Popular Tags: photos [+] [View All]
Jeremy Kalgreen
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Howdy, this isn't a huge issue, but it would certainly make my BGG life easier!

I'm trying to upload a batch of component shots for every game I own (and I'm about halfway there). One of the most annoying parts of the whole process is when I have 10+ images for one game and having to upload images one at a time, wait for it to load, hit back, try to remember which image number I was on (since after 8 or so I just start to zone out), then repeat a bunch of times.

If I could highlight a batch and upload them in one go, that would be wonderful. Any reason why this isn't a good idea for you guys? Or maybe there is a way to do this already, and I'm just to dense to figure it out =)

Thanks much,
Jeremy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Simple solution, you should not be uploading 10 images for a game. (Sorry, pet peeve. Someone is uploading every airplane from Wings of War. Do we really need all these pictures?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oskari
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Sterling.

Anyway, if it really is absolutely necessary to upload 10+ artistic images for every game in the database, at least use captions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kalgreen
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know what other users prefer, but I know I love game bits! And I for one am glad when someone uploads all the bits from a game I don't own, since the toy factor can be a big reason I decide to go out and buy a game (Yeah, I'm a child, yadda yadda).

Obviously I'm no Admin, but so far the feedback I've gotten has been quite positive, and I've been getting virtually everything approved. So I gotta assume at least some of your peers disagree with you =)

[ninja edit: yeah, perhaps I should be captioning... ]

Jeremy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Hansson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeremy:
I love you photos! It's obvious you're in to photography. I also like close-ups of game components. Don't forget to add captions though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Synge
United Kingdom
NEWTON ABBOT
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Go get 'em, Floyd.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jezztek wrote:
I've been getting virtually everything approved.

~Well, I've certainly approved some of these - there's nothing wrong with them individually, so that's why they are going through.

But to pick up on Sterling's point, whether they are all really necessary is another matter. Just think what it would be like if Sterling had treated these components singly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jezztek wrote:
Obviously I'm no Admin, but so far the feedback I've gotten has been quite positive, and I've been getting virtually everything approved. So I gotta assume at least some of your peers disagree with you =)

Well, the "problem" is that your pictures are good. I would probably give a thumbsup to the first one or two, but would start to decline for being too 'similar' at some point. Even if the images are good, i don't think we need a close-up of every little plastic item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jezztek wrote:
I don't know what other users prefer, but I know I love game bits! And I for one am glad when someone uploads all the bits from a game I don't own.so far the feedback I've gotten has been quite positive, and I've been getting virtually everything approved.

Take your Conquest of the Empire images. They are very nice, but do we need 13 separate images, each one showing 1 figure multiple times? Really, one nice image with 1 of each figure would convey just as much information, and look nicer. This is not an art class.

Have you ever heard of captioning? Sheesh. What are these things? At least you crop them.

And yes, I did mod those, and rejected all but one. But the masses do not care, and will just accept anything out there.

Edit: If an admin has time, they will go through and clean these out, deleting the duplicates and thereby removing the geekgold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim Synge wrote:
Jezztek wrote:
I've been getting virtually everything approved.

~Well, I've certainly approved some of these - there's nothing wrong with them individually, so that's why they are going through.

But to pick up on Sterling's point, whether they are all really necessary is another matter. Just think what it would be like if Sterling had treated these components singly.

I should. That would be nice chunk of geekgold!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kalgreen
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Tim Synge wrote:

But to be fair, that picture doesn't make me want to play the game in the least.

Obviously there has to be a balance, you don't need to have each little piece be given it's own picture. But I think splitting that image into 6-7 would do wonders for making the game look fun, instead of drab!

Because when I see an image on the geek, I think the goal is to make the game look appealing! When I see a nice pictures of some cool bits it makes me want to go out and play it, it's inspiring to me.

That's what I'm trying to provide to others, a sense of wonder about the toy factor of games. Perhaps some people find Sterling's image of B&R inviting and lush, and thus encourages them to drop the coin and get the game. But those people certainly aren't like me, in fact this image reduces my desire to play the game.

And that is the nature of a community based site. There are going to be different types of people here, some don't care about bits, some do.

So my pictures won't appeal to gamers who aren't interested in the toy factor, but I find it ironic that a on a site based on obsessive completeness, someone like Sterling who isn't interested in bits, would find someone else's obsessive completeness so offensive because it doesn't match theirs. =)

Even if let's say 85% of the people have no interest in looking through 15 pictures of bits for a game, what is the harm in having them there for the 15% of the community who might really enjoy it.

I could see changing the geekgold rules on this one so that no one can earn more then x GG per game for uploading images. Then I guess the only people that would upload more then x for a game would be doing so for the reasons I have outlined above, and not jut for the GG.

