Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Now when Frank starts complaining about Blue Moon (well except for that one deck ) you know that somebody has crossed the line meeple

And I agree. Ditto with individual pictures of every sodding mini available in a game shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carl huber
England
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
DO WE REALLY NEED A FUCKING PICTURE OF EVERY CARD IN THE FUCKING GAME???

I feel both ways about this. On one hand I think people are pushing their luck uploading picture after picture of the same game (every board from a game, or every card from a game), especially as I feel I've earnt every single geek gold I own (13 at last count) the hard way by not doing that, and submitting maybe two pictures max of a game I own.

On the other hand, in years to come when I'm trying to figure out the missing card from, say, Up Front, maybe I'll appreciate the fact that someone took the time to document it. Think of the rarest game out there, that perhaps a couple of people own. How will we reproduce it if there is no record of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zippy grey wedge owner
Malaysia
Putrajaya
Wilayah Persekutuan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's the darn . You guys already have your spiffy flashing avatar, ubergeekbadgethingy, and your string of microbadges. Me thinks those uploading pics of every f***ing card/mini/mat wants to get theirs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
There seems to be a lot of threads complaining about GeekGold lately... how about making GeekGold payments contingent on a certain #of thumbsup ...maybe 3-5 or so (for which you might get a bigger payout.. maybe 3-5 geekgold for example) and until you get those thumbs up... you get nil for the pic/session report/review etc.

This should encourage quality submissions... not just quantity.

This is just a sample idea but you get the idea... encourage better pics and other submissions and pay out bigger Geekgold payouts when they are actually judged to be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Hey if this can get approved, and it doesn't even LOOK like a meeple! shake At least make it look like a meeple! And it's got 8 thumbs??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Putting aside the geekgold issue for a moment, I think having 500 pictures for a game would be a lot less annoying if BGG simply set up subfolders for the images just like the game threads. There could be: general, components, mods, cats-&-girlfriends...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mossman
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Hey if this can get approved, and it doesn't even LOOK like a meeple! shake At least make it look like a meeple! And it's got 8 thumbs??

How about the Count? A little more in the theme of Halloween.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
IronMoss wrote:

How about the Count? A little more in the theme of Halloween.

Now that's a winner. zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
carl huber
England
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Are you really going to look at 30 pictures of blue moon to work out what cards are missing? I doubt it.

Actually, yes. But I do appreciate that might just be me. After all, I have sat there clicking my way through the pics on the blue moon web site (must get out more).

MrSkeletor wrote:
I don't mind the miniture pics, especially when painted. They can be used as inspiration when painting your own minis plus its showing off work that people have done.

I'm much less interested in painted miniatures and game mods than the original game components. I don't really care what people have done with the game, but what comes with the game. Guess it reminds of when I was a kid poring over pics of games in the lead up to Christmas. But different strokes for different folks, and all that.

Maybe ditching geek gold for picture submissions is an idea, because I'm not trying to make a case for some of the stuff that get's submitted. Just saying that I do like to see complete pictures of the games components, and there is a probably a happy medium somewhere that we have yet to find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
A FUCKING PICTURE OF EVERY CARD IN THE FUCKING GAME???

Er, I think you missed a word out between "EVERY" and "CARD". shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1. Look at the WotR pictures folder shake

2. I love the idea of subfolders, but organizing that would required the work of a wholed community of dedicated gamers, which we simply don't have the luxury of. And also probably a lot of programming work, but I don't have to care about that.

3. Seriously, Ware of the Rings. It's horrendous

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
I think gold for thumbs is a good way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hunt
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
BagpipeDan wrote:
2. I love the idea of subfolders, but organizing that would required the work of a wholed community of dedicated gamers, which we simply don't have the luxury of.

It can be done... Remember when Representative Images was first introduced? I'm pretty sure we knocked those on the head within a couple of weeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kalgreen
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BoB3K wrote:
Putting aside the geekgold issue for a moment, I think having 500 pictures for a game would be a lot less annoying if BGG simply set up subfolders for the images just like the game threads. There could be: general, components, mods, cats-&-girlfriends...

I would LOVE to see this! I just want to look at bits most of the time, and this would make that far easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=[Ran Over]=-
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
What if the gold payout were scaled based on the game's A) time in the database, B) number of ratings, and C) owners. These items could approximate a sort of "familiarity index." The idea being that less familiar games yield more gold for user content and the payout decreases with familiarity/popularity until a game is so well-known or popular that it switches over to the gold-for-thumbs system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kalgreen
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wetwebwork wrote:

I'm much less interested in painted miniatures and game mods than the original game components. I don't really care what people have done with the game, but what comes with the game. Guess it reminds of when I was a kid poring over pics of games in the lead up to Christmas. But different strokes for different folks, and all that.

