4 Posts

Advanced Squad Leader: Starter Kit #1» Forums » Rules

Subject: Defender may fire more than once...? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pasi Pitkänen
Finland
flag msg tools

In which situations same DEFENDER unit may fire more than once ?

- SSF ?
- with MG's ?
- when attacker moves in LOS hex using 2 MF ?

I'm trying to finde answers in this questions. There are answers but all have been explained kind of hard way. I don't know is there an easy way to explain this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Pitkänen
Finland
flag msg tools
Yep. SFF - Now all is going to make sense. Thanks a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ted's explanation is correct (or so I think) but maybe to much "proffesional" for you as it was for me. So I will tell you how I learnt it.

1. You can only fire at full power 1 time per Defensive fire. (Put a First Fire marker)
2. You can fire a second time at half fire power as Subsequent First Fire. (Put a Final Fire marker)
2.1. The enemy target has to be no further than any other target (so if it is at the same distance is OK)
2.2. The enemy target has to spend at least one Movement Factor.
i.e. There is only one enemy target and it moves into a building (2MF) you could fire once at full power (First Fire) and a second time as Subsequent First Fire therefore halved.
i.e.2. The only enemy unit moves one hex in open ground -you fire at full power FF- then a second hex -you fire at halve power SFF
3. You can fire infinite numbers of time with the Fire Power halved as Final Protective Fire and doubled for Point Blank Fire.
3.1. The enemy unit has to be adjacent to your unit.
3.2. You can fire as many times to that unit as MF it spent to enter the hex.
3.3. Your attack die roll will also act as a Normal Moral Check for your unit.
i.e. The enemy unit enters a building hex with smoke (I think that would be 3 MF) so you attack at full power doubled for PBF (DFF), then you attack with fire power halved and doubled for PBF (SFF) and finally you could attack with FP halved and doubled for PBF (FPF) being your die used also as a NMC.
If afterwards, a second unit came adjacent you could fire once more (or more if it spent more MF) as FPF.

O.K. I am pretty confident with this. Now lets talk about MG (not so sure)

MG can be used in any of the phases described above on its own or with the MultiManCounter that it is attached to. With the following differences:

1. If the coloured die number is less than the Rate of Fire, the MG retains Rate of Fire and it is not placed under the First Fire marker so it can attack in this phase (enemy movement phase or Final Defensive Fire phase) again at full strengh. This can be done as long as the MG retains ROF.
2. If the MG fires together with the attached unit and this unit has already been marked with a FF marker, loses ROF and attacks as SFF (halved)

I hope it helps you, I am learning it, and playing it, by myself and I find the threads here very useful. Look for Jay Richardson's posts, I've learnt all (or nothing) I know of this game from his posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Pitkänen
Finland
flag msg tools
Yep. Thanks. I learned a lot from Jay's posts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.