Jeremy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kalgreen
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yeah, forgot to ask:

Can I add captions after to images I've already uploaded? Or can I only do that as I'm uploading? Since my images are named boring things like image2.jpg when they come off the camera it's hard to remember what each image represents until it's uploaded, where I can see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love your photos Jeremy, and I am glad to see an artistic touch even to the idea of documenting every piece in a game. I also appreciate that they are not 3000x2000.
I would rather look at 20 photos of Jeremy's game pieces than 20 photos of the game board being played at some CON.

On a similar note that Sterling mentioned I am not sure what to think of someone uploading card scans of every card in a game, such as Blue Moon the other day or Wings of War recently. Is there really need in the community to see every card. What is next, every Monopoly card from every edition or worse yet every MTG card. I personally do not find them interesting, but do a large number of others find them interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jezztek wrote:
Oh yeah, forgot to ask:

Can I add captions after to images I've already uploaded? Or can I only do that as I'm uploading? Since my images are named boring things like image2.jpg when they come off the camera it's hard to remember what each image represents until it's uploaded, where I can see it.

If there is one I have never found it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim U
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
sbabcock wrote:
Simple solution, you should not be uploading 10 images for a game. (Sorry, pet peeve. Someone is uploading every airplane from Wings of War. Do we really need all these pictures?)

In my opinion, what we really need is a tool for bulk declining all the images mcnamarad is uploading.

I'm inclined to photograph and post a deck of standard playing cards, one card at a time. They'll probably pass and I could use an extra 52gg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gwen
Belgium
oost-vlaanderen
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jimu wrote:
sbabcock wrote:

In my opinion, what we really need is a tool for bulk declining all the images mcnamarad is uploading.

I'm inclined to photograph and post a deck of standard playing cards, one card at a time. They'll probably pass and I could use an extra 52gg.

I've voted to approve some of them, but 70+ images of single cards for one game is just way too much for my patience. So I ended up voting for declining (too similar) for the majority of them.

IMHO, a more acceptable way of submitting would be to group some cards to give samples of the different types of cards in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mossman
United States
Gaithersburg
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jezztek wrote:
I'm trying to upload a batch of component shots . . .

As you may have noticed, there has been some irritation on the board today with an uploaded set where every card in the collection was uploaded. The images weren't bad . . . just way too many. The venting from this issue is NOT directed at your work.

I wish I could help with your issue. I've enjoyed the photos that you've submitted. You have a good eye for composition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jezztek wrote:
Oh yeah, forgot to ask:

Only thing that comes to mind is to submit a correction under the game entry, using the image id#. But that means that the images have to be approved first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim U
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Jezztek wrote:
If I could highlight a batch and upload them in one go, that would be wonderful. Any reason why this isn't a good idea for you guys?

Your photography is exceptional. However, such a tool seems too powerful for the rabble (e.g., mcnamarad).

I hereby nominate Jezztek for privileged status and access to the mega-upload-tools that we rabble know you admins wield!

Jezztek don't need no stinkin' moderation!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kalgreen
United States
Columbus
OH
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
IronMoss wrote:

As you may have noticed, there has been some irritation on the board today with an uploaded set where every card in the collection was uploaded. The images weren't bad . . . just way too many. The venting from this issue is NOT directed at your work.

I wish I could help with your issue. I've enjoyed the photos that you've submitted. You have a good eye for composition.

Thanks much for your kind words (also to Jim U and Geosmores).

Yeah there seems to be some overlap today because of the cards someone is uploading. Even I think that's a bit excessive =) I usually just do a stack'n'flip sample of each deck of cards, and that seems enough. On the other hand, having a complete record of each card seems like something that is valuable resource, it just seems better suited as a .pdf in the files section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Penner
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jezztek wrote:
On the other hand, having a complete record of each card seems like something that is valuable resource, it just seems better suited as a .pdf in the files section.

In some cases it is good to have a reference for everything. But why can't there be multiple images per image? I would rather approve a pic of even 4 cards together than 4 individual cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Namaksy
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jezztek wrote:

Yeah there seems to be some overlap today because of the cards someone is uploading. Even I think that's a bit excessive =) I usually just do a stack'n'flip sample of each deck of cards, and that seems enough. On the other hand, having a complete record of each card seems like something that is valuable resource, it just seems better suited as a .pdf in the files section.

Maybe there is a place for something like, as you say a pdf. Or do 4 to 8 cards per photo would also work. I guess I would be more inclined to accept them if they were done with some love (like your photos) but those images were not square, cropped, slightly blurry etc. They were in my mind bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.