Subject: some questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
I'm thinking of picking up this game for solitaire play. Does it scale up to Memoir 44? How do you play it? Also, now that 1A takes over, are the bases better than before? If not, do you really need all of them to play the scenarios or can I just use the few goood ones?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill jaffe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
well lets tackle these one at a time
it's a bit different from Memoir44 as the cards assist play not control your play ie you can always take actions with your whole force not just parts of it
you can play it solitaire even though it's designed for two, i do all the time.
the Rules are available on the 1agames.com website
the bases are far better than before as are the pegs on the infantry figures

bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
how about scenario unbalance issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesting wrote:

If you are playing solitaire i am not sure why scenario balance is a concern, but as a scenario-based game system there is the typical wide variety of balance situations. For solitaire purposes it should be easy enough to tweak the balance of any given scenario to suit your tastes.

That said, the 1A updates to previous scenarios have reportedly improved the balance of those that needed adjustment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron H
United States
Washington
Missouri
flag msg tools
I play Memor 44,Tide of Iron, and Axis and Allies:1942!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesting wrote:
I'm thinking of picking up this game for solitaire play. Does it scale up to Memoir 44? How do you play it? Also, now that 1A takes over, are the bases better than before? If not, do you really need all of them to play the scenarios or can I just use the few goood ones?

Thanks

I have both games, and although Memoir has been my favorite for a few years (I have all expansions except the bag), I must say that TOI is rapidly replacing it as a favorite. I like that the cards enhance play rather than control play. I really like that you get to issue orders to all of your units. I like the somewhat greater flexibility of the Memoir maps, but feel that Tide can lend itself to almost any scenario, especially when the Pacific expansion comes out.
"And while the hordes of death are mighty, the battalions of life are mightier still. It is my hope that my son, when I am gone, will remember me not from the battle but in the home repeating with him our simple daily prayer, 'Our Father who art in heaven." Douglas MacArthur <><
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willem Boersma
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
wargamer55 wrote:
charlesting wrote:

If you are playing solitaire i am not sure why scenario balance is a concern, but as a scenario-based game system there is the typical wide variety of balance situations. For solitaire purposes it should be easy enough to tweak the balance of any given scenario to suit your tastes.

That said, the 1A updates to previous scenarios have reportedly improved the balance of those that needed adjustment.

Even though it's true that when playing solitaire you always win cool, I can't say I'm actually having fun playing a very poorly balanced scenario in which one side has no chance whatsoever to win it. Sure you can tweak things to your own tastes, but I think anyone may expect a solid product including well-balanced scenarios out of the box when you've paid good money for it.

But yes, the revised scenarios are much better than the original ones from the Base game. The Stalingrad scenarios are also well-balanced. Of course several others from previous expansions are as well, but then you really need to find out beforehand which ones are and which ones aren't...The DoTF ones have also been looked at and have been improved for the 1A version. FoTB scenarios are also being worked on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
I know I should try a few scenarios before jumping into expansions. But out of curiousity, what does each one bring, since little is described about them? They look almost standalones to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill jaffe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
none of the Expansions are stand alone
Days of the Fox introduces the British and Desert warfare
Normandy has more British plus the campaign of the 29th infantry division
Fury of the Bear adds Soviets and winter boards
Stalingrad adds dense city boards and a campaign as well
the Designers book vol 1 adds a bunch of scenarios

bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
skinsfan wrote:
none of the Expansions are stand alone
Days of the Fox introduces the British and Desert warfare
Normandy has more British plus the campaign of the 29th infantry division
Fury of the Bear adds Soviets and winter boards
Stalingrad adds dense city boards and a campaign as well
the Designers book vol 1 adds a bunch of scenarios

bill

I mean special rules wise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill jaffe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
can you elaborate what your are asking?

bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
Other than different settings with more map boards, plastic figures, cards, etc, any special rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bill jaffe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
some scenarios have special rules for historical purposes

bill

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hss Hss
Norway
flag msg tools
Days of the fox introduces the AT gun for the first time, gives you Crussader, Matilda and panzer III, a new earlier stats for panzer IV.
Gives you the british and 3 new specializations, which now are part of standard version. It gives some good decks. It also has good scenarios. Early tanks are quit fun. It also comes in a brand new version soon.
This one also enables you to play all scenarios in the design series book.

Normandy introduces the beautiful beaches which looks great, bunker rules, the M10 (which now also comes as standard in the new wave). this one also gives you british infantry. It also gives more German tanks, but to my taste their stats is to similar to the regular versions. Look good though.

Fury of the bear gives you the Russians tanks T34, KV-1 and su-122, which all are nice fun tanks. Gives you winter boards and which looks great.

Stalingrad, in my opinion the best scenario. Some very good scenarios, some excelent and fun specializations, restrictions (unarmed and hungry). Sewers movement which is just great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.