Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Smith
United States
Clinton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to keep my games, including the boxes, in very good condition, especially if might want to trade them someday. My dishing problems have gone away since I realized not to store games horizontally, but I still get the dreaded white fuzz at the corners of games very easily. I think it may be that my games get jostled when transported (I use a duffel bag just barely too small to put them in vertically), but I'm buying so many new games right now I don't plan to get a new bag anytime soon. I might try using reusable grocery bags and see if those work better, though. Anybody have any other tips to keep the corners of boxes as nice as possible?

(Also - should I put this under DIY...? Wasn't sure where it'd best fit...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan "Spartan Spawn, Sworn, Raised for Warring!"
United States
Sellersburg
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
badge
"By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe."
mbmbmbmbmb
I think light scuffing on the box is just about inevitable unless you leave them in shrink and never mess with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Harriman
United States
Lebanon
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you transport your games (or play them for that matter) box wear will occur.

Best I have seen would be plastic totes with lids.

I use a milk crate.

Soft bags provide little protection from bumps and bruises.

A bag too small could be actually making it worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps some box corner protectors? Dunno if they work for cardboard boxes. You may have to buy some typical consumer stuff and mod them to suit your specifications.

Luftwaffe Flak wrote:
I think light scuffing on the box is just about inevitable unless you leave them in shrink and never mess with them.
For me, boxes are there to protect the contents. That said...

Dostradamas wrote:
If you transport your games (or play them for that matter) box wear will occur.

Best I have seen would be plastic totes with lids.

I use a milk crate.

Soft bags provide little protection from bumps and bruises.

A bag too small could be actually making it worse.
It also helps to be mindful of how you stack/store your boxes. Of course, don't put heavier boxes on top of lighter ones. If the size and layouts are off, then it'll cave in the lighter ones. Well, it did for me since I usually take out inserts to fit more stuff in there (which provides even less structural integrity).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
july mjj
Philippines
Cebu City
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
if you don't mind putting the extra work, cover your boxes with a clear plastic film/sheet, the one used for covering books (i'm not what's it called properly)

for new games, just leave most of the shrink, just cut out the bottom, just enough to open the lid. and then tape it, to secure in place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could keep the games in plain brown boxes with the game names written in marker on the side and then store all game boxes in storage somewhere safe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most boxes actually get damaged from fatigue after being opened repeatedly. If you never open them, they should stand the test of time.

Pete (thinks the alternative is packing tape)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
United States
Southgate
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple, really REALLY big sleeves....whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually repair and clean up my games that I can do so with. Some white glue on the corners does wonders to help them be more scuff resistant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Yes, it is your practice of putting the boxes in a duffel bag that is causing the damage.

My boxes are kept on a shelf. The shelf has room for free and easy movement as I remove or replace them, and I generally move them only to my table and back. On the now rare occasions that I take them somewhere, I carry them myself.

My box corners are fine because of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Smith
United States
Clinton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the advice, everyone!

JasonJ0 wrote:
Yes, it is your practice of putting the boxes in a duffel bag that is causing the damage.

My boxes are kept on a shelf. The shelf has room for free and easy movement as I remove or replace them, and I generally move them only to my table and back. On the now rare occasions that I take them somewhere, I carry them myself.

My box corners are fine because of this.

Oh, I keep my games on a shelf, but I'm in the unfortunate position of nobody else in my group having the time/money/dedication to get into reading about and buying new games, and about half our game days aren't at my house. I usually want a look of options so I'll take at least 4 large games when I know we only have time for 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carlsbad wrote:
robbdaman wrote:
I actually repair and clean up my games that I can do so with. Some white glue on the corners does wonders to help them be more scuff resistant.

I was curious about trying something like that as an experiment. I've never been OCD or anything, but for some reason white corners increasingly bug me. If there's a simple way to reduce them without damaging anything it might be worth a shot.

Is the glue noticeable? i.e. would you ever know that they had been glued?

It dries clear so it's not easy to tell, on some of my repairs you can't tell at all because it's a light coat. Others that I've gone heavy on sealing with you can if you look because it's a smooth texture on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
If your game box doesn't show wear, you clearly are not playing it enough .

I find dropping the boxes directly on the corner helps to prevent damage to the box corners. The reasoning being once they are damaged, they do not really become more damaged, they just are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K H
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Repackage all your games into Plano boxes. No more frayed white corners.

cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
DOES NOT COMPUTE ||| EXTERMINATE ||| EXTERMINAAAAAATE
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to not worry too much about box wear, but then my Dixit box top fell apart, after about 4 years of owning it and 30 or so games played. That made me wonder how I could protect the boxes - sure, it may have been a shitty box (the only other box to all apart was Last Nigth on Earth in a similar time frame and half as many plays), but I'd like my games to last me a generation at least. We do have 30y old monopoly at home and the box is still quite ok (inb4 jokes about noone playing it).

I taped the Last Night on Earth box but it looks ugly even though the tape is clear. My biggest concern is mainly the box falling apart, especially for games that can no longer be bought, so the idea of reinforcing corners from the inside appeals to me, but Idk what mylar sheets are and how to get them in CZ. Also, concerns about the fit being too snug to close after linign the insides?

I don't worry too much about simple corner wear, but if there's a way to avoid that too, all the better. The glue sounds liek it might work, but again not sure what kind of glue. The glue we have here for paper is milk white.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Same issue for me - it's basically the only truly visible damage that all my games get, but I do tend to transport them a lot in a big bag. I wonder what could offer better protection during travels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
Derry
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Be careful you do not sit on your boxes, or the corners will become damaged. Learned this after accidentally sitting on an Arkham Horror box :/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomáš Sládek
Czech Republic
Brno
flag msg tools
badge
DOES NOT COMPUTE ||| EXTERMINATE ||| EXTERMINAAAAAATE
mbmbmbmbmb
bradelli wrote:
Be careful you do not sit on your boxes, or the corners will become damaged. Learned this after accidentally sitting on an Arkham Horror box :/

LOL! Mine would probably be squashed if I did that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeve my box corners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley Sheak
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
I want to play boardgame with my friends everyday, but realised it's just an unrealistic dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 1 solution for you:

Buy a big roll of clear adhesive book cover, cut to your box size (include all directions of the lid), stick it on and fold the corner like how you fold it when gift wrapping, then tape the stick out corner onto one side.

I don't sleeve my box so I don't have any picture to show you, but you'll get the idea easily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:

QFT. I noted this myself after using a canvas tote bag for a short time. I switched to one of those collapsible wheeled plastic crates & the wear has significantly reduced.

darthain wrote:
If your game box doesn't show wear, you clearly are not playing it enough .

Also QFT. I've learned to accept the bit of wear on the boxes as badges of honor that show I play my games (also the same goes for the car--emotionally harder, but many of those little chips on the nose were earned on the track).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
We've taken care of everything...
mbmbmbmbmb
gassyjoe wrote:
Simple, really REALLY big sleeves....whistle

Wasn't there a guy who wanted to make those on a kickstarter recently?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bradelli wrote:

I found that having your recliner fall on your new game wasn't particularly good for the box either

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.