Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Through the Ages, my first game play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trond Meistad
Norway
Drammen
flag msg tools
After two hours of demo play at Essen and a repetition by myself I was ready for the first game of Through the Ages. We were supposed to be three but ended up with two players, but I wanted to play it none the less. I spent 30 minutes teaching my opponent the game and we played the advanced game. This game is meant for experienced board game players only, and it is not necessary to play the simple game first. The advanced game is so much better, and I am afraid the simple game is too a bit too simple and will be to dull and solitaire playing.

The yellow stones where missing from my game copy, so I’m using the cubes from my Wallenstein game. I hope I’ll get the yellow stone from the publisher, but no word from them as yet.

I started the game by drawing Moses, giving me 1 food in rebate when recruiting people for my civilization. Later I drew Pyramids and built it ASAP. My opponent drew Homer and built the Hanging Garden wonder. Obviously he was going for an early culture production, while I was focusing on increasing my production and civil actions.

My board, early into the first epoch.

My opponent.

The score board.

My opponent continued building culture production and this became a problem for me. Then disaster for me, my opponent got hold of the Taj Mahal wonder that, alone, gave 3 more culture production for him. I was screwed and desperately looked at the available cards to find a something that would increase my culture production, none where there, and none came in the next rounds. The temple building was the only I had and too late I got the Drama building. Still I was lagging behind.

My board.

My opponent.

The score board.

The game was lost. When we arrived at the second Era, my opponent had a solid lead in culture, and I was still five points behind in culture production. The weather forecast for tomorrow was the first snow of the winter and he had not yet changed to winter tires on his car, so we quit the game. I would have wanted to play more though, or even better start a new, because of the 40 games I brought back from Essen, this is the game I want to play.

Through the ages is a wonderful game. As you build your civilization you must balance your production, try to get the edge in some way, and keep an eye on what your opponents are doing. This time I learned a lesson well. Don’t let your opponents make off culturally as I did. It is impossible to catch up. Perhaps if we’d been more players we could have built military.

Still loosing is as enjoyable as winning, due the shear pleasure of playing the game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.