Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Lykowski
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
...that sees the title as "1066 Tears"? I get the title now, but a colon after the year would have kept this from looking like a game about making mothers all around the world very sad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mário Sousa
Spain
Barcelona (currently)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually only thout about it after read your post laugh
But it doesn't seems problematic to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sjlykowski wrote:
...that sees the title as "1066 Tears"? I get the title now, but a colon after the year would have kept this from looking like a game about making mothers all around the world very sad.

So... You prefer colons to commas?
Gotcha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As one of those who have had the year and events of 1066 drilled into me at school I can safely say that no I did not
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
mbmbmbmbmb
If it is a title and a subtitle then it should be a colon separating the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
August222 wrote:

It's a listing comma. You could replace it with the word and but the title would lose punch.
Plus there are already six other '1066 colon' games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colon or comma or even hyphen, I think the game designer gets the choice of the title as some kind of recompense for all the time and effort put in. Personally, I don't mind it at all and see it in the same vein as "Tristan Hall, designer of 1066, Tears To Many Mothers"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. Octatrack
United Kingdom
Rochdale
Greater Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whew, Question Mark & The Mysterians thought they had it bad...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Lykowski
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
August222 wrote:

It's a listing comma. You could replace it with the word and but the title would lose punch.

It's not a listing comma: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/informatics/punctuation/comma/listin.... Your title and subtitle are not a list of three or more things. You could not sensibly make your title "1066 and Tears To Many Mothers."

It's a pretty serious grammar issue, not to mention it looks very strange. It should be a colon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sjlykowski wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:
August222 wrote:

It's not a listing comma: http://www.sussex.ac.uk/informatics/punctuation/comma/listin.... Your title and subtitle are not a list of three or more things. You could not sensibly make your title "1066 and Tears To Many Mothers."

It's a pretty serious grammar issue, not to mention it looks very strange. It should be a colon.

Hey Steve, I really like your work - can't wait for my KickStarter copy of ERA to arrive. Any reason the title 'ERA' is sometimes randomly capitalised in the game's description here and on the KS, but often it is not? What is ERA an acronym for anyway??

But seriously, you guys figure out how to put the 'u' in colour and I'll consider changing the title of my game what I done gone diddly designed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Lykowski
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ERA is capitalized for effect and is done frequently in sales copy.

As a designer myself, I of course respect your choice to title your game however you'd like. At the time I wrote this post I believed my suggestion was not artistic or preference-based...I just wanted to point out a grammar issue that not only I but probably many others will find confusing. I probably should have notified you of this privately, so I apologize for that. Regardless, best of luck with your game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No probs Steve, it's something to chat about whilst people wait for their copies of 1066 to arrive anyway! And if as you say many people are going to be confused let's break down why the title is unlikely to change; as an occasional grammar enthusiast myself I can appreciate how you thought you might have a case:
If you consider that 'Tears to Many Mothers' is Eilmer's poetic description of an astronomical event within that year, you'll concede that '1066 and Tears to Many Mothers' - as you suggest above - would in fact be as sensible a title as '1066 and Halley's Comet's Flyby.' I just swapped 'and' for a comma.
See also the movies 'Lust, Caution' or 'Aguirre, Wrath of God.'

Regarding your inconsistent sales copy, I see that many of your posts for the game also wander randomly into ALL CAPS, so I respect that that's your own personal preference.
Thanks for respecting my preferences too, and I look forward to playing ERA, Era or era, whichever you prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Lykowski
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Some interesting points.

You referenced one of my favorite Werner Herzog's movies, so I am willing to raise the white flag on our grammar skirmish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Redheaded Pharmacist
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread made my head hurt but I was more of a math guy in school.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.