Subject: New units - Future of the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cthonian Cthulgan
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello there fellow commanders
I wanted to ask about the future of this game , if it will get expansions and so on..
I bought it while i was aware that there is a big posibility that as series is just finished , i couldn't resist with all these modern warfare ( helicopters , T70's , Abraams ... ).I am too tired about WW2 and this was so fresh..Would we get airplanes ,artillery units ,speznatz other warsaw and NATO units ?
At least I hope the already published units will continue to be available..
If anyone heard or read anything somewhere .. ( I am unwilling to face the truth , i have a bad feeling.. )
Thank you very much
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas J.
Germany
flag msg tools
Have you read the "Not good news" thread:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1300349/not-good-news ?

I guess that's all we know at the moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cthonian Cthulgan
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thomasius wrote:
Have you read the "Not good news" thread:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1300349/not-good-news ?

I guess that's all we know at the moment.

Thank you
Yes that is all we know at the moment , i was hoping if there are more news about it .. Indeed some soviet truck , artillery , anti-air units are planned but without the US counterparts ( except an artillery vehicle )
.It's pity if Zvezda won't continue this line as it opens new interesting paths to follow , they could add units from other NATO , Pact countries , different board-sets ( Barbarossa grew so big by content ) .. I wish for them to have good sales so they can continue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas J.
Germany
flag msg tools
Battlefront (the maker of Flames of War) plans to release a "Cold War Gone Hot" series, starting in October this year. The Hot War models (at least the vehicles) would be a good supplement to that (and vice versa), just as Zvezda's 1/100 WWII models are a good supplement for the Flames of War range.

Will that change Zvezda's mind regarding Hot War? Most likely not, I guess. They have looked at the sales figures and made their decision. Thus there will be at best a few additional Soviet vehicles (probably without the unit cards inside the boxes) and maybe the American M109 and that's all.

Yes, it's sad, but not facing the facts won't do us any good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cthonian Cthulgan
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much for the info ..
I am board-gamer most , and Zvezda's system filled the space of a minis-board game . I prefer minis than counters ( just give me a reason to play with my toysoldiers and i am happy ) but i don't have the luxury to make diorama's for battlefields . Samurai battles and this were the perfect games for my tastes . I have tried flames of war in the past and i liked it a lot , maybe i ll check the new setting..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas J.
Germany
flag msg tools
Or you could use the Battlefront minis for Hot War, if you are willing to make your own unit cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So this game basically is dead.

At the time I was tempted to get into sveda games, but I could not shake the feeling that they had especially created the game for the simple purpose of boosting their miniatures sales.

So I'm pleased I decided against it allthough I do feel for all you who now can no longer expand or complete their game, which apparent from all this, must be fun to play.

Anyway your experience is reason enough to want to stay away from sveda games, I mean they seem unreliable and might just quit production when they feel like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Merritt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got into this game a while back knowing there was no chance for expansion, other than some additional Soviet vehicles and maybe a U.S. artillery vehicle. My first venture into Zvezda was Samurai Battles. Though it stopped expanding when Konstantin Krivenko passed away, Samurai Battles was at least complete enough to remain a great game to me. Hot War left some units un-released such as Engineers and Medics but I have been able to create some of these using basic motorized infantry and cut and paste cards for the specific functions of Engineers by using the WW2 unit cards. The WW2 symbols are generally the same so transfer is easy. The only problems would be figuring out any attack stats for Engineers and Medics.

I think if Zvezda does not want to make more models they should at least create stats for un-released units and more rule explanations such as the chemical warfare rules (the current rules show what happens when preparing for such an attack but not damage and how to execute such an attack). The missing obstacles like razor wire, tank traps, pontoon bridges, and pill boxes are available from the WW2 series. There are also new opportunities for terrain/map boards through the WW2 and SB games. Certainly, anyone who is into the WW2 with British/German units could create scenarios for the desert using Hot War desert boards.

Anyway, I still like Hot War and have enough units to create new or play existing scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freddy Dekker
Netherlands
Friesland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
good for you, have fun.

so svedla stuff is clearly only for those who like to tinker with their games and create something out of nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bluefalcon251 wrote:
I think if Zvezda does not want to make more models they should at least create stats for un-released units and more rule explanations such as the chemical warfare rules (the current rules show what happens when preparing for such an attack but not damage and how to execute such an attack).

I agree on all fronts; it's a shame we never got to see the entire "chemical weapons" side of the game. There are a few rules dealing with some of its mechanics, but it's not complete. (I suspect the original plan was to give the planned artillery units the ability to fire chemical shells...)

Incidentally I was surprised to see on the Zvezda's VK (think: Russian Facebook) site that they are releasing the Soviet artillery and AA models, and the cards to represent them. The Ural truck was released a little while ago. I'm tempted to pick these up just to have a complete set, but they're not as cheap as the WW2 units so... maybe not.

I also agree that it's great to have Hot War for the desert boards to use with the WW2 game. There are quite a few fan-made scenarios on the Zvezda website and message board that use these to represent, for example, the North African desert war between Germans and British. Sigh... it all feels like just a few steps away from a really great, interlocking system.

Those unit cards by the way:

Self-propelled AA:
http://cs624720.vk.me/v624720402/3c73d/l9jkhZpOvic.jpg

Self-propelled artillery:
http://cs624720.vk.me/v624720402/3c747/c1MHXsSN1r4.jpg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Darlington
Canada
Ottawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh! And they've just announced that they're releasing the American SPA:

http://cs622129.vk.me/v622129402/4ca78/_-cGLZ4Zzto.jpg

http://cs622129.vk.me/v622129402/4ca82/qfv7vrqFfsk.jpg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Merritt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome, at least now we would have units that use the Fire on Location and Indirect Fire. And those artillery units have serious range and firepower! I still am reluctant to acquire a truck since they are not totally needed (the Soviet BTR-80 and US Bradley can both carry supplies). I will get a truck eventually just to complete the collection (and a couple of each new vehicle as well). Still, with no added infantry I would like the ability to make my own cards to create new infantry types like engineers and medics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.