I am soooo with you on this one. I love having tons of pictures of the bits to look at, but I really only want to see what comes in the box. I know other people really enjoy looking at the customized stuff, and find it inspiring. So that's another reason I'd like to see image categories, so both types of 'bit lovers' could find their fix easily, without tripping over each other =)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mossman
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
I have been geekmoding about a zillion planes from wings of war.

I feel your plane pain. Just ran through a huge Wings of War and some other WWII themed card game set of pictures. I guess I can tolerate a lot of images of the cards (of course, it'd be nicer if a bunch of cards were grouped together rather than shot individually), but what was irratating was that the submitter clearly submitted duplicates of the same card in the set. Different pictures, but the same card.

If I'm going through 70+ card images, it's putting an awful burden on me to remember each and every card submitted. Submit a whole bunch if you must, but please police your own images before submitting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Maybe we need reverse Geekgold... negative thumbs are needed... that way even if a pic is accepted and it is judged as sucky by the community (say a 80/20 ratio of negative to positive thumbs after 10+ votes)... strip em' of the gold and if that means losing their avatars, badges, etc... so be it. That'll get everyone producing quality... the Geek giveth and the Geek taketh away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
nexttothemoon wrote:
Maybe we need reverse Geekgold... negative thumbs are needed... that way even if a pic is accepted and it is judged as sucky by the community (say a 80/20 ratio of negative to positive thumbs after 10+ votes)... strip em' of the gold and if that means losing their avatars, badges, etc... so be it. That'll get everyone producing quality... the Geek giveth and the Geek taketh away.

If some heartless admin deletes a picture the gg will get stripped anyway. Can you imagine going through the trouble of uploading 100+ images of individual cards for games one at a time only to have an admin come in an calllously delete all but a small representative sample after the fact?

Terrible, I tell you.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MrSkeletor wrote:
Ok, this thread is a complaint. You have been warned.

I understand that this is a game database and all that, but DO WE REALLY NEED A FUCKING PICTURE OF EVERY CARD IN THE FUCKING GAME???

The point I think is that pictures of components are to get a feel for them. Examples of the different kind of cards found in the game for instance. Am I the only one getting pissed off by the fact someone is apparently uploading every single card from blue moon? I have been geekmoding about a zillion planes from wings of war. Now I have just come across the wings of war player mats... all four colors.
Seriously - ONE PICTURE OF ONE PLAYER MAT IS ENOUGH! No one cares about the difference between the purple and yellow one.

Ok, I feel better now.

Agree.

I find this interesting. There are about 114,000 images in the BGG database. Of those only 33,500 have a thumbs up. There is a lot of photos that no one really cares about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Quote:
If some heartless admin deletes a picture the gg will get stripped anyway. Can you imagine going through the trouble of uploading 100+ images of individual cards for games one at a time only to have an admin come in an calllously delete all but a small representative sample after the fact?

Terrible, I tell you.

-MMM

Sounds like a good plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
There could also be a limit on pics per game... say 20-50 range. That should be more than enough to get an idea what the game looks like.

Once the 50 pic mark is hit... no more pics allowed for that game and while the pic quota is maxed at 50... if any of those pics don't get a Thumbs Up in say a 3 month period, it's deleted and a picture slot opens up for a new pic of that game. That technique should help weed out the trash as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nexttothemoon wrote:
There could also be a limit on pics per game... say 20-50 range. That should be more than enough to get an idea what the game looks like.

Once the 50 pic mark is hit... no more pics allowed for that game and while the pic quota is maxed at 50... if any of those pics don't get a Thumbs Up in say a 3 month period, it's deleted and a picture slot opens up for a new pic of that game. That technique should help weed out the trash as well.

The main problem I see with something like that is that you would have people thumbs up their own image. Or create fake accounts just to thumbs up the photo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mossman
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nexttothemoon wrote:

I appreciate the motivation (and agree that some collections could be pared down or have certain images "archived"), but one of the challenges with the "thumbs up" system is that there are many images - box covers come to mind - that rarely receive any thumbs, but are a very useful to have in a game's collection (and often the representative image). Also, "thumbs" tend to be given more to games that people are familiar with (since there's more a chance of someone viewing the Carcassonne collection than some very obscure OOP wargame). Similarly, "pretty" games are easier to "thumb" - I'm always impressed by someone who really captures a good hex-and-counter game image, because they are not naturally very eye-catching.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cardarelli
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nexttothemoon wrote:

This is a bad idea. The Geek used to have a 1-10 rating system, and nasty people would rate things a 1 just because they didn't like the topic, or the poster. I think the thumbsup is a great way to rate things, because you can't negatively rate things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.