Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read through other threads regarding the two Captain America cards "Avengers Assemble" and "Perfect Teamwork" and I'm clear on the colors and S.H.I.E.L.D. gray and all that.

My confusion (and resulting question) stems from the fact that these are "0+" cards that give a +1 bonus for each color of hero you have.

Adding to the confusion is what they say in the rule book, page 16: "For example, say you play Captain America's "Perfect Teamwork" card. If you've played this green card and two blue cards this turn, and you still have two black cards and a red card in your hand, the Perfect Teamwork would make 4 Power, since you have four colors of Heroes."

By the way this is worded, it would seem that this card should be a 1+ Power instead of 0+ Power, shouldn't it? I mean, the example given seems to indicate this card, if played by itself, would give +1 power because of the green (or yellow, as the case may be) of this card, itself.

So is it a typo to have them be "0+" or am I reading too much into this?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It's +1 for each color. Green is a color.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Walker
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
mb
The text on each of these cards indicates recruit/attack power in addition to the printed value on the card. The printed attack/recruit is zero.

It is true that because the card has a color (green or yellow depending on which one we're talking about), it will at a minimum produce 1 attack/recruit. However, there is often a difference between the printed attack/recruit on a card and the attack/recruit it actually generates (this difference is particularly important for some cards which would mimic the printed attack/recruit value of another card).

To look at it another way. Let's suppose that the cards were printed as "1+". Then having 4 colors of heroes in your possession (including the card itself) means that the cards would generate 5 attack/recruit. Because they have a printed value of "0+", having 4 colors of cards only generates 4 attack/recruit.

You could imagine rewording the cards to say something like "1+: This card generates an additional +1 recruit power for each color you have in addition to yellow", but that would probably end up being even more confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dog, I'm not sure I understand why my question generated your snide remark. I acknowledged that green is a color in my question.

But thanks for your answer Jacob. I guess I see your point. I guess it would have made more sense to me if it were a 1+ card that said, "You get +1 RECRUIT/POWER for each additional color" or something to that effect, but I get what you're saying.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thud105 wrote:
Dog, I'm not sure I understand why my question generated your snide remark.

IMHO, I doubt it was intended to be a snide remark. I think it was just a very succinct answer to your question. In any case, with all sincerity, welcome to the Legendary BGG community!

Have you checked the Unofficial Collected FAQ, Clarifications, and Errata from the BGG forums with links.? It doesn't cover all the cards, but it's a super-useful resource and always worth checking when you're not sure about how to play some a card or interaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Thud105 wrote:
I guess it would have made more sense to me if it were a 1+ card that said, "You get +1 RECRUIT/POWER for each additional color" or something to that effect, but I get what you're saying.

Thanks!

0 +1 for each color
1 +1 for each additional color

Are practically the same, but not always.

The difference is what happens to *other* cards that have effect based on its base attack?

For example, Blade's rare card (I'm terrible with card names) says you discard cards from the top of your deck and gain attack equal to their listed attack.

So in this case, it makes a difference if Cap had a 0 or 1 as its base attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys! And thanks Darth for the welcome! I got the basic game about 2 weeks ago and have played it 6 times so far with my sons (ages 9 and 7). So far evil hasn't won, but came close on the Bank Robbery and Legacy Virus. I have checked out that FAQ and it really is helpful - it clarified a couple things for us already. Between that and these forums, I've had several questions answered (some of which I wasn't aware I had yet!)

For Tomer, I hadn't considered the effects or powers of other cards. Your example of Blade made perfect sense even though I don't have Dark City (yet).

Great game though! I'm hoping to find a group or store in my area that has gatherings (pardon the term) to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.