Subject: Five Tribes OR Lords of Vegas? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Wylie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps this is an "apples and oranges" kind of question, but that's my decision. I'm rewarding myself but limiting myself to only one, and I can't decide! I'll probably most often be playing 2-player games, but not exclusively.

Lords of Vegas has been around and proven itself against a certain test of time. I've also seen the Tabletop episode, so I have a slightly better idea of how it plays.

Five Tribes is the new, hot ticket, and my local game store recently got a fresh shipment of them. I love Days of Wonder and it looks so pretty with all the components, tiles, and cards. Is it a solid, fun game or is my interest a result of the "new shiny".

I realize everyone's different, I'd just be really interested in seeing what advocates have to say for either.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lewis
United States
Maryville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with Five Tribes. The TableTop episode of Lords of Vegas left me very cold on the game.

Edit - Love the avatar, Jake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Plainfield
ILLINOIS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is apples and steak vs apples and oranges. I really like lords of Vegas and thought five tribes was just so so. Lords flows very well, easy to teach, plenty of variety, can have lots of player interaction (if people are willing to gamble), doesn't create AP,' and has a nice amount of luck and strategy. While I would play either game if I had to choose it would be lords of Vegas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Urich
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Five Tribes is okay, but I wouldn't really recommend it. It's doubly bad if you play with anyone prone to AP. The board changes too much between turns to plan ahead, so it can easily wind up taking forever to play. I'd rather play a game that is more interesting and engaging that takes less time to play. That said, it's not a bad game. It's just not as good as other options.

I haven't had the opportunity to play Lords of Vegas, so I cannot comment on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
"Some fights will just get you bloody"
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Vegas all the way. Five tribes is new and will soon be forgotten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan Potter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose the real question is: strategy or luck? Randomness or complete control?

That's not to say there isn't strategy in Lords of Vegas, just that Five Tribes has almost no randomness (once you start playing, the set up is random though) so how much luck or randomness you like in a game is a good way to choose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Fraser
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played Lords of Vegas 25-30 times, and I would say it's excellent with 4, very good with 3, but mediocre with 2. If most of your gaming is going to be 2-player, it might not be your best option. If you ever play with 3 or 4 though, I highly recommend it. Super fun, cut throat game with lots of luck, but enough strategy that you feel like you earned the win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
RichardU wrote:
Five Tribes is okay, but I wouldn't really recommend it. It's doubly bad if you play with anyone prone to AP. The board changes too much between turns to plan ahead, so it can easily wind up taking forever to play. I'd rather play a game that is more interesting and engaging that takes less time to play. That said, it's not a bad game. It's just not as good as other options.

I haven't had the opportunity to play Lords of Vegas, so I cannot comment on that.

I disagree with all of the above. Give it a try, we love it (and I'm prone to AP). Lords of vegas is meh at best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LimitlessMegan wrote:
I suppose the real question is: strategy or luck? Randomness or complete control?

That's not to say there isn't strategy in Lords of Vegas, just that Five Tribes has almost no randomness (once you start playing, the set up is random though) so how much luck or randomness you like in a game is a good way to choose.

Are you sure you played five tribes? Or maybe you don't understand strategy... Both have fair amount of luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Jarvin
United States
Clearwater
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Split the difference and buy Istanbul?

I enjoy both of them, for different reasons and with different people. Do you have a local FLGS where you can try them out?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn
United States
Southgate
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have Lords of Vegas along with the Lords of Vegas: UP! expansion and we enjoy it a lot.

After watching some reviews and play sessions of Five Tribes I decided that it's not a game that interests me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mandy Benanav
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My boyfriend and I both like Lords of Vegas, but have found it really frustrating as a 2 player experience. Competitive 2 player games are generally zero-sum experiences, which in a game with a high luck factor like LoV can make the any bad luck really sting. If you get several bad rolls in a row against your opponent, even when doing something small like gambling, it can feel like you're never going to catch up and really suck the fun out of it. We will not play 2p anymore.

I haven't played Five Tribes, but I would say if you're primarily going to be doing 2p don't go for Lords of Vegas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge fan of Lords of Vegas so it gets my recommendation. I think the Vegas setting justifies the random elements, and most adults can relate to the theme better than other settings. I also like how it forces leaders to take more risks, which I feel helps keep scores close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Stewart
Macao
msg tools
mbmb
I love Lords of Vegas (especially as a gateway game), but I want to agree with the others and say that it is not a good 2 player game. To be honest, I won't even play it with three players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played Lords of Vegas, but would like to. I own Five Tribes and have played it somewhere between 12 and 15 times. I thoroughly enjoy Five Tribes at all player counts. I have had two 4 player games slow down a bit due to AP, but it was more the players than the game. Usually a 4 player game will clock in at around 75 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan Potter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DanielFirestorm wrote:
LimitlessMegan wrote:

Are you sure you played five tribes? Or maybe you don't understand strategy... Both have fair amount of luck.

Oh yes, let's be insulting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Vegas does NOT play very well with 2p. It's not even great with 3p. It's a great 4p game though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Parker
Australia
Elanora Heights
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caractus wrote:
I would go with Five Tribes. The TableTop episode of Lords of Vegas left me very cold on the game.

Edit - Love the avatar, Jake.

Not always the best way of judging. The Sherriff of Nottingham episode was terrible and the Fiasco episodes are terrific, but I don't think I could get my friends to play Fiasco, and Sherriff of Nottingham is great.

These questions always depend on knowing your group. What do they like!??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Vegas is by far the better game, but doesn't suit two player well at all.

I say go back to the drawing board.

For a great two-player game with the dice rolling of LoV, and the combo-building of Five Tribes, I would highly recommend Seasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Bush
United States
West Decatur
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
At all cost
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LimitlessMegan wrote:
DanielFirestorm wrote:
LimitlessMegan wrote:

Oh yes, let's be insulting.

was shooting for an honest diagnosis...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Attica J
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
I absolutely love Five Tribes And it plays great with two players. I think Lords of Vegas shines with 4 and really isnt fun with only 2. Besides, I think Five Tribes is a much better game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Wylie
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all this feedback! I love the Geek! You guys and gals are great.

Yeah, my 2-player situation arises from my RPG-Sunday evening tradition where, when we're finished with our role-playing session, everybody leaves for early Monday mornings but one guy. The two of us usually get a board game in before we call it a night.

I'm seeing a pretty strong trend that Lords of Vegas, while a solid game, plays less than ideally with only 2-players ... which I see being a pretty strong general trend for most games touting 2-4 or 2-5 players.

I've also seen what seems to be the core of Five Tribes - the chaos between turns due to other players manipulations of the board - both disliked and praised. On the one hand, it's frustrating that you're reacting more than planning. But I recently watched the Game Boy Geek from the Dice Tower talk about how the chaos was one of his favorite aspects of the game, where if you bid low in the turn order because there's no big move for you, go last, and end up pleasantly surprised by the opportunities now available due to what the prior players had done.

Now, this seems a fairly specific instance, and I can see how, if you're starting a turn with hopes to go first and end up second or third after the bid and earlier players "mess up" the board, this could be more of an unpleasant surprise ... but the risk of frustration and disappointment should be present in a game, because otherwise everyone would succeed all the time and there'd be no sense of satisfaction? But of course there's a balance. Does this game teeter the balance too strongly in the negative with frequent, pointless frustrations, or is it a "happy" chaos that perhaps might require a certain headspace and "letting go" of more long term strategies? I don't know! laugh

Oh, and ...
caractus wrote:
Love the avatar, Jake.

Thanks! My sister drew it on a random whim and I was like, "Yoink!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Buffington
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love me some Five Tribes. It's a game of deeper strategy than it look on the surface. I've played games where all 4 players took a different strategy completely, and the score differential was only about 20 points from last to first. That adds a lot of replay value to the game, beyond the fact that tiles and meeple piles are randomly set for each new game. I will agree, AP can be somewhat of an issue later on in games (I'm guilty of that laugh).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.