. Multiplayer Fallen requires a lot of design (and endless redesign) and a ton of testing. Not all expansions require the same amount or type of work, so we've had artists and writers keeping busy with different expansions as we work on multiplayer Fallen. We will continue to work on multiplayer Fallen as it's a very fun concept already. While sales of Fallen and its expansions continue to stay strong, we'll keep moving forward with the multiplayer. We have no additional information to share about multiplayer at this time, nor an ETA yet.

Why is shipping to Canada so expensive? Unfortunately shipping to Canada is extremely expensive. Googling why Canadian shipping is so expensive throws up almost 28 million hits of frustrated businesses and customers. We've spent a lot of time looking into this, and the rates are very high (FedEx for example charges over $75 to ship these expansions from the US to Canada!). Unfortunately there will not be enough Canadian orders to justify an entire cargo container sent via ship, so we are shipping any Canadian orders straight from the manufacturer in China. Though we have no control over which carrier the manufacturer uses, I would plan on it being DHL so you can make an informed decision.
Art Books USA

If you are in the USA, ordered an art book as part of your pledge but have not received it yet, and have not emailed us your address, please check your email (and spam folder) for an email from us or message us your address at info@watchtowergames.com We have very few of these precious books and want to make sure they are delivered to the correct addresses.
Games that have not Arrived

If you are one of the few who have not received your game yet, please make sure you have emailed support@watchtowergames.com with your name, address, and phone number. If you have already emailed support with your name, address, and phone number, there is no need for you to send it again.

We have already been in contact with the manufacturer who is working with the carrier to push the packages through. They are out there, just hung up on obscure issues that the carriers are being annoyingly picky about.
GameStorm

Watchtower Games will be at this year's GameStorm convention this March from the 20th to the 22nd in Vancouver, Washington. We will have a large booth setup in the Vendor's Hall running games of Fallen and talking to players about the game. Drop by and say hello!
Game Rating

Well the ratings for Fallen on Board Game Geek keeps hovering at an extremely high 8.77 We cannot thank you all enough for taking the time to rate the game and show your support. With your help, Fallen has risen to the 1,600th rank on board game geek and continues to climb. Assuming all 214 votes are from you guys, that puts the percentage of backers who have voted at 16%. Your vote matters. If we could even double that, we would sky rocket up the rankings to help show more people that the game of Fallen is out there.

If you have the time and are inclined to support the game by rating it, you can drop down to the very bottom of Fallen's boardgamegeek.com page under the User Information section, click "Add a Copy to Your Collection".

A new window will appear. Next to "Rating", click on the "N/A" and give the game a rating (with a 1 at the lowest end meaning "Clearly Broken, You Wont Catch Me Dead Playing This" to 10 at the highest "Outstanding!").

Thanks for the support!

- Watchtower Games

/end vote pandering

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any chance that the four original Adventure packs released with the KS edition will be available in their store soon?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester Festertester
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tome has already stated a number of times that the KS version exclusive content and 4 KS exclusive adventure packs will only ever be available to the original backers to show them appreciation for supporting him. the backers were the ones risking there money after all!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Grawan
Germany
Lehrte
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
necroloid123 wrote:
the backers were the ones risking there money after all!!!
I was/am a backer of Fallen, I just did not get the Adventure packs and would like to get them now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Karr
msg tools
Thanks for sharing this, I have made my pre-order for the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo Borries
Germany
Schnelldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rashktah wrote:
necroloid123 wrote:
the backers were the ones risking there money after all!!!
I was/am a backer of Fallen, I just did not get the Adventure packs and would like to get them now.

Of course - sorry if i sound a little annoyed, but while i can understand people who just didn't see the KS campaign and so never had a chance to get the KS-exclusives in the first place, i don't see how it would be fair against the people trusting in Fallen so much that they were willing to give 150% of the game's price for those APs, if those who had the chance but willingly decided to not get the APs even though they knew that this would be the only chance now could get them just because now they want to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Jobe
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
Complaint about a dead Norwegian Blue parrot !
mbmbmbmbmb
Really excited to see more expansions ! Love this game !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

With the sale and the free shipping, the price was right where I had no doubts about buying it anymore. I picked it up and am looking forward to playing it this weekend.

Honestly, though, I feel bad about not having access to the kickstarter extras. Nevermind the adventure packs... I can at least buy those on ebay, but they seem small anyway. What I regret is the nearly double-the-content stretch goals I missed out on.

Don't get me wrong... I'm greatful to kickstarters for helping to get the game made. You absolutely deserve your extras and you took a much bigger chance than I would have ever been willing to do. Still... having twice as many heroes and dungeon lords and story cards would have sure been nice and worthy of spending a little more. (Although, in all honesty... it is nice to have a smaller CORE game to try out at a cheaper price.) Now that I've decided I'm a fan though... even these expansions seem kind of sparce compared to all those kickstarter goodies.

I don't know. For some reason my game set makes me feel kind of sad. Because it could have been so much better. And even buying expansions now won't get me back up to where it could have been.

Still... while I'm very happy with what I got in proportion to the reduced price I paid, I'm not sure I want to pay more and get less in these expansions, and I'm not sure about paying for-profit post-kickstarter prices for the "missing" content. I don't know... maybe I'll get more excited again once I get a few plays in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For whatever it's worth, while the adventure packs are ludicrously expensive via Ebay, picking up a Kickstarter version of the game really isn't that tough / pricey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anon Y. Mous
msg tools
mbmb
lordrahvin wrote:

I don't know. For some reason my game set makes me feel kind of sad. Because it could have been so much better. And even buying expansions now won't get me back up to where it could have been.

Exactly. The retail version having less than a quarter of the content is unacceptable. Exclusive promo cards are bad enough, but taking it to this extent is honestly disgusting. Alternate art cards, improved component quality, and even getting new content before release are all acceptable ways to provide incentives. Content that affects gameplay is irritating and I wish it wasn't so common, but it's usually such a small portion of the game that it's not a big deal. This is well beyond the threshold of acceptable practice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Udo Borries
Germany
Schnelldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ethereality wrote:
The retail version having less than a quarter of the content is unacceptable.

Where do you get that from? Did you actually see a version of Fallen with more than 12 heroes and more than 12 dungeon lords? (Yes, ther is actually more content in the game than only story cards, and the story cards actually have not that much of an impact on gameplay)

And if the KS version is four times the retail version, why are people complaining about the price of the KS verion? You can get the KS edition for less than $200 (four times the retail price)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.