Perikles» Forums » Rules

Subject: Defining the column for the CRT rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oriol Garcia

Barcelona
msg tools
designer
One thing I couldn't quite get is the Combat Results Table. Not because of the Table itself but rather because the rules and the example they provide seem to contradict themselves.

That is, if "The player with the greater combat strength must use the column that is most favourable to them if more than one column fits the situation", why "an attack with a strength of 3 against a defence of 4 would use the 1:1 column" in the following example instead of using the -2 column, which would be more favourable to the defender (this being the player with the greater strength)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Szukalow
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Mabuse wrote:
"an attack with a strength of 3 against a defence of 4 ...

Because 4 - 3 = 1 not 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiamat
United States
Plymouth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
This confused me too because it isn't clear what "fits the situation" means and I couldn't believe the rounding direction should depend on which side is stronger.

The interpretation I am using is that you take the rightmost column that is less than or equal to the attacker:defender strength ratio.

edit: Oh, except that I am not counting -2 unless attacker really is as low as -2. So maybe I'm doing it right after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason for the rule:

eaxample 1: attacker=2, defender=4
-> must chose between -2, or 1:2
-> because defender has majority strength, the defender chose in their advantage ie the 1:2 column

examplpe 2: attacker=3, defender=1
-> must chose between +2. 2:1, or 3:1
-> because attacker has majority strength, the attacker choses column intheir best advantage, ie 3:1